Vista Activation Question

Nahid

Limp Gawd
I did search for this, however, was unable to find an answer, so I apologize if it was already discussed.

Anyways,

I have Vista Ultimate [32-bit] oem copy. I installed it on my last motherboard [p5n-e] and activated it w/o a problem. Currently I upgraded to the eVga 780i motherboard and installed the same Vista on it and tried activating it and received an error message. It said the key was already activated [I'm assuming it was from my previous motherboard].

What must I do?

I am still very new at Vista, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for those who help out.

You must purchase another copy of Vista for the second machine, simple. It is possible to call Microsoft and get a new key that you could use on the new motherboard, but unless the old motherboard became defective, died outright, caught on fire, etc then you'd be abusing the priviledge. Microsoft is not obligated to give you a new key but instead ask you to purchase a new copy of Vista.

If your old motherboard became defective or died, they usually understand that hardware does go bad, dies, etc and are willing to provide you a new key to use once again. All of this information is kept on file at Microsoft, so a pattern of this type of "upgrading" will have a negative effect in the long run.

But, if your mobo died, give 'em a call and see what happens. Explain it, and maybe you'll get lucky.

If you just decided to upgrade for better equipment, then my original suggestion is valid: you have to buy a new copy of Vista.

You must purchase another copy of Vista for the second machine, simple.

Wow, that was a super fast response!

Well, just an FYI, I no longer use vista for my previous motherboard [p5n-e]. I installed XP on that one.

Man, that sucks! Had I known that, I would have never activated it :(

Thanks Joe for the quick and detailed response! Appreciate it man.

call and re-activate it, the question they will ask is..

Is it installed one 1 machine? Yes
Why are you reactivating? Hardware upgrade

and they'll give you the activation code..

i've had to reactivate my vista oem a couple of times just from other hardware upgrades (Video card / RAM) and the reactivation has always been smooth as can be.

Yeah, I'm the type to reinstall my OS every couple of months so I've called them a bunch of times with no problems

call and re-activate it, the question they will ask is..

Is it installed one 1 machine? Yes
Why are you reactivating? Hardware upgrade

and they'll give you the activation code..

i've had to reactivate my vista oem a couple of times just from other hardware upgrades (Video card / RAM) and the reactivation has always been smooth as can be.

By "activation code" do you mean, another code???

Back