Vista and system properties showing CPU speed question

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I have my Q6600@ 3.85GHz, yet in vista64 in "properties" it says my quad is 2.39GHz? What gives? Clearly the PC is operating @ 3.85GHz. Here is a screen shot to show you what I mean:

2001947105780827023_rs.jpg

stock speed for a Q6600 is 2.4GHz.... Why doesnt my system properties show my CPU @ 3.85GHz, like XP did, XP64 did, and cpu-z does. Is this a weird flaw with Vista

That will likely be the idle CPU speed throttling in action.
It reduces the CPU multiplier when there isnt a decent load on the CPU.
You can turn it off in the CMOS.

(I cant see your screenshot for some reason so I'm running a little blind)

I have all that throttling crap disabled in the BIOS

Its possible it is reporting the default speed of the CPU only.
In XP I get the same but it also reports the overclocked speed.
In System Properties, General Tab, it says:
E8400 @ 3.00GHz
then underneath it says
4.00GHz, 3.25GB of RAM

I believe that is correct. It reports the speed from the CPU's identifier, not the actual speed it's running at.

Its possible it is reporting the default speed of the CPU only.
In XP I get the same but it also reports the overclocked speed.
In System Properties, General Tab, it says:
E8400 @ 3.00GHz
then underneath it says
4.00GHz, 3.25GB of RAM

Exactly, that is how XP works, but Vista I guess doesn't

I believe that is correct. It reports the speed from the CPU's identifier, not the actual speed it's running at.
Can someone who is running Vista with an OC'ed CPU confirm this.

My E6600 reports as 2.4GHz (default speed) in Vista even though CPU-Z shows it at 3.2GHz, which is it's actually speed.

My E6600 reports as 2.4GHz (default speed) in Vista even though CPU-Z shows it at 3.2GHz, which is it's actually speed.
ok, so all it does is read the CPU string, not the OC'ed speed.... Thanks bro.

I had a Pentium D 930 in my asus maximus formula for some time. It's a 3.0 GHz cpu. I had it OCd to 3.6 and Vista did show the default of 3.0 and the current of 3.6. However I have just upgraded to the Q9550 and I have it running at 3.4 and Vista DOES NOT show the speed on the new cpu. So it would appear it does not show the current speed for quad cores. Or maybe it's just newer cpu's it can't deal with. Who knows.... But the point being...... it is suppose to show the speed it's running at. The real question is ...... Does Microsoft know about it? and are they doing anything to fix it?

I had a Pentium D 930 in my asus maximus formula for some time. It's a 3.0 GHz cpu. I had it OCd to 3.6 and Vista did show the default of 3.0 and the current of 3.6. However I have just upgraded to the Q9550 and I have it running at 3.4 and Vista DOES NOT show the speed on the new cpu. So it would appear it does not show the current speed for quad cores. Or maybe it's just newer cpu's it can't deal with. Who knows.... But the point being...... it is suppose to show the speed it's running at. The real question is ...... Does Microsoft know about it? and are they doing anything to fix it?

Its not a fault, the displayed speed is what the chip was sold as.
You know the speed its running, I dont see the problem.

It will display stock speed as long as C1E and SpeedStep are on in the BIOS.
If you turn those off it'll show the correct CPU speed.

@ Nenu - It's just one of those little things that'll bug you even though it isn't a big deal.

Back