Vista hysteria among general public out of control

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. That was an nvidia bug and I'm happy to say that it was fixed with the 158.18 drivers! (finally! that was driving me nuts!)

2. That's a problem with punkbuster and UAC. I love BF2142 and it runs great for me in Vista / 32 bit w/ nvidia gfx card. (50+ hours with no crashes). To fix this problem you can either disable UAC or on your BF2142 icon, right click and chose "Run as Administrator."

3. It sounds like more driver issues - I would uninstall your drivers and try out the 158.18's! They work MUCH better than than the 100.64's!

1. Nope, using the 158.18's. I press the power button and nothing happens.

2. I am running the program with admin privileges. Vista is BLUE-SCREENING. This simply should not happen, no matter what the app or driver is doing, and I'm pretty sure my hardware is fine, as it works in XP. My memory passes memtest and Vista's own memory test.

3. Again, I'm using the latest betas.

1. Nope, using the 158.18's. I press the power button and nothing happens.

2. I am running the program with admin privileges. Vista is BLUE-SCREENING. This simply should not happen, no matter what the app or driver is doing, and I'm pretty sure my hardware is fine, as it works in XP. My memory passes memtest and Vista's own memory test.

3. Again, I'm using the latest betas.

Ahh... interesting!

I was reading through the installation notes for the 158.18's and they said that if you have problems:

Reboot
Uninstall 158.18's
Reboot
Reinstall 158.18's
Reboot

Did you try that? Also, which card ya got?

And, if you're not ready to throw in the towel yet, here are the steps you can take to find out if the problem is due to a bad driver uininstallation (not your fault - they are beta drivers... crap happens...)

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
2. On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
3. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then click to clear the Enable Write Combining check box.
4. Click OK, and then click OK.

If the BSOD's go away, you can uninstall the drivers and then attempt to manually clean up whatever the uninstall process left behind... pain in the arse, I know... (and this is just an educated guess based on the specific STOP error you received)

Ahh... interesting!

I was reading through the installation notes for the 158.18's and they said that if you have problems:

Reboot
Uninstall 158.18's
Reboot
Reinstall 158.18's
Reboot

Did you try that? Also, which card ya got?

I did that, and I have an 8800GTS. Also, I should point out that I'm using x64, so YMMV.

Anyway, the CTD is in memory.dll, and the BSOD looks like a memory error as well.

It is getting out of hand.

I'd just like everyone to stop pretending or thinking that they're better than everyone else. Maybe you guys really, honestly, don't see it. But I've been watching and attempting to stand up to what I've come to refer to as the Vista Anti-Defamation-League. It's like the Jewish Anti-Defamation-League minus the Torah and that hot Sarah Silverman chick (okay maybe she's not a member but she is a Jew and she IS hot). Any and every imagined transgression against the reputation of Vista is disseminated and dealt with, whether cordially or viciously. It cannot just be left to stand on its own merits for other people to come to their own conclusion. It's like you guys think everyone else is so stupid that they cannot tell a rant from a legitimate complaint and therefore you must step up to defend the honor of Microsoft or something. It's lunacy. Step back once and just look at how fucking silly it is, seriously. Its really getting to the point where you've got to practically write a fucking book just to have your opinion respected in these forums, and it shouldn't be that way.

Lets all admit it, to each other. We're all arguing for the sake of arguing. Its mindless entertainment. We all want to believe we are right, all the time. And not only that, but we want others to believe it too. You are no better than me. I am no better than you. Except at arguing. Nigerians have amazing powers of persuasion. And lay off the people who have a problem with Vista. There's nothing wrong with not liking an operating system. Its not like they're disrespecting your mother.

The sooner we can do that, the sooner we can get along.

I did that, and I have an 8800GTS. Also, I should point out that I'm using x64, so YMMV.

Anyway, the CTD is in memory.dll, and the BSOD looks like a memory error as well.

Bummer! That's frustrating for sure.

I just found another thread that indicates that it might be due to Creative drivers interacting with nvidia drivers... did you update to the 3/20/07 creative drivers or are you using the 12/20/06 ones? (or neither?)

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t30284.html

Bummer! That's frustrating for sure.

I just found another thread that indicates that it might be due to Creative drivers interacting with nvidia drivers... did you update to the 3/20/07 creative drivers or are you using the 12/20/06 ones? (or neither?)

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t30284.html

I am using the ones dated 3/15 on Creative's site.

I realize EA and Creative don't employ the sharpest tools in the shed, and I could understand an application crash. However, a blue-screen really sullies my opinion of Vista in general, especially since the Creative drivers have passed Microsoft's own certification.

Comment made in a thread where people were doing their best to obfuscate an argument with misleading tales about how Vista wouldn't run on hardware nobody in their right mind would even consider using for XP nowadays! 'Twas strong comment and, in context, warranted. Don't be lumping it in with any instances of people throwing about strong comment as if it were confetti ;)

The man himself posted comment indicating that, when he consulted error logs the 'error' proved to be the lack of a connection. I didn't think it any sort of 'leap'. I was merely going by what he'd reported.

Heh so you are saying Vista needs a working internet connection in order to install succesfully? So we can forget any install attempt outside connectivity.

Now THAT alone is reason enough to stick with XP.

I am using the ones dated 3/15 on Creative's site.

I realize EA and Creative don't employ the sharpest tools in the shed, and I could understand an application crash. However, a blue-screen really sullies my opinion of Vista in general, especially since the Creative drivers have passed Microsoft's own certification.

Agreed :) Broken drivers should never pass WHQL.

I know the Creative drivers did, but I don't know for sure if the 158.18's did - I'm running the 32bit version of Vista so driver signing doesn't impact me as much as it does you.

It is getting out of hand.

I'd just like everyone to stop pretending or thinking that they're better than everyone else. Maybe you guys really, honestly, don't see it. But I've been watching and attempting to stand up to what I've come to refer to as the Vista Anti-Defamation-League. It's like the Jewish Anti-Defamation-League minus the Torah and that hot Sarah Silverman chick (okay maybe she's not a member but she is a Jew and she IS hot). Any and every imagined transgression against the reputation of Vista is disseminated and dealt with, whether cordially or viciously. It cannot just be left to stand on its own merits for other people to come to their own conclusion. It's like you guys think everyone else is so stupid that they cannot tell a rant from a legitimate complaint and therefore you must step up to defend the honor of Microsoft or something. It's lunacy. Step back once and just look at how fucking silly it is, seriously. Its really getting to the point where you've got to practically write a fucking book just to have your opinion respected in these forums, and it shouldn't be that way.

Lets all admit it, to each other. We're all arguing for the sake of arguing. Its mindless entertainment. We all want to believe we are right, all the time. And not only that, but we want others to believe it too. You are no better than me. I am no better than you. Except at arguing. Nigerians have amazing powers of persuasion. And lay off the people who have a problem with Vista. There's nothing wrong with not liking an operating system. Its not like they're disrespecting your mother.

The sooner we can do that, the sooner we can get along.

Trust me, I dont think I'd ever want to get into an arguement with a Nigerian. I think I have learned a thing or two in this thread. I'll make as many Nigerian friends as possible, becouse then I'd never lose. :D

The way I think of it is kinda like this. People can believe what they want to believe... Evryone. On both sides of the fence....

So I will take the opportunity to say my peice, and if someone personally attacks me I will defend myself, but short of that, I say what is on my mind, and then move on... Its when I get called troll, or a FUD mongerer or something else unreasonable that I speak up in defence... But there is always a time to step back and let things roll alongf past you.

Some people are just plain stubborn, and no amount of defense will pursuade them. So let it roll on by...

Anyhow that is just me. My own way of dealing with conflict I guess.

Heh so you are saying Vista needs a working internet connection in order to install succesfully? So we can forget any install attempt outside connectivity.

that is retarded...it is stupid to say it can't install without internet access. mainly cuz i've done it 2 times and its worked fine. it works just like any other OS install and will wait to connect to download updates or whatever else it needs to do.

Agreed :) Broken drivers should never pass WHQL.

I know the Creative drivers did, but I don't know for sure if the 158.18's did - I'm running the 32bit version of Vista so driver signing doesn't impact me as much as it does you.

158.18's are beta, but they install fine on x64. They simply have to be signed by the publisher. This does not equal WHQL, which itself has no apparent value.

I don't think it's even acceptable for broken drivers to crash the OS. The kernel should simply restart the relevant sub-systems. Wasn't this one of the selling points of Vista?

Nope. Not what I said at all. You posted (numerous times) about how Vista was crap because when you tried to install Media Player on what later was explained as an 'N' version the install wouldn't work. Then you posted comment mentioning that you checked logs anbd found that the problem was a lack of internet connection during the install.

What are people to think from those comments other than what I posted?

Personally, I think that if you chose to purchase an 'N' edition when you actually wanted Media Player you were demopnstrating a rather odd approach right from the outset. But nevermind, it's all good :)

Nope. Not what I said at all. You posted (numerous times) about how Vista was crap because when you tried to install Media Player on what later was explained as an 'N' version the install wouldn't work. Then you posted comment mentioning that you checked logs anbd found that the problem was a lack of internet connection during the install.

What are people to think from those comments other than what I posted?

Personally, I think that if you chose to purchase an 'N' edition when you actually wanted Media Player you were demopnstrating a rather odd approach right from the outset. But nevermind, it's all good :)

You seem illiterate. I never at any point said I purchased the N version. I used one on a machine provided to me. The mediaplayer installation _is_ meant to restore WMP to the N version. It did _not_. It failed on an unknown error during installation. The same package mysteriously enough works just fine with Windows XP.

See no evil, hear no evil right? :confused:

heh heh..........

Oh yeah now you can feel superior when a non-native english speaker makes a fucking typo. Get a grip.

Let's continue the discussion in finnish or swedish and see how well you do. Deal?

Nope, no deal, and it's a ridiculous thing to suggest.

The typo/spelling mistake was an obvious one, and was funny enough to merit a chuckle. Your command of both English and idiom is perfectly fine, and I commend you for it. What I don't commend you for, however, is the continued habit of omitting detail and then trotting out those details AFTER somebody has commented, going on the attack in doing so. That's not a 'non-native language' thing in any way, and it's been done often enough to warrant speculation that it is a deliberate ploy.

I very, very rarely use this, but.....

:rolleyes:

158.18's are beta, but they install fine on x64. They simply have to be signed by the publisher. This does not equal WHQL, which itself has no apparent value.

I don't think it's even acceptable for broken drivers to crash the OS. The kernel should simply restart the relevant sub-systems. Wasn't this one of the selling points of Vista?

Yes - one of the selling points of Vista and its new device driver model is that drivers would run mostly in user mode, so that a driver crash would not bring down the entire system as often. In my experience (using ATI's drivers), that has been the case - I've had a few odd issues with 3D applications and have successfully been bounced back to the desktop when the device stopped responding.

(I'll readily admit that this is an oversimplification of the actual driver model and way it works - I had to dumb it down enough so I could understand it. http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTkyNzgsLCxobmV3cywsLDE= has a nice article on ATI's take of the model from back in June, including a nice picture)

Everyone in the corner.
You've had your fun.

Here is how things should work.
You guys apparently had some misunderstandings.
Ok.
Move on.
This whole troll and FUD thing is getting out of hand. I don't want to see people being called out as trolls or their statements immediately dismissed as FUD. More like you should inquire further into their issues. What happened here? This whole Vista release has just an ugly line in the sand on this forum and you guys made it. Nothing is perfect, as well as nothing is as bad as it seems. I'm just asking for you guys to stop attacking each other, stop making this whole thing so personal and stop chewing each other out. You guys have all contributed to this forum in a positive way at one time or another and now you are ALL bringing the forum down a notch. All of you. I'm sorry, but it's true. I'm not against some fun and games, but there is some straight mean spiritedness in here and it's saddening to see in this forum. I can see where some people are coming from about being ganged up on for differing opinions. We have had problems with holier than art thou attitudes on this forum before and always come down to your crap stinking as much as the next guys. We've also had a problem with overly defensive attitudes on this forum as well. The two just fuel each other and some of you thrive one it.

Whatever issues you guys have, move past it.

I'm going to leave this open so everyone can kiss and make up.

Get to it.

Judging by your title, you already have.

I'm just looking for people to relax, take a breath, look at the past threads that may have gotten locked or that I have had to post warnings in and think for a second about what I'm saying. I don't like the term "troll" and FUD is valid, but I'd rather not see it thrown around early on in discussions. It's a word that gets people riled up, sort of dismissing their problems before you've really gotten into it. I'm sure some people don't expect to get raked over the coals for mentioning an issue that they have if they don't provide detailed information right off the bat. People will have problems and some won't. We saw an example of a miscommunication issue blow out of proportion in this thread.

Someone give me a hug.

I will say that after reading these posts I gave Vista another install try. Vista itself is running fine minus one BSOD and I think it had to do with running DreamScene background and trying to install Supreme Commander. But something I did notice when I tried to boot back into XP (yes I did a dual boot) is that I can't boot back into XP. When attempting to boot into XP it just hangs at a black screen.

As for the hugs and kisses. I noticed some people come off as a know it all. I think if people claim guru status they should provide credits to back it up. I can say I own 300 Lambos and 300000 BMWs but without the proof then its just lies.

As for the hugs and kisses. I noticed some people come off as a know it all. I think if people claim guru status they should provide credits to back it up. I can say I own 300 Lambos and 300000 BMWs but without the proof then its just lies.
How exactly would that work? I can say instead of being an IT Manager, that I'm a CIO of a large company. Anyone can say anything online.

Why not just have people learn to read on their own? If someone posts a comment that's an obvious lie and is disputed...instead of anyone adding to the fray, go off and read about the truth yourself. Post links, etc. The problem is, some people post wild claims, and aren't able to post any reliable links. Then, instead of teveryone reading a bit and learning the truth, and moving on...it has to fester into a debate.

How exactly would that work? I can say instead of being an IT Manager, that I'm a CIO of a large company. Anyone can say anything online.

Wiki has talked about some sort of buffer of proof to those that claim to be Doctors of this or that. How can you prove you are as you say online? Just reading previous posts I see certain folk try to dismiss anything and everything that someone has to say bad about Vista. I have thought that it sounds a bit like Microsoft placed people here to discredit naysayers.

I don't know it all and I come here to learn. Teach me don't beat me.

Teach me don't beat me.
I agree completely. The problem in many cases here is, there are some who are willing to be taught, there are plenty who are willing to teach, and there are those are only wish to sit on top of their desk and scream obscenities at the teachers, while pushing notepads off the desks of the students.

Why not just have people learn to read on their own? If someone posts a comment that's an obvious lie and is disputed...instead of anyone adding to the fray, go off and read about the truth yourself. Post links, etc. The problem is, some people post wild claims, and aren't able to post any reliable links. Then, instead of teveryone reading a bit and learning the truth, and moving on...it has to fester into a debate.

they post shit like that for a reason. they are called trolls, and they purposely post information they know is crap to turn threads into fights which get close. any positive vista thread seems to be a target. it used to be any positive intel thread (cough duby /cough)

This is my own shortcoming. I'm really bad at letting egregiously incorrect information just sit there. I know that the 'majority' of the readers here aren't even registered. Many of them actually come to sites like hardforum.com to educate themselves! I personally believe we would be doing the average reader a great disservice if we left incorrect or unsubstantiated information unchecked.

This is how we 'fester into a debate' time after time. To fix this I think the moderators should either:

1. Warn users who continually break the forum rules by making personal attacks or posting obvious flamebait. OR
  2. Warn me to stop responding to flamebait (but I would humbly request good rationale for leaving the flamebait in the thread)

I'm working on not responding to personal attacks except via PM and I think that is helping keep discussions more civil as well.

Well what I noticed isn't personal attacks. Its discrediting an users experience with Vista. You know why we haven't used it for very long? Because it crashes. One crash and loosing of data is enough for me. Its like sticking a needle in ones eye and having someone say "It will feel better if you keep doing it." Great you never had problems with Vista and you pour over reports and websites. But I want a stable OS without having to tweak things to make it work. To me that should fall on the laps of Microsoft not the end users.

Yes, it seems that Microsoft should have implemented tighter control over driver QA/QC.

Did you see this thread from last night? It's amazing how much one application can screw up kernel(?) level Vista operations!!

(incidentally, I didn't discredit him for having issues with Vista - I just explored - and I would have definitely understood if he decided to move back to XP after that annoying issue he was running into!!)

Yes, it seems that Microsoft should have implemented tighter control over driver QA/QC.

Did you see this thread from last night? It's amazing how much one application can screw up kernel(?) level Vista operations!!

(incidentally, I didn't discredit him for having issues with Vista - I just explored - and I would have definitely understood if he decided to move back to XP after that annoying issue he was running into!!)

well i expect he was running that program as an admin (which is common for virus scanners) which meant it had the ability to fuck with the kernel all it wanted.

This is my own shortcoming. I'm really bad at letting egregiously incorrect information just sit there. I know that the 'majority' of the readers here aren't even registered. Many of them actually come to sites like hardforum.com to educate themselves! I personally believe we would be doing the average reader a great disservice if we left incorrect or unsubstantiated information unchecked.

Like I said

It's like you guys think everyone else is so stupid that they cannot tell a rant from a legitimate complaint and therefore you must step up to defend the honor of Microsoft or something. It's lunacy. Step back once and just look at how fucking silly it is, seriously. Its really getting to the point where you've got to practically write a fucking book just to have your opinion respected in these forums, and it shouldn't be that way.

And by the way I'm -still- waiting for you to refute my 'egregiously incorrect information'. In a civil manner, of course.

haha oh wow, this is quite a thread. Usually im one to just dive in headfirst but i think ill stay out of the core of this thread.

Most of the "hysteria" is caused by lack of knowledge. Vista upgrades may not be the best of choices for people with a computer a year or two old, or that already have an established xp install, but i currently see no reason why someone should not purchase vista with a new machine.

it may not be the magical-happy-fun-super-excitement-time OS that people were hoping for, or a huge leap ahead of XP, but i do beleive it is better, and certainly not a step back.

Wow, three whole pages since I've been here last. I actually started reading some of the posts, but I realized a certain group just blows off any and all rebuttle to their outrageous comments.

they post shit like that for a reason. they are called trolls, and they purposely post information they know is crap to turn threads into fights which get close. any positive vista thread seems to be a target. it used to be any positive intel thread (cough duby /cough)

And yet this post here shows that it isnt me is it? hmmm Interesting. This folks is what they call a hypocrite...

And yet this post here shows that it isnt me is it? hmmm Interesting. This folks is what they call a hypocrite...

are you upset i mentioned you? any person who posts or reads either forum with any regularity knows all about you.

yeah no.......you are missing one thing, 98% of people are computer illiterate.

and those same %98 of people think they are computer pro's.

"well 10 years ago i used to build PC's out of my basement so i know what i am doing"

look mister 40 year old divorced lonely, i play WoW and drink wiskey all day rehab reject, just because you installed some ram and a new harddrive, dont mean you built computers, ass hat.

If people question me on fixing their computer they messed up i just say

"You want me to fix this or not, remember YOU came to me..."

Judging by your title, you already have.

:p Not quite

IceCzar gave me that from making that old "Before you buy a psu" sticky which had 250,000 views and almost as many arguments. Back in the day people actually argued that psu's didn't matter and were offended when I suggest they spend the cash to get a good one. That thread was the "Lightning Rod" of the psu forum back when no one visited it. Hence, my title.

and those same %98 of people think they are computer pro's.

"well 10 years ago i used to build PC's out of my basement so i know what i am doing"

look mister 40 year old divorced lonely, i play WoW and drink wiskey all day rehab reject, just because you installed some ram and a new harddrive, dont mean you built computers, ass hat.

If people question me on fixing their computer they messed up i just say

"You want me to fix this or not, remember YOU came to me..."
Dude, and this applies to every damned one of us here, but I'd wager that the people on this forum who have actually "built" a computer are few and freaking far between. We aren't discussing putting together PCBs using leads and solder to make logic boards. Pretty much everyone here is an enthusiast assembler, and that's fine. Let's keep the personal disdain at a minimum, because there are plenty of phds out there who aren't as PC savvy as you, but could pwn you in other areas of discussion.

And why is this thread still going? It's starting to get a little ridiculous. Yeah, Vista's a new OS, so it has the same hurdles any new OS is going to face, whether it's FUD or early-adopter woes or the inability to turn water into wine (no matter how good the advertising).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back