Vista Home Premium Upgrade Upgrade

Alaric_2000

Limp Gawd
Hey Folks!

Just bought Windows Vista this past weekend and upgraded my WinXP Pro. Since my copy of WinXP was installed as non-SP'd, my 250gb HD had to be split into two partitions. I decided to do a clean install from the upgrade CD since I was required to do a clean install anyways.

Long story short, when I went to activate, the product key wasn't valid because the one I have doesn't support a clean install.

The question I need answered is, does anyone know if there's a way to upgrade my copy of Vista from an upgrade copy to a full version?

Run the Upgrade CD again, and Upgrade the Vista install. Atleast that is the trick others have done.

Hang on. Shouldn't happen like that. You can put a clean install on another partition with an Upgrade Vista DVD and activate afterwards. I've installed from an Upgrade DVD like that without problems. Here's how you should've done the job:

• Boot into XP. Pop the Vista DVD in the drive and let it autorun.
  • When prompted, choose 'Custom install'. Then pick your partition and complete the install.
  • It should activate without problems.

If you've followed a different procedure then starting over will correct the issue easy enough.

Basically what happened was my XP install had my 250gb drive partitioned into two partitions.

When doing the upgrade from within XP, it told me I need to boot from the CD to make any changes to the partition (clean install was the only upgrade option from XP Pro to Vista Home Premium). So i did the clean install from the CD and it was giving me issues with the reg code, so I did it w/o it. When I tried to enter it after it was installed, it continued to give me troubles saying that the reg code didn't like being installed from a clean install.

So essentially to install Vista, I had to repartition and reformat -- to which the upgrade reg code didn't seem to be too happy with.

Back