vista hardware questions

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't need aero or fancy junk all I really want is the os.
My questions concern hardware mostly. For example when I bought my Compaq latop it
had XP media edition which didn't support native command queing.
I wiped the drive installed XP Pro and now have NCQ. Is home basic and premium the same as home xp
was to pro xp? Do I have to get Business or Ultimate to get full hardware capabilities?

The hardware I will be using is e4300 OC to 2.4
2 gigs DDR2 533
seagate 320 gig
nec DVD Burner
8600GTS VC
Antec true 480 PSU

In windows home XP and media center edition XP native command queuing is greyed out as a hard drive option where in XP Pro it is there. Does Vista basic or home not allow full use of your hardware IE: NCQ , Video Hardware Acceleration. ETC like XP home VS XP Pro.

This may be helpfull

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

"For NCQ to be enabled, it must be supported and turned on in the SATA host bus adapter and in the hard drive itself. The appropriate driver must be loaded into the operating system to enable NCQ on the host bus adapter. Many newer chipsets support the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI), which should allow a generic driver supplied by the operating system to control them and enable NCQ. In fact, some newer Linux kernels support AHCI natively.[4] Unfortunately, Windows XP requires the installation of a vendor-specific driver even if AHCI is present on the host bus adapter because Windows XP was released before Serial ATA was invented. Windows Vista corrects this situation by including a generic AHCI driver."

In my Intel BadAxe2 motherboard I set the AHCI option before installing Vista.
I beleive this has to be done before Vista is installed becuse there is a known
bug (KB article at MS) that will not allow it to work after the fact because you get a BSOD.

As far as compatible hardware you should download and run the Vista Compatibility Wizard for
Windows XP.

Back