Vista Home Premium Upgrade Upgrade

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Alaric_2000, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Alaric_2000

Alaric_2000 Limp Gawd

Hey Folks!

Just bought Windows Vista this past weekend and upgraded my WinXP Pro. Since my copy of WinXP was installed as non-SP'd, my 250gb HD had to be split into two partitions. I decided to do a clean install from the upgrade CD since I was required to do a clean install anyways.

Long story short, when I went to activate, the product key wasn't valid because the one I have doesn't support a clean install.

The question I need answered is, does anyone know if there's a way to upgrade my copy of Vista from an upgrade copy to a full version?

2. JTY

JTY 2[H]4U

Run the Upgrade CD again, and Upgrade the Vista install. Atleast that is the trick others have done.

3. Catweazle

Catweazle 2[H]4U

Hang on. Shouldn't happen like that. You can put a clean install on another partition with an Upgrade Vista DVD and activate afterwards. I've installed from an Upgrade DVD like that without problems. Here's how you should've done the job:

• Boot into XP. Pop the Vista DVD in the drive and let it autorun.
    • When prompted, choose 'Custom install'. Then pick your partition and complete the install.
    • It should activate without problems.

If you've followed a different procedure then starting over will correct the issue easy enough.

4. Alaric_2000

Alaric_2000 Limp Gawd

Basically what happened was my XP install had my 250gb drive partitioned into two partitions.

When doing the upgrade from within XP, it told me I need to boot from the CD to make any changes to the partition (clean install was the only upgrade option from XP Pro to Vista Home Premium). So i did the clean install from the CD and it was giving me issues with the reg code, so I did it w/o it. When I tried to enter it after it was installed, it continued to give me troubles saying that the reg code didn't like being installed from a clean install.

So essentially to install Vista, I had to repartition and reformat -- to which the upgrade reg code didn't seem to be too happy with.