Vista hates me, I hate vista.

hiroler

Weaksauce
It's a tough relationship. I installed vista home premium upgrade lastnight. Took me 4-5 hours. Vista runs like my computer was a 486dx2 66 (not even mx technology).

So what the hell is wrong? Computer's performance.. hard drive score = 2.2??? Can't update bios on my p5w dh deluxe because vista won't run asus's bios flash program? I installed 7.2 catalyst for my x1950xtx card. Besides that, just a few odds and ends, and vista hates life. It's taken me about 10 minutes to type this much. No hardware conflictions in device manager, nothing seems wrong.

This is so stupid. Any ideas? I've searched and found "update bios", which i can't do. My primary hard drive is a SCSI attached to a adaptec 29160 card.

any help would be appreciated, i'll uninstall vista before i call tech support.

Vista doesn´t hate you, Bill Gates hates you! :D

Not another P5W DH Deluxe Vista install failure!

I've seen a number of them recently, here and elsewhere, and never seen a convincing reason for the failure. doesn't happen for all people with the board, but the various forums and threads I've seen it reported in just don't seem to draw out the right information from the person posting.

I suspect it has a lot to do with drive installation and configuration, but I'm not sure what.

Had same problem on a customers computer, seems even thou the sata controller drivers were installed, they wern't working proplerly giving my a hd score of 2.0 and horrible start up time, and it took forever to do anything, once I downloaded xp drivers off the next for the sata controller, everything ran like silk, and re did the preformance test and the HF got a 5.3 rating (5.9 is maximum atm, it thats pretty high :D)

yeah, I would really recommend reinstalling chipset drivers. I found drastic improvement running vista ultimate after I updated to the lates nForce platform drivers on my 6100 series mobo.

How about flashing the BIOS from a USB Thumb Drive or something as well? Not that I think that will solve the problem, but it still accomplishes something. Did you install the chipset drivers first?

meh,

I have the P5W DH Deluxe, x1900xt w/ the 7.2 drivers. Everything installed great (Vista Business). I even updated the BIOS to v1901 from Windows, np.

I highly suspect you have a problem (or perhaps Vista) with your harddrive/controller. A SCSI should score much higher than a 2.2. My config has a pair of SATA's in Raid 0, which scores a 5.9.

As other people have eluded to, did you install the specific drivers for your controller. Perhaps Adaptec does not have Vista drivers for it? I would get on the Adaptec website and check there before you blame Vista.

Or, as some replies have stated, the Asus MB!:rolleyes:

bill gates doesn't even know some of u guys exist!
i too was expecting more from vista, but i think i just have to get used to what i got. vista is cool, im using the 64bit edition. i have got 3-4 blue screen of death, im waiting for sp1.

thanks for the replies.. it took from my original post till now to get back on the forum (lots of hard boots) .. I guess I will try to update bios with a thumb drive. Besides that I'm really lost in all this reconfiguring. I'm only running 1 gig ram but that shouldn't matter much.

My roommate keeps playing the Mac commercial where the PC guy is going into surgery to update OS, it's so true.

My adaptec scsi controller's drivers are from 1992. The most recent drivers I found were from 1995 and vista wouldn't install them. Vista installed some iSCSI driver or something too. If none of this works i might be in the market for a new scsi controller.

thanks again

updated bios.. its important to note that you can do this from windows with the asus updater, unlike the directions on the asus website.. my computer is running "better"... "ok" now, like i dont want to poke my eyes out anymore, but i'm still getting 2.2 for primary harddrive after installing "RAID_JMicronJMB36X11764_Vista.zip
JMicron JMB36X RAID Controller Driver V1.17.6.4 for Windows 32bit/64bit Vista.(WHQL).
JMicron JMB36X PATA Driver V1.0.0.0 for Windows 32bit/64bit Vista.(Non-WHQL)."

i guess i will hit alt f4 next time i reboot and (insert vista 2 min freeze) see what options i have to play with

thanks again... i'm up to p4 speeds now ;)

ok i lied, its locking up all the time again

any more ideas? if vista was a cat it just used up 8 of its lives

Uhmmm... which SCSI 18GB drive do you have, just to ask... 'cause if it's an older one, and I'm suspecting it is, that SATA drive will run circles around it for most purposes. If it's a 10K or heaven forbid a 15K drive I can understand your continuing to use it, but but but...

I'd suspect something is up with that SCSI drive and the controller, myself.

How about this: Yank out the SCSI hardware and try and do a nice clean install of Vista on that SATA drive on a small partition, say 30-50GB for the OS itself and see what happens. Methinks you'll have a lot better luck and a lot better performance that way.

If that's successful, then you've narrowed it down to something with the SCSI machinery and can get to work. Troubleshooting the dreaded "Oh it's so slow and it shouldn't be" issues are nearly impossible unless you're willing to do a step-by-step install.

EDIT:
After a quick re-skim of the thread, and finally getting my brain to work, I'm 100% confident that SCSI setup you have is causing the majority if not all the issues. The iSCSI driver you see in Device Manager doesn't have anything to do with your physical SCSI hardware, however, and that's another story altogether.

1992, eh... I'd say it's time for not only a new SCSI controller but a new SCSI drive also. That controller probably can't do over 40MB/s and if it can do that much I'd be really surprised, so the drive you're using with it most certainly can't keep up, even if it's a 10K drive. Don't think Seagate had 15K Cheetahs around 1992 but I'm not a SCSI historian.

Get the SCSI hardware out of the machine, totally. It's effectively useless for anything but simple backup space at this point.

^^^ I concur 100% We use SCSI's in our CAD machines at work. Fastest things around, but you don't really need 'em in a home machine. And 1992... Really time to upgrade to one or two SATA's.

Your computer will thank you!:p

ok i did a little more research on the SCSI setup apparently i was lieing...

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/host_tech/scsi_drives/ASC-29160/
160mb/s adapter ...According to adaptec's website, drivers for it are included w/ vista. driver date 10/1/2002

hard drive: Seagate Cheetah 15K.3 18GB 15K U320 68pin SCA-2 SCSI Hard Drive ST318453LW driver date 6/21/2006 version 6.0.6000.16386

tbh doesn't sound like a setup that should be getting 2.2 satisfactory rating

I can't get ultima online install or BF2 update 1.41 to install AT ALL.

so yeah i guess i will unhook it and install vista again and see what happens... tomorrow sometime ;)

PROBLEM SOLVED.

The problem was - i had XP installed on the SCSI and also an old install on the last partition of my SATA drive. When i formated the scsi drive, it used the XP install on the sata to install vista. Vista was using both drives to work, which didnt work.

I unhooked the SATA, reinstalled XP on scsi drive (under 30 mins) and reinstalled vista (40 mins). Times were from pressed key to boot from CD till desktop showed. Installing XP pro and Vista home premium upgrade, with vista upgrades, took up ~11.3 gigs of my 16.9 gig SCSI drive. My new computer stats has my memory being the weak point.

Processor: 4.9
Memory: 4.5
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming graphics:5.8
Primary hard disk: 5.7

Thanks for your helps, now I need more memory, then a 6600! =)

Now you need to change that sig since apparently Vista doesn't have issues with your computer at all. :p

If you're interested in keeping a "small" or "lite" Vista installation, let me point you to vLite, the tool for stripping out the gunk and bloat of Vista that simply isn't necessary for 99.9% of the people running it. I took Ultimate, which normally will install on a clean partition and take up roughly 10GB after the install. I ran it through vLite, chopped, hacked, and decimated about 4.7GB of crap that I simply have absolutely no use for and ended up with a fully working Vista Ultimate installation that consumed 4.8GB of hard drive space, not counting the pagefile which on my 1GB box was 1.5GB, obviously.

www.vlite.net <<<--- Amazing software, and it really does work. Hell, just cutting out the language files alone if you don't need them saves almost 1.5GB of hard drive space. Can't beat that, especially if you limit the size of your system partition or, as in your case, you simply use a small hard drive dedicated as the OS drive.

Good luck...

ps
30 mins to install XP on that SCSI drive? Wow, that's like... slow... this old P4 2.4 GHz with 1GB of DDR333 and an 80GB ATA100 7200 rpm drive does it in 13 minutes almost flat on the nose. And 40 mins to install Vista on that SCSI drive... ouch

But, there's good news. If your intention is just to use Vista you don't need to do that double install (XP then Vista on top of it). You can install Vista totally clean on that SCSI drive with no traces of XP on it.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll clue you in on the 3 simple steps.

thanks for the info.. when i formatted the scsi, it made me install xp to install vista. I'll get the vlite and try to get rid of unnecessary stuff so I have more room on C:, thanks a ton. If you know a better way to install Vista in the smallest amount of room for my 18 gig SCSI, that would be great.

I'm leavin now for spring break cancun, so no more vista worries till next weekend =P but its nice to know my computer will work when i get back.

Back