Vista becoming extremeley slow...but then will be lightning quick, then slow again...

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
I have vista 64 Ultimate, Ive had it since Feburary and for the most part i am very happy with it.

However, vista is becoming extremely slow at times, and then once in a great while it will be lightning quick, I mean there are times when ill try to open outlook to check my mail and its takes 20 seconds just to open outlook, other times its instant with no delay at all.

There is no spyware, drives are defragged weekly, temp files cleaned, cache cleaned, all the other usual stuff to take care of is taken care of.

lol. the problem is not vista, the problem is your 1gb of ram. vista ultimate = 4gb, 2gb ABOSOLUTE minimum. also, i hope you are not using that 4GB flash for Readyboost. Readyboost is extremely buggy and in my case also caused data loss.

vista uses superfetch. 1gb ram + superfetch = crappy performance. if you must stay with 1gb ram, turn of superfetch via search "services."

lol. the problem is not vista, the problem is your 1gb of ram. vista ultimate = 4gb, 2gb ABOSOLUTE minimum. also, i hope you are not using that 4GB flash for Readyboost. Readyboost is extremely buggy and in my case also caused data loss.

vista uses superfetch. 1gb ram + superfetch = crappy performance. if you must stay with 1gb ram, turn of superfetch via search "services."

wow! you nailed it... :rolleyes:

I have vista 64 Ultimate, Ive had it since Feburary and for the most part i am very happy with it.

However, vista is becoming extremely slow at times, and then once in a great while it will be lightning quick, I mean there are times when ill try to open outlook to check my mail and its takes 20 seconds just to open outlook, other times its instant with no delay at all.

There is no spyware, drives are defragged weekly, temp files cleaned, cache cleaned, all the other usual stuff to take care of is taken care of.

Yeah, same here. I'm thinking about going back to XP this weekend.

Actually I'm gonna shoot for Cool and Quiet. Make sure that it is disabled.

well it isn't %100 vista, what version of outlook? outlook 2007 is slow on start under XP or vista, i have both.

and vista ultimate i dot know why everyone buys it, you wont ever use %50 of what it comes with... buy the version you need, vista home premium / buiness run great with 1g of ram.

There's no difference in minimum/recommended RAM for any version of Vista. You don't need 4GB of RAM for Vista...

well i had gaming in mind which 4gb is ideal. 2gb is minimum though to run well. sure it will run with 512mb or 1gb, but like crap.

Absolutely spot on!

Of course, the best option of all would be to simply add another 1Gb of RAM to the rig. ESPECIALLY if the USB flash is being used for Readyboost. 2Gb RAM kicks ten ton of elephant shit over 1Gb RAM + 4Gb flash stick Readyboost!

Yes. REAL RAM is MUCH better performance than ReadyBoost (even if RB totals double the RAM).

Stick another 1GB in there is my opinion as well- should pick things up significantly.

if he is using outlook 2007, 16G of ram wont solve his problem, it is simply how outlook was made for 2007.

some programs just are slow, no matter what specs the computer has.

if he is using outlook 2007, 16G of ram wont solve his problem, it is simply how outlook was made for 2007.

some programs just are slow, no matter what specs the computer has.

Speak for yourself, Outlook 2007 runs perfectly fine on my machine as far a loadup times go. It's comparable to Windows Mail.

Just loaded Outlook 2007 just now, infact, I'm surprised it loads quicker than Windows Mail!

Using 2007 on both XP and Vista- I haven't noticed much of a difference. I really haven't noticed much of a difference from 2003-2007, either.

in outlook 2007 the slow loading occurs when outlook is checking for emails on that start up, i also have 7 accounts in outlook and a 800mb+ pst file (but was never an issue on 2003)

Superfetch is just a desperate gimmick to speed up the otherwise dreadfully slow OS. As long as you're using the 2-3 standard apps (like most moms do, they use IE at worst and mozilla at best) superfetch will seem like a miracle. Windows seems to boot up real fast (despite the fact that it still 'superfetches' a minute after bootup making every operation dead slow) but it sure fools the average user into thinking so when the desktop opens. Only HD activity reveals that the bootup is really not even remotely ready by the time the desktop opens. Second indication will be extremely laggy response times if you click an app directly after desktop opens.

Anywhoo when superfetch fetches the wrong applications in the memory as can happen when you have little ram, Vista has to do a double job to load up the new app. First flush the memory and then load up the app with the _true_ Vista speed which is slow.

Superfetch is like an admission 'yea my disk I/O blows chunks so I must buy 100gigs of ram to avoid using it.'

Back