Vista and 7 series SLI, How well is it working?

MattWeb

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking about reclaiming my other 7950 GT from the wife (she'll need a new card) and trying out SLi with Vista but I'd like to hear from someone that's running this currently. How well is it working, any bugs / stability issues? Are you happy overall with the performance at this point? I'm currently running the 158.24 driver with the setup in my sig.

Thanks

I don't know about the 7 series cards, the 8's though, there is a bout a 5% performance difference between Vista and XP. Though I don't really think you could tell the difference between 85FPS and 81FPS. Not enough to make a real world difference.

I'm certainly interested in this as well since I have a 7900GS...

I don't know about the 7 series cards, the 8's though, there is a bout a 5% performance difference between Vista and XP. Though I don't really think you could tell the difference between 85FPS and 81FPS. Not enough to make a real world difference.

I doubt I could tell either. Mostly I'm concerned with stability. I don't need to make this change obviously but it'd be quite bothersome to pick a new card for the wife, install my other card and find out things are still FUBAR'd. :D Of course I'm getting the itch to open my cause and mess with things again (Dont cry credit card) so all may not be lost. Maybe the wife would like SLi and I can then pick up a 8800GTX or Ultra. lol

I've got two 7800GT's in SLI. System is dual-booted with XP Pro and Vista Ultimate (both 32bit versions).

XPP = SLI goodness.

Vista = no SLI no matter what Official or Beta release driver I try. I've contacted my motherboard vendor wondering if this was a motherboard issue, but they were of little help and determined it must still be a driver problem from nVidia.

i have a 7950gx2 and running it in vista was killing my frame rates, by about 10-15 fps in all of the games i tried. I dont know if it is my particular setup but gaming wasnt that great in vista for me especially in high end games like oblivion . Thats why i setup a stripped to the bone edition of xp on another drive for gaming.

hope this helps

Thanks guys, it does help but a bit after the fact. I bit the bullet last night and reclaimed my card from the wife, she got a 7100gs as a replacement. She'll never know how much power she lost Bwahahahahaha. Anyways, couldn't get Sli running for nothing, got pissed, threw some stuff, got mad at myself for giving nvidia more of my $ and decided what I really want is speed. I dumped Vista (God how I'll miss her, she's like a good looking woman that really isn't all that good in the sack. I'll take the average woman who rocks my world anyday.) and went back to XP........this will be the 4th time in 6 months. Wow, never had XP loaded with my new stuff (sig) before. Way.....way faster than Vista. I think I made the correct choice and I'm happy for the time being.

I think it's an evil plot by nVidia to make us 6 and 7 series users upgrade to 8 series if we want SLI+Vista. :p

I think it's an evil plot by nVidia to make us 6 and 7 series users upgrade to 8 series if we want SLI+Vista. :p

:D I think it MS also, I mean what incentive do they have to help us lowly pc gamers out when they have a wonderful gaming machine called the XBOX360. We should all go buy 1 right now and put all these issues to bed. /sarcasm

:D I think it MS also, I mean what incentive do they have to help us lowly pc gamers out when they have a wonderful gaming machine called the XBOX360. We should all go buy 1 right now and put all these issues to bed. /sarcasm

The incentive MS has is to sell more copies of Vista and Office, a ton of mice and keyboards, and ported games from the XBox, which would translate to about 20 times the profit than just selling consoles and games. :D

The incentive MS has is to sell more copies of Vista and Office, a ton of mice and keyboards, and ported games from the XBox, which would translate to about 20 times the profit than just selling consoles and games. :D

You're not helping me blame other people for my problems very well. :(

;)

Back