vista hibernation issue (RAM related)

g1tigi

Limp Gawd
I just installed another 2x1gb of RAM into my system recently per this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1364543

i.e. I now have to pairs of RAM: one from kingston, one from corsair.

After installing the RAM, I realize that I am unable to come out of hibernation in Vista (32-bit; ultimate). The system will enter hibernation just fine, but when it comes out of hibernation, it has the following problem
1) the uninformative status bar that scrolls left to right scrolls jaggedly and not smoothly
2) when the 'resuming windows' screen disappears, the system hangs with the single dash blinking and doesn't budge after that
3) if I try to reboot the system, vista asks me if I want to try to read from the hibernation file and try to come out of hibernation again; doing this gives the same symptomology as 1&2.
4) the only thing I can do is tell vista to delete the hibernation file and move on with a fresh reboot.

Anyone else have this sort of problem when using two sets of RAM from different brands? Suggestions for solutions?

Did your hibernation file expand when you upgraded the RAM? It has to be as large as your RAM, so you may need to reset it. If nothing else you may want to make sure the pagefile is large enough also. I'm sure it is at 2GB, the system probably prefers 4GB. I don't know if this will help, but I got nothing else at the moment.

I just installed another 2x1gb of RAM into my system recently per this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1364543

i.e. I now have to pairs of RAM: one from kingston, one from corsair.

After installing the RAM, I realize that I am unable to come out of hibernation in Vista (32-bit; ultimate). The system will enter hibernation just fine, but when it comes out of hibernation, it has the following problem
1) the uninformative status bar that scrolls left to right scrolls jaggedly and not smoothly
2) when the 'resuming windows' screen disappears, the system hangs with the single dash blinking and doesn't budge after that
3) if I try to reboot the system, vista asks me if I want to try to read from the hibernation file and try to come out of hibernation again; doing this gives the same symptomology as 1&2.
4) the only thing I can do is tell vista to delete the hibernation file and move on with a fresh reboot.

Anyone else have this sort of problem when using two sets of RAM from different brands? Suggestions for solutions?

its not a brand issue. I saw an HP that came with 3gb of ram, and it had both hynix and samsung sticks. DDR2 is very compatible, more so than ddr, and a hell of alot more than plain old sd ever was.

thanks for the input.

Just checked the size of the hiberfil.sys (3,407,224kb) and pagefile.sys (3,713,680kb). Seems about the right size given the fact that I have a 512mb 8800gt eating up some memory addresses.

Interestingly the task manager lists my pagefile as 6844mb when system settings clearly says that it's 3626mb.

In either case...it looks like windows automatically increased those file sizes.

btw, I can just delete hiberfil.sys (as the "reset" eieio referred to) and see if a fresh hibernation file will do the trick, right?

Interestingly the task manager lists my pagefile as 6844mb when system settings clearly says that it's 3626mb.

In either case...it looks like windows automatically increased those file sizes.

btw, I can just delete hiberfil.sys (as the "reset" eieio referred to) and see if a fresh hibernation file will do the trick, right?

This is because although most people refer to just the allocated hard drive space as the "page file," in reality the "page file" is all of the system's available memory. So it's saying that your physical ram + swap = 6844mb.

To "reset" hibernation I would assume you'd want to disable it and then re-enable it. I don't know though.

ah ic.

yeah i already tried disabling hibernation and re-enabling it to no avail. Blergh...this is not even the first time I've had to troubleshoot vista hibernation issues...

Back