Vista Home Premium Question

shaggy77

Gawd
Hi,

I have a copy of Vista Home Prem SP1 64 bit sitting on my desk. I was doing to some last minute research on the OS before I go for the install. I found some poster to another Vista question in which advised to just go Ultimate cause HP does not see all 4 cores on a Quad and 4 GB of RAM. The RAM part I would think that was a 32 bit version limitation. However I have never heard of a CPU core limitation. I would think that might be a cores set to 3 in BIOS setting. The poster claimed HP only sees 2 cores. To me this guy sounds like he might be spreading false information on the net. Does a Quad Core limitation exist for home premium in some weird way?

Before someone speaks up and says "why vista?" Well as much as I was a strong resistor to Vista. I love my copy of XP pro especially one that was already configured. I rarely had a problem with it as well. However, XP32 had it 3.25GB ram and 64 bit processor limitations. Why not allow my rig to breathe OS wise. So I tried out a copy of XP64 and quickly learn it was not that hot and well I didn't quite get use to it. So I was talking to my cousin and he set up a copy of Vista Ultimate on my machine. I was amazed how well things worked in the 64bit environments. Everything such as drivers were there for the download. Quite frankly, it ran well. It took a bit of time to get use to the interface though. I didn't care about the explorer at first. My wife didn't care for the way things were done but we got adjusted to it. However she likes XP more for some things. Since the grace period for activation was up, I just went ahead an bought an OEM copy. I am done with the upgrades for now and never had a problem when I did with any reactivations.

Specs of the PC are in the signature under main rig. I have plenty of power to run the OS as far a I can see. I just want to make sure the who CPU core limited was a bunch of false info.

To me this guy sounds like he might be spreading false information on the net.
You would be correct. Some people make this concept out to be much harder than it really is. For processor support, you always go by the number of sockets....not the number of cores in each socket. Your quad-core uses only one socket, so Vista HP will be perfectly fine with it. You are also correct about the memory aspect, but since it is the x64 version, again you have no worries.

Also, at this point, you don't need to defend your choice of using Vista, especially the x64 version. It's over a year old, and already at SP1. It is your computer, so you should feel free to run the OS of choice on it.

All versions including Home Basic and Home Premium supports unlimited number of cores on a single CPU (including Multi-Chip module CPUs like Intel's Quad core). Only Business, Enterprise and Ultimate support more than one physical CPU socket on the motherboard.

You ned 64-bit to use more than 2GB of RAM reliably (you can get away with 32-bit for 3GB but I don't recommend it).

Once you get used to the Explorer in Vista, chances are you will not be able to go back to XP. The Explorer in vista just looks more professional, without the silly side panel and big, colourful buttons.

Hi,

Thanks for the fact check guys. I knew about dual socket support when it came to Business, Enterprise and Ultimate. Also those editions support up to 128GB of RAM where Home Basic supports up to 8 GB and Premium supports up to 16 GB.

As for Explorer, I am still on the fence with it. I felt XP had an easier interface for file operations like web publishing or file moving. Overall it is a pretty descent operating system for a 64 bit system. It works for my purposes.

shaggy

I totally agree with Jimmi on Explorer. Once I got used to it, I hate having to use XP's.

Good luck with the install.

Hi,

once again thanks for the info. I got this copy of Home Premium running smooth now. I never had an OS go on so smooth before. It was really awesome. 40 minutes from start to last update. Most of my programs were back on the PC within 1 1/2 hours. Had a few issues with firefox of all things but nothing major. Still tackling the ins and outs of windows explorer though. I am still finding difficult to use. That is weird cause I usually have no problem learning new software. I guess it is a challenge :)

Back