Vista Installation Hangs on Completing Installation

Ryck

Limp Gawd
Okay I have tried to install Vista 64 Premium on a new rig and it continually hangs on Completing Installation. (It will hang there for over an hour)
Here are the specs of the PC

Intel C2Q 2400
4 Gig Corsair Memory(Passed Memtest)
Abit X38 Quad GT Motherboard
160GB Western Digital Sata HD (Set to AHCI in BIOS)
2X500GB Western Digital Sata HDs (Set to AHCI in BIOS)
2XLiteON DVDRW on JMicron Controller
8800GTS Video Card.
PC Power and Cooling 750Watt PS

1)All USB Devices are unplugged and disabled in BIOS
2) Loaded the AHCI Driver from Disc
3)Also tried without loading the AHCI Driver.

Any suggestions for fixing this problem?

Nice setup there, especially the choice of the power supply. That's the only brand I buy and recommend, ever. :)

My suggestion:

Pull out everything that does NOT need to be there to do a basic installation of Vista, meaning make the system as barebones as you can.

Pull out 1 of the optical drives, pull out any and all hard drives that are not absolutely essential for the OS itself. Reset the BIOS to factory defaults, use onboard video if possible (don't know anything about that board but if it has such a thing, use it). I know you said the memory passed the memtest - to me a "pass" on memtest means memtest86 ran for 12 hours, and not a minute less but that's just me - try yanking out 2GB of it and keeping the system as bare as possible. If it's a no go, swap the sticks and try the other 2GB, then try a mix of 'em, who knows. Anything can happen.

Try installing with the hard drive in ATA mode also, if that works you can add the latest ACHI drivers after the fact.

Give that a shot and see what happens. Good luck...

Thanks for the input I am in the process of trying that now.
I have disconnected 1 DVDRW and 2 hard drives, and removed on stick of ram.
When I say it has passed memtest I also mean for 12 hours, so thats good there.

How does one install ahci drivers after installing vista?

On strange thing is that when I set it to AHCI in BIOS sometimes it will not detect my HD's.

The random misdetection of the drives is something to look into, could be indicative of a faulty controller, or perhaps the drives aren't spinning up fast enough. :( That's a tough one to specifically troubleshoot.

Usually just installing the Windows version of the drivers is sufficient to also cover the textmode setup/installation/booting drivers also. Those are normally the ones you load with the F6 trick in XP; Vista works similarly but can read from floppy, CD/DVD, or USB sticks too.

Thats the strange thing as if I put it in IDE mode it works perfectly.

Okay for an update I have got through the Vista Installation by removing a 2 gig dimm.
I then went through the installation and then installed all other devices.
I installed all the drivers I could think of;JMicron, Intel's Chipset Drivers, Graphics Drivers, Soundcard Drivers, and I still have an unknown device. I believe it has to be something on the motherboard. I have disabled onboard sound so thats not it. Any suggestions?

Nevermind it was the uguru chip that comes on this board.

i never have luck installing windows on AHCI mode :(
prolly it just my P35-DQ6 wont work well using AHCI.

Well I installed Vista in AHCI mode no problems there, I think I got lucky.
Now moving on I'm trying to configure my Haupauge PVR150MCE in Windows Media Center with no luck as of now.

It says in on there web page that it is supported so I guess just more fiddling with it.

Back