Vista Install problem

Comte

Gawd
I am trying to install windows vista (upgrade, but a clean install) on a IP35-E motherboard. Everytime I try to install, i get a BSOD and a stop message. Its error 0x0000007B. That leads me to believe its a error with my SATA controller, but I cant find any driver to load to make this work. I am trying to put it on my secondary HDD as listed below. Does anyone here have any ideas on what driver I might need, or a way to fix this problem?

If it's a P35 chipset motherboard, it's probably Intel ICH-9, drivers of which are in F6 floppy format on Intel's site.

You don't need to load any drivers for that chipset in Vista. Try pulling 1 GB of your system memory, and give that a shot. Is this intended to be a dual boot setup?

You don't need to load any drivers for that chipset in Vista. Try pulling 1 GB of your system memory, and give that a shot. Is this intended to be a dual boot setup?

Yes, and I already removed all but 1gb in the system and I am getting the same error.....

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Maybe you can find out more about the error message in the Event Viewer.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Maybe you can find out more about the error message in the Event Viewer.

This is during a install. The window with the green bar comes up, then i get the BSOD. I guess I can try to install it again and see if I can get into F8, but I really dont think that will work.

I was thinking when install ends and you reboot into Windows for the first time. How about resetting the BIOS to default setting?

I was thinking when install ends and you reboot into Windows for the first time. How about resetting the BIOS to default setting?

I will try that. And my bios already has default settings (no overclocking or anything.) But I can try that too....

I got further along when i got into Safe mode, Once I got in safe mode it expanded the rest of the files and started to work normally.

but now I think that my video card is unsupported....Windows upgrade advisor says its unsupported.

Why is a ATI 3870 unsupported in Windows Vista? Its a DX 10.1 card....

Is your motherboard an nForce board? I think I read awhile back where nVidia boards and ATi cards don't always play nice in Vista.

Edit: I think it was AGP cards that were unsupported and incompatible.

Is your motherboard an nForce board? I think I read awhile back where nVidia boards and ATi cards don't always play nice in Vista.

Edit: I think it was AGP cards that were unsupported and incompatible.

No, I have an Abit IP-35E, which is a Intel P35 chipset. That shouldnt be a factor here.

Install GPU drivers and reboot PC.

I cant get to a working desktop, the install fails at the last moment and wont go any farther....I got a spare X1300 video card I am going to try next.....Maybe I can get it working with that then switch over to the 3870.

Ok, I tried a X1300 video card, and it got to the very last moment in installing vista again and gave me a "can not install error." My plan now is to find one of my IDE HDD and see if I can install it on there. Then if that works, I will ghost it to the drive I want it on and see if that works.

This is the biggest pain I have ever had installing a operating system. I dont have anything exotic or anything, its all pretty standard stuff. It wasnt this hard to install windows 3.1 back in the day...

Back