Vista activation - how do "deactivate" first installation?

I'm about to put together a new system and from what I can understand, when I install Vista on the new machine, my first system with the same copy of Vista will be "Deactivated" - which is ok, as my old system is going to part-heaven anyway. Is this correct?

no, I have activated vista/xp on a few computers and the old ones never deactivated

I'm about to put together a new system and from what I can understand, when I install Vista on the new machine, my first system with the same copy of Vista will be "Deactivated" - which is ok, as my old system is going to part-heaven anyway. Is this correct?

To "Deactivate" Vista on the old PC format the hard disk bam deactivated. Required by the EULA anyway if you move windows from and old PC you have to remove it from the old PC.

pcgeek11

The old install will not be deactivated.That's a myth. It does not need to be deactivated to enable you to install again on another PC. That's another myth.

Install on a different PC and, if it's not too soon after the most recent activation, the new install will auto-activate over the internet. If the previous install/activate was ver recent then auto-activate might fail and you might need to manually activate by telephone..

The old install will not be deactivated.That's a myth. It does not need to be deactivated to enable you to install again on another PC. That's another myth.

Install on a different PC and, if it's not too soon after the most recent activation, the new install will auto-activate over the internet. If the previous install/activate was ver recent then auto-activate might fail and you might need to manually activate by telephone..

I thought for retail key, users can activate window upto 5 times. After that, you will have to phone in for activation.

I thought for retail key, users can activate window upto 5 times.

There are far, far more people spouting incorrect information about this than there are people providing accurate information.

There is no 'lifetime' record of activations maintained for Windows activation, in the way you describe. The relevent activation server caches get regularly flushed, and activation counters reset to zero. For the Microsoft Office product family that occurs once every 90 days, and I suspect the same is true for Windows.

There is definitely a 'maximum number of allowable activations' restriction, but that does not apply over a lengthy period of time. The restriction simply means number of activations allowed during the set period (before the next due reset) before automatic online or telephone activation will be refused. Install and activate too many times during the 90 days (or whatever it is for Windows, if different) and subsequent attempts will generate a "You have exceeded the maximum nuber of allowable activations" error message.

When you see that message reported, you basically have two alternatives:

• Wait until the current period has expired and try again. After the 90 days (or whatever, for Windows) has expired you will again be able to conduct automatic online activation.
  • Have your installation manually activated, by telephone. When you choose telephone activation you will first have to undergo 'automatic telephone activation'. That will also fail, with the same error message. The telephone robot will then present you with a number of keypress alternatives. One of those is the option to speak with an activation centre person if you "Disagree with the decision". Choose that, explain the situation, and you'll be stepped through manual activation.

I recently had the same thing happen whilst trying to activate an Office 2007 installation which got refused activation. Getting the automated refusal over-ridden is a tad tedious, but not difficult.

I'm pretty sure, by the way, that the 'required period' for Windows is 90 days, in line with the MS applications products.

There are far, far more people spouting incorrect information about this than there are people providing accurate information.

There is no 'lifetime' record of activations maintained for Windows activation, in the way you describe. The relevent activation server caches get regularly flushed, and activation counters reset to zero. For the Microsoft Office product family that occurs once every 90 days, and I suspect the same is true for Windows.

There is definitely a 'maximum number of allowable activations' restriction, but that does not apply over a lengthy period of time. The restriction simply means number of activations allowed during the set period (before the next due reset) before automatic online or telephone activation will be refused. Install and activate too many times during the 90 days (or whatever it is for Windows, if different) and subsequent attempts will generate a "You have exceeded the maximum nuber of allowable activations" error message.

When you see that message reported, you basically have two alternatives:

• Wait until the current period has expired and try again. After the 90 days (or whatever, for Windows) has expired you will again be able to conduct automatic online activation.
  • Have your installation manually activated, by telephone. When you choose telephone activation you will first have to undergo 'automatic telephone activation'. That will also fail, with the same error message. The telephone robot will then present you with a number of keypress alternatives. One of those is the option to speak with an activation centre person if you "Disagree with the decision". Choose that, explain the situation, and you'll be stepped through manual activation.

I recently had the same thing happen whilst trying to activate an Office 2007 installation which got refused activation. Getting the automated refusal over-ridden is a tad tedious, but not difficult.

I'm pretty sure, by the way, that the 'required period' for Windows is 90 days, in line with the MS applications products.
QFT
ive done hundreds of manual phone activations of XP and Vista (failed internet activation) and didnt have a single problem.

Back