2[H]4U
Friend has the following system:

Q6600
Abit AB9 QuadGT
4GB
1000w PSU
2x 500GB SATA (raid 0)
8800 Ultra

We've tried using system restore to go back in time, but it still has the problem. Every time we reboot, it asks to install drivers for his keyboard, mouse, etc, despite the fact that they were installed initially when we installed Vista months ago. Keyboard and Mouse work initially, but if you click "cancel" when it prompts you to install the mouse driver, the mouse stops working. Any ideas other than a reformat?

don't you think that since it affects keyboard and mouse, it would be a good idea to post the keyboard and mouse and how they are connected to the rig? Just thinking out loud.... ;)

I ran across this with a webcam once on vista x64; a driver update fixed it later;

Are these USB; perhaps turn the power saver off on the usb port; & install drivers as admin.

I had a this problem for months after changing from a Habu mouse to a logitech G5. The only way the mouse would work was to select ask me latter when the looking for driver prompt came up at the start of the Vista ( 32bit business edition). What solved it for me was a hotfix ( I don't remember the number unfortunately ) which I found out about here.

It was in a post on this forum about what hotfixes users say should be installed. I had some of them but not all. The one that fixed it had included a update to the USB subsystem ( though on reading it it didnt seem related to my problem ). After I installed it I have never had a problem.

John

edit: I think it was this update that fixed it for me - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600 . If you already heve it I suppose you could try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it to see if that fixes it.

Ended up just being fed up with the AB9 Quad GT and returned it for an IP35 Pro, the board I originally unrecommended to him.

Back