Vista and IE8: History not clearing

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
When I start typing "hard" into the address bar, it has all the history for it come up.

I've tried using the Delete Browsing History (and yes- I untick the option for the Favorites website data so it deletes EVERYTHING), and it still stays in there.

I've even completely exited IE, ran CCleaner, and it's still in there. ??????????????????????????????????

It's as if these items are permanantly stuck in history.

Anyone run into that before?

Edit- screenshots of the problem.
You can see, when I type in "hard" it immediately pulls up stuff from History. But I've just deleted it, as there's no actual URLs yet:
4193811112_7b4be79cd7_o.jpg

For example, if I've already BEEN to hardforum.com, and type in "hard", it would show it:
4193811072_bdbc57acbc_o.jpg

So as you can see, I don't even visit the website yet- but it still has a history.
For example, one of the items in the history, the last post I made was 11 DAYS AGO!!!

Last edited:
Go into Tools->Internet Options-> Content-> Auto Complete Settings ...

Untick everything you do not want saved by the browser while you search.

If your having troubles clearing everything, download the free version of Revo Uninstaller and go into the Tools- >Tracks Cleaner-> Browser cleaner. Check all 5 boxes for IE and Execute. It should forcefully wipe everything. That works even when you have the computer set to not allow browser history wipes. There's even a portable version that you can keep on a thumb drive.

Last edited:
Have you checked the Content tab under Internet Options. There is a setting for AutoComplete. Uncheck that and restart the browser. And you can delete the autocomplete history from the button in there.

EDIT: Hmm, bigdogchris is a ninja...

Those AutoComplete settings HIDE it, but as soon as I re-check them, they show back up again.

Reevo Uninstaller's tools didn't help, either. Deleted everything, opened IE: and they're there. I don't even visit the website and I've got history in there...

When you installed IE8, did you do custom settings and disable suggested sites or just take the express settings?

Also, try Revo in Safe Mode. Something may be causing your temp folder to be locked.

If that still doesn't work, enable viewing hidden files

go to C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows

Delete the History folder and Temporary Internet Files folder.

Last edited:
I'll have to try that tomorrow, but yea- suggested sites is disabled.

I went as far as even resetting all IE settings (Advanced Tab in Internet Options) to reset everything and it still didn't do squat.

I even logged in under another account and deleted all the Index.dats I could find...

Back