Vista + BitTorrent = No More Internet

tacos4me

Gawd
This is getting to be a pain. Every single time I fire up uTorrent and start connection to peers, it completely hoses every other application that requires a connection of some kind. This is an issue locally, on my Vista machine. Network is fine, all other computers work. So it's not a router or switch causing any issues. The half-open limit isn't being reached, and I don't believe it to be a configuration issue with uTorrent. I've been using the same settings for a long time without issue. They're fairly conservative anyway.

This just started happening out of the blue, and I can't for the life of me figure it why it's doing this, or what I might have changed for settings. I've had major slowdowns before, when I wasn't running QoS of some sort, but nothing can even make a connection outside of my rig when P2P is running.

Where should I start troubleshooting this? Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

A local company, GWI. 15Mbit ADSL2+ service. They don't employ traffic shaping of any kind. This is only happening on one computer on my network when I have P2P running though, so it shouldn't really matter anyway.

I experienced that problem too. Occasionally it bogs down the entire network, and sometimes it doesnt affect it.

If you are using utorrent change the bandwidth allocation to low and see if that works, it worked for me.

Wish I could say it worked for me, but it doesn't. Bandwidth allocation set to low, same problem. Just to be clear, my network is completely fine. My other machines can access the internet normally during the periods I cannot on my Vista machine. Clearly something isn't configured correctly on this computer. I just can't figure out what.

I've had similar issues. No apparent fix just yet... unfortunate, as this is my only remaining even somewhat serious "Vista problem."

We all appear to be using uTorrent. Try a different client?

Yes, there are a few 4226 warnings. I've always been getting those. Haven't had this current problem up until recently. I'd still like to take care of those anyway though. I've researched the connection limits in the past, and have never been able to find a solution for Vista. XP there was one, but last time I checked I couldn't find anything for Vista that worked.

I've had similar issues. No apparent fix just yet... unfortunate, as this is my only remaining even somewhat serious "Vista problem."

We all appear to be using uTorrent. Try a different client?

I had the problem with uTorrent. I switched to BitTorrent 6.x.x and the problems went away.

Not sure if you can do it with uTorrent but with Azureus you can limit the number of half open attempts. Solved the problem for me on Vista.

I'm having the same issue with Utorrent. After I close it the network becomes available after about 5 minutes. I'm just gonna have to use it on one of my other machines and xfer to the vista computer. Hope this get fixed soon.

AH, I have the SAME problem and it is SO friggin annoying!!!

I always assumed it was my router, what other BT client is as good as uTorrent. I really do love uTorrent's lightness and can't stand Azureus.

wait a minute, when your internet stops working on your Vista machine, does the internet also stop working on all other machines on your LAN as well? Thats what happens to me and it seems that only pointing to the IP address of a webesite will work.

So the LAN works, the bit torrent still downloads, but if I go to google.com it will not load, but if I type in the IP for google, it will.

wait a minute, when your internet stops working on your Vista machine, does the internet also stop working on all other machines on your LAN as well? Thats what happens to me and it seems that only pointing to the IP address of a webesite will work.

So the LAN works, the bit torrent still downloads, but if I go to google.com it will not load, but if I type in the IP for google, it will.

No, it's only the one machine that's effected for me. That does sound more like a router thing.

Give this a try then.

I've tried that tcpip.sys replacement before, and it ended up borking my installation. Needed to run the repair program on my Vista disc. I'm a little hesitant, but maybe I'll give it another shot.

Back