Vista Home Premium won't run Madden08

horndog

[H]ard|Gawd
It will run the game, but it won't let me launch the online play item. It gives an apps crash error, but once I hit OK, then it wants to run it, but then it wants to close it.

Is there security settings that I need to scale back? I think the online portion is Adobe Flash, and that is correctly installed. EA's technical support is useless.

Forget EA's Tech Support....they are useless. I found that out dealing with some Tiger Woods 08 issues in Vista x64. Their forums are actually very helpful, because regular people post there with actual help, not the drivel their tech support spits out.

Are you using Vista x86 or x64?

Home Premium 32-bit

It is wild.. Launch online play then it gives an error, but if I play the game by itself it is great, but launching their online software makes madden take a digger. I don't get it.

I know where easports forums are located. I was looking for outside help. On the those forums there are 13yr olds calling everyone quitters and cheaters, no one knows anything.

mine crashes in vista when i go online too...sux coz im ready to dump xp finally and this is the last hangup!

I was starting to dig vista, but it was too quirky.

I fixed madden by this:

format c:\

install XP Pro

Anyone ever find a fix for this? I'm having the same problem.

Try turning off UAC... The online portion is trying to write to a folder on your computer and it requires administrative access.

Turn off UAC by going under "Users" in the control panel.

is that the stupid punkbuster program that thinks it should be allowed root access?

Thanks but I have UAC off and am logging in as an admin.

Do you happen to know the folder it might be trying to write to?

I've heard this might be from the nvidia drivers too but it is frustrating not to be able to play online and no one seems to give a rats back side.

Well that's all real cute but you same Vista haters were the ones saying how bad XP sucked when it came out too.

Vista is fine. It isn't perfect but to put a 5 or 6 year old OS on a new machine is stupid. There are bound to be some compatibility problems so if you don't have a fix, how about you just say nothing.

In the meantime, if anyone has a real fix, I'm sure we'd appreciate it. I'm starting to think this is a problem with Nvidia drivers. Does anyone without a nvidia card have this problem?

Maybe since you turned off UAC this won't help, but I always install games outside Vista's Program Files folder. I install all games in my own Games folder. Vista is real protective of what it allows to happen in Program Files and I've had bad luck running some games within it.

Maybe since you turned off UAC this won't help, but I always install games outside Vista's Program Files folder. I install all games in my own Games folder. Vista is real protective of what it allows to happen in Program Files and I've had bad luck running some games within it.

Pretty interesting, which games did you have problems when installed there?

They were mostly strategy/wargames like HPS and Matrix. I do PBEM and just copying the return moves had problems, as did applying some patches. Vista splits off some files into Program Data and games that aren't specifically Vista ready may not handle that well. All files in those directories are protected I think as Vista tries to limit how spyware or viruses can affect programs.

I looked up a picture of Madden '08, and I didn't see the Games for Windows logo. I'd say if a game has the logo, you're probably safe using the default install. If not, I'd certainly use the Games folder concept for the install location.

Back