Vista beta dual boot problem

Hi Kids!

Before I begin, please don't flame meh for being a halfwit, I am well aware of my status in that regard.

So, being a keen little bunny, I chucked a copy of the new Vista beta on my system having created a new primary partition for it. Only slight problm is that now I can't boot my original XP install, it doesn't give me the boot menu you get when you slap a couple of XP installs on in this fashion. Anyone got any broght ideas as to how to fix this problem. Can i edit the boot sector etc?

Yours sheepishly

Caboosemoose

P.S. If anyone wants to know anything about the Vista beta, I'll do my best to answer.

OK, panic over, have edited the boot ini via system properties - the menu was set to one second by default which is why I wasnt seeing it.

Problem solved.

Please tell us if it is as revolutionary as they say it's going to be.

wpeng said:
Please tell us if it is as revolutionary as they say it's going to be.
At this point its only an evolution. The revolutionary stuff is still to come. Someone from microsft said this beta has less then half the stuff they are working on.

Less than half?! I can't believe they'd be less than halfway done with only a year or so till release.

They could have a lot of it semi finished but dont feal ready to send it out till beta 2

Well sure. More time goes into making sure the code doesn't crash the whole program than it does coding the basic app. But maybe MS is just slow.

Well I just found this

The real beta -- the one revealing broadest feature changes -- likely won't come until, at best, end of this year. That means Microsoft customers, partners and competitors won't yet be able to judge Longhorn progress or what the new Windows version will mean to them

OK, well I can tell you that it feels suspiciously like an build of XP with a few bells and whistles bolted on: a new skin, some transparency and animation effects and some new file previewing and searching functions.

It runs pretty badly, especially when resizing windows (system is NF4, X850 XT, FX-55, 1GB, 10k raptor etc).

Here's a screenshot of my kerazee extended desktop in Vista:

screen3.jpg

I'm planning to install the Vista beta as well real soon. I'm a little inexperienced with this dual boot stuff. If I currently have just one partition on my hard drive and XP is installed there, can I create a new partition without losing the exisiting XP install? Can someone briefly explain that or point me in the right direction?

Ranma_Sao said:
It was released to MSDN I believe.

Ya I know but it seems like a lot of people have the OS. I find it hard to believe that everyone has MSDN. Look around on some of the other forums and you will see what I mean.

Oh and I just noticed on the desktop that when you save a jpeg you can actually see what it looks like without opening it now. Thats handy if you just got them off the internet and want to sort them into folders. Thats will come in handy. Its in the screenshot above.

I'm looking to try it soon as well. Did you have any problems with drivers? or would everything install normally? Any other problems that you might have ran into?

I have it installed ... but no video drivers for my 7800 GTX yet

or ... chipset drivers ... no lan .. nothing ...

You can probably use windows XP drivers, they worked for my LAN, chipset and ethernet in Vista.

Can also report that it runs dog slow in games (CS:Source) and that my rig cannot even play a DVD smoothly, not sure if that's a peculiarity to my system or not. In general the smoothness of moving stuff around on the desktop is high variable and chnages seemingly randmowly from moment to moment.

And yes, lots of people have Vista because it was released on MSDN.

Last I heard is that they were running the Vista features basically on an XP core until everything was done with the new OS. Is that still the case? Or is this thing 100% new OS material?

It seems to be XP with bits added. XP drivers work fine, as do pretty much all the applications I've tried.

I dont expect that to change when it ships - it will still be based on the XP core / kernel whatever.

caboosemoose said:
It seems to be XP with bits added. XP drivers work fine, as do pretty much all the applications I've tried.

I dont expect that to change when it ships - it will still be based on the XP core / kernel whatever.
I'm pretty sure that Vista is running on the Server 2003 SP1 core.

How do you edit the boot ini via system properties because im gonna install Windows Vista soon too and i would like to be able to know how to do it in advance....thanks

caboosemoose said:
You can probably use windows XP drivers, they worked for my LAN, chipset and ethernet in Vista.

Can also report that it runs dog slow in games (CS:Source) and that my rig cannot even play a DVD smoothly, not sure if that's a peculiarity to my system or not. In general the smoothness of moving stuff around on the desktop is high variable and chnages seemingly randmowly from moment to moment.

And yes, lots of people have Vista because it was released on MSDN.

I know but still seems like a lot of people have MSDN now theses days. :rolleyes:

Then again maybee a lot people do have it and I could be wrong.

Maybee im just angry because im being honest and dont have MSDN.

I got it through my school - MSDN-AA

Will this run on a basic laptop with AMD Athlon XP M 3000+ and 512 mb ddr ram?

laxmiddi44 said:
How do you edit the boot ini via system properties because im gonna install Windows Vista soon too and i would like to be able to know how to do it in advance....thanks
Right-click My Computer > Properties, Advanced tab, then in Start up and Recovery hit Settings. Then you'l have options for the deafult OS (if you have more than one) and options for how long you want to display the menu on boot. All you need is a separate disk or partition for the new OS.

Milenko said:
I got it through my school - MSDN-AA

Will this run on a basic laptop with AMD Athlon XP M 3000+ and 512 mb ddr ram?

I have msdnaa at my university but no vista for me, what gives? (Although running operating systems with microsoft virtual PC is kewl.)

Michael.R said:
Oh and I just noticed on the desktop that when you save a jpeg you can actually see what it looks like without opening it now. Thats handy if you just got them off the internet and want to sort them into folders. Thats will come in handy. Its in the screenshot above.

Yer GNOME has been able to do that for the last ... releases and the same with MPEG files, good to see MS is finally catching up. The same goes with the transparant boarder.

But that is all that is transparent - cant you make an entire window transparent?

Back