Vista Group Poicy? WTF? WHERE!?!?!?

JBavousett

Gawd
Ok, I got that DAMN ANNOYING UAC BS turned off. Now, I want to edit the group policy settings...but I can't find it bloody anywhere. The fools at microshaft decided to make it harder to use your computer, and I have this re-occuring foolish stipid problem, where a random file in a random folder will suddenly become impossible to delete. Currently, I have this VOB file from a Family Guy DVD that I was backing up, and it tells me "You need permission to perform this action" Well, I'm a bloody administrator on my own bloody computer, so anyone that thinks I should ask them first can suck it. I was able to easily delete every other file in the folder, none of them had a problem, but for some reason Windoze believes that this file is of vital importance. I want to change the group policy so that I truely AM the administrator. Anyone know where they moved the Policy settings to? I can't enable the local policy option in MMC, It tells me to go to the user control in the control panel...bloody useless...and they removed the option from the admin tools. Bastards. Anyway, anyone who knows how to fix this problem, please let me know.

did you 'take control' of the file?

right click it and bring up its properties, click the security tab and hit advance. click owner tab. click edit.

click your name and apply.

go back to the original properties security tab and give yourself full permission.

Yeah, I tried that, it refuses to tell me who the owner of the file is and it will not let me change ownership.

Untitled.jpg

Now, I want to edit the group policy settings...but I can't find it bloody anywhere.

Start>Search>gpedit.msc or Start>Help and Support>"Group Policy Management".

Both of those ways are really difficult, just like they have been since they haven't changed since Windows 2000. :rolleyes:

Start>Search>gpedit.msc or Start>Help and Support>"Group Policy Management".

Both of those ways are really difficult, just like they have been since they haven't changed since Windows 2000. :rolleyes:

Well, seeing as neither of those exist in Vista...I'll just assume you haven't used this OS yet.

GPEdit does exist in Vista, just not Home Basic/Home Premium. It's only in Business and Ultimate, from my experience.

Vista ain't XP, nor 2K, it's a whole new ballgame with respects to getting to the meat and potatoes stuff, so get to learning it. :p

GPEdit does exist in Vista, just not Home Basic/Home Premium. It's only in Business and Ultimate, from my experience.

XP home was also like that, you had things like gpedit.msc and lusrmgr.msc locked out of it. XP MCE was actually built on top of XP Pro, so it did have those features.

As has been noted in a variety of posts:

XP Home ~= Vista Home Basic

XP Media Center Edition ~= Vista Home Premium

XP Professional ~= Vista Business

Vista Ultimate... well, that's all that and a kitchen sink thrown in for good measure. :D

i install cavalier dsl in a vista home basic lap top and this group policy crap shows up on the logon screen-- use pass word will not let me logon , had to logon in safe mode it worked. i try to set the recovery to a day later. was able to log on normal way,but restart of pc --this group policy show up again for log on.:eek:

Back