Vista: Another Upgrade Question

ReTiCuLeX

Gawd
I own both XP pro OEM Retail and XP home OEM Retail.

I'm trying to save some money here and sell off one of these OS's to buy some more ram, perfurably XP pro.

My question is, can you upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade without any issues with activation and such? It works fine for professional, but I'm unsure if it works for any other cheaper XP OS.

Thanks in advance,
- ReT

legally, you can't resell oem software once it's been installed on a pc, unless you sell the entire pc, and include the software with it. Besides, it's either OEM or Retail, not both.

Thanks for the technical info, you should work for the FBI.

My main concern was upgrading from home XP. Thanks anyhow Mr.Cia.

If I wanted to give it to my Uncle as a "Gift" I'm sure I can do w/e I want, ex: a $85 t-shirt with XP OEM ;).

Thanks for the technical info, you should work for the FBI.

My main concern was upgrading from home XP. Thanks anyhow Mr.Cia.

If I wanted to give it to my Uncle as a "Gift" I'm sure I can do w/e I want, ex: a $85 t-shirt with XP OEM ;).

:rolleyes:

That was hardly technical, even if you were trying to be funny (as indicated with the wink) that was totally lame.;)

Cookies for you. It sucks when someone answers a question totally oposite of what you're asking... I only reply if I absolutely can answer in a helpful matter. Telling me things I already know, doesn't help...

Cookies for you. It sucks when someone answers a question totally oposite of what you're asking... I only reply if I absolutely can answer in a helpful matter. Telling me things I already know, doesn't help...

Didn't you say in your first post you plan to sell one of the XP OS you have, which you mention both are OEM, so he was only pointing out the complications of selling a used OEM since the moment you install it it's tied to the motherboard you install it on, reselling it to someone could end up with their activation being denied, so it would be really really hard to convince someone to pay for it.

I'm sure any version of XP can be upgraded to any version of Vista.

Based off this table upgrade path off this site, I'd say any version of XP can be used to upgrade to Ultimate. The only thing that can happen is different ways of upgrading, from clean installs to in place installations.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx

Well my XP Pro has never been tied to a motherboard. I've probally used it on more than 6+ motherboards in the last 2 years and I've formated way over 30+ times in that time frame.

I usually just activaite over the internet. When that doesn't work I call up on the phone with the activaition screen open. Then magically after some time it re-activaites over the internet again ( which is odd imo, but it's happened a few times now ).

Well my XP Pro has never been tied to a motherboard. I've probally used it on more than 6+ motherboards in the last 2 years and I've formated way over 30+ times in that time frame.

I usually just activaite over the internet. When that doesn't work I call up on the phone with the activaition screen open. Then magically after some time it re-activaites over the internet again ( which is odd imo, but it's happened a few times now ).
In that case, your copy of XP is RETAIL and not OEM. If it is retail, it came in a folder with the coa attached to the folder. OEM used to come shrink wrapped, with the coa attached to the shrink wrap, and marked oem right on the sticker. In the intial reply I was only pointing out that the software was either retail, OR OEM ,and not both.FWIW, I've reactivated OEM software tons of times and the MAIN concern is that it is only running on 1 PC.

hmm on the COA it says "Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU OEM Software. It came with a folder like you said. I removed the COA and placed it on my CD case.

It also has a lil label that says you're required to affix this COA to the exteriror of a PC.
Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU.

Well, it says on the shiny CD itself for distribution with a new pc only affict this COA to a new PC. Guess it's OEM. So I guess my sisters XP Home is also OEM as well, and I won't be able to activaite it twice.

Oh for goodness sake!

The OEM XP will upgrade to Vista Ultimate. Microsoft doesn't care if XP got there as an OEM installation, an Upgrade installation or a clean install from a full retail copy. Same deal for upgrade qualification - they don't care!

The OEM XP can't be transferred if it's already been installed and activated. If that has happened then it doesn't matter if you sell it or give it away - both are illegal.

If the OEM XP hasn't been used then it hasn't yet become a valid Windows license, so the first person to install and activate it owns the bloody license!

Plenty of people have used OEM copies of Windows to install on multiple machines. The legal restriction says you're not allowed to. It doesn't say you're not able to!

Back