Vista file sharing problem

Jordan1

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a PC with Vista installed and want to share one of my hard drives to a couple of XP Home machines on my network. All 3 PCs are on the same workgroup. I have all permissions set as "Allow" under the sharing options. The XP PCs can "see" my computer name under the workgroup computers but when trying to access them it asks for a username and password, but I have no password set on the Vista PC. I tried just to enter my Vista username but it would not allow me to access it. How can I share/access this drive?

I have a PC with Vista installed and want to share one of my hard drives to a couple of XP Home machines on my network. All 3 PCs are on the same workgroup. I have all permissions set as "Allow" under the sharing options. The XP PCs can "see" my computer name under the workgroup computers but when trying to access them it asks for a username and password, but I have no password set on the Vista PC. I tried just to enter my Vista username but it would not allow me to access it. How can I share/access this drive?

On the Vista box
Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center

There are two entries
File Sharing make sure it is ON
Password Protected Sharing make sure it is OFF
Use the down arrows to the right to set the values

Some other things
you must use the same network name and password on BOTH boxes
turn off firewalls between boxes

Thats it.

Thanks, that worked, although I did not have to turn off the firewalls.

Back