Vista Activation key question

trevgit

n00b
Here's my story. I bought a Gateway laptop last fall with the forms for the express upgrade to Windows Vista. I got tired of waiting for my upgrade disk to show up so I bought an OEM copy of Home Premium and installed it on the laptop. I never input the activation key as I knew I had 30 days to try it before I had to. Well low and behold my Express upgrade DVD showed up in the mail today. So I put the activation key from the Express upgrade into windows and it activated with no problem.

Now comes my question. I used the OEM disk to physically install Vista onto the laptop but the Express upgrade key to activate it. Now I have an OEM disk and activation key that are "unused." Will this cause a problem if I install the OEM disk on another computer and activate it with the OEM key?
Thanks

Trevor

Nope, I have one disc I install all my copies of Vista off of (mostly Business and Home Premium) and just use a key I assigned to that PC. Its all about the Key with Vista and has nothing to do with the disc, well except Upgrade and Full since you can install an upgrade full using a full disc, lol.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. Installing and setting up my computer takes forever and is a pain. I'm glad I don't have to do it over.

Always remember it's the key that makes an install be considered in use and legal. The media used to install it doesn't matter, as long as the keys are compatible (OEM, retail, etc).

Back