Vista can't read 4gig flash SD cards?!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Menelmarar, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Menelmarar

Menelmarar [H]ardness Supreme

Dad sent me an IM sometime late last night, so I don't have full details.

We just recently upgraded him to a new Core2 system, Windows Vista, all that new jazz. Has a P965 mobo, 2gig RAM.

He moved his card reader over from his P4-WinXP box. Which could read his 4gig SD cards for his camera. Said the same card reader under Vista on the new computer either:

1. Can only read 2 gig of the 4gig cards
    or
    2. Cannot read the 4gig cards at all, can only read his 2gig cards.

Are there known problems out there relating to this?

It's just a generic 5in1/7in1 something another 3.5" bay card reader that I imagine vista picked up and installed an automatic mass storage driver for.

2. Dez3rt.Eagle

Dez3rt.Eagle Limp Gawd

My Vista had problems reading my camera SD Card. And I had a problem with a program, I installed it and it wouldn't work, and it screwed up when you tried to uninstall it.

I'd just stay with XP for a wile. I had allot of problems with Vista. It's a good OS if you have 2GB RAM and all you do is browse the net.

3. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I know there are issues with card readers not reading the HC cards, but since it did work in XP, I would suspect the driver that Vista loaded.
    does the manufacturer of the generic reader have a website? maybe there is a driver for that hardware for Vista

4. djnes

djnes [H]ard as it Gets

I had very similar problems, and it is driver related. My Omnibook 6000 wouldn't read large SD cards either, until I manually updated the card drivers.

5. adam.mt

adam.mt n00b

I'm 95% sure there's a Microsoft update patch re this (improved HC compatibility for Vista); might be part of Vista updates (so double check) or if not search the MS website/support site.