Vista 64bit Sp1 color calibration not loading properly ?

I just recently read some other Vista SP1 64bit user and they reported the following.

My tuppence worth..........

Since loading SP1 on my Vista Ultimate64bit system, I cannot retain a monitor profile.

I am using an EyeOne Match2 with basICColor Display using presets and the Express mode of profiling.

After profiling, everything looks fine. However, after either succumbing to the Authorization Bug (as outlined in the article in the above link) or rebooting, Vista fails to load the profile. In System Profile, the profile is listed as the default profile, but that is not the case. I have basICColor grey test strips permanently on my desktop and I can tell immediately when the profile goes awry.

I have turned off the nVidia startup items AND disabled the Firewall, all to no avail.

SP1 is a crock, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, Vista is very stable and CS3 screams along on this very fast computer (I can save out a 220Mb Hasselblad TIFF in 13 seconds and the Retouch Artists' Speedtest takes only 22 seconds.), but this profiling problem is a major pain.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25185&st=0

Could this explain why sometimes my calibration results are different when i review with basICColor after a while even though i didn't change any settings or done any calibration ?

Any ideas ?

This applies to calibration where the LUT in the graphics card is modified - where the monitor is not capable of hardware calibration.

The startup issue:
The LUT is loaded into the graphics card before the some of the graphics driver components are started. When the all the graphics driver compontents start up the LUT is reset wiping out the modified one you want. Fix by stopping certain parts of the graphics drivers from loading at startup or manually run the gamma loader after startup.

The authorisation bug:
Whn Vista shows the secure desktop - when the UAC box pops up - it dims the screen around the UAC box by tweaking the LUT in the graphics card. When the system goes back to the normal display after the UAC propmt is dealt with the previous LUT settings are not reloaded - wiping out the calibration. Fix: run the gamma loader to reload the LUT settings until MS fixes it.

If these events are not happening between calibration and profiling and rechecking the profile then the results of the check should be the same as the original results of the calibration. If you are getting different results without any UAC prompts/reboots between checks then something esle is wrong. Are you letting the monitor warm up sufficiently before calibrating? It should be on for at least an hour before calibrating to make sure. If it warms up more between calibration and checking then the display characteristics will change slightly giving different results. Also, make sure you are not altering any of the monitor settings between calibration and checking as that will invalidate the calibration as well.

Thx for your feedback.

These are my startup items. I just notice there is a video lut loader from basICColor and a calibration loader. I did the calibration using eye match, and only used BCC for review purpose only. Should something here be turned off ?

How do i run the gamma loader ? Where do i find it :confused:

About turning off windows firewall i don't bother because on Vista even when i turn it off sometimes it still is on .... some sort of Vista defect of sorts which refuses to close the firewall even when you click to disable it.

Not too sure about elevating admin priviledges so i don't get those UAC to ruin my calibration :(

Having more than one calibration loader will screw things up as well. You should use the calibration loader installed with whatever calibration software you use. Delete the other one. Eye One Match also has a review function.

Gamma loader is another name for a calibration loader. If you want to run it just navigate your start menu to the Startup section and click on the shortcut to the calibration loader.

I found it thanks. I've disabled the basICColor loader.

Then how about the nvidia stuff ? what should be disabled there ? I didn't see any suspicious nvidia loaders.

The Nvidia stuff doesn't show up in Defender, you have to use msconfig. In the startup tab uncheck the entries starting with nv.

Here's a program that you can try. It's called "DisplayProfile". It loads any ICM file with gamma adjustments into your graphics lut for a particular monitor.

Sometimes you have to switch back and forth by selecting another profile, and reselecting your's, but it does work even under Vista.

http://rapidshare.com/files/144362130/DisplayProfile.zip

Thx both.

Ive turned off windows firewall. Turned off uac.

Also went to msconfig and turned off for startup programs for the the BCC loader, and also the nvidia stuff that loaded on startup. I let the Eye match loader startup when computer boots.

How about services, there is a nvidia thing there, should that be disabled as well o_O: ?

So i am guessing i have to recalibrate now because previous calibrations were all messed up by 3 2 different loaders, and also the nvidia startup ? AND the firewall and UAC ?

About monitor warm up i leave my monitor on with screensaver turned off. However when i boot or knocked my monitor plug and it goes of for a bit, do i need to wait another hour or does it not matter as long as i turn on the monitor fast ?

If you accidentally turn off your screen and turn it back on quickly it won't cool down so you would be alright.

I would leave the service running. You could always disable it if there are still problems to see what happens.

recalibrated.

Brightness: 1

Contrast: 80

R: 250

G: 230

B: 255

So hopefully after disabling nvidia driver software, BCC loader from msconfig, AND also disabling firewall and UAC in Vista ultimate 64bit SP1. my calibration should be more or less the same result after review later. I hope :eek:

I will reboot my computer now, then review the calibration and see if i get same results.

Did a fast reboot then did the review in BCC and this was what i got.

How can the results be so different so soon ;_; ?

By the way when i start a video in media player classic, the windows flashes a second then tells me this message on bottom right.

Does this mess up my color calibration ? after i turn of the video ? once i am done watching ?

What does the HP Display Litesaver application listed in your defender window do? Maybe try stopping that running. What results do you get if you check the calibration in the Eye One Match software?

Hi guys,

Found this forum through Google. I'm still trying to find a solution to this problem (yes, it was me who posted on Luminous Landscape as quoted above.)

I'm Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and using basICColor Display software, in conjunction with an Eye1 Match 2, to profile my monitor.

I have done the following:

1. Switched off the three Nvidia items in Startup.

2. Switched off Windows Firewall - as it keeps reminding me!

3. Switched off User Account Control (UAC).

4. Rebooted the machine.

5. Profiled the monitor.

After the next reboot - while I no longer get the UAC prevented some items from launching at startup (i.e. Video LUT loaders) - the profile is no longer there.

If I right click on the desktop and choose Personalize/Display Settings/Advanced Settings/Colour Management, the profile created by basICColor is listed as the default profile and is the ONLY profile listed in that dialogue.

One last thing: Colour Solutions (i.e. the people that make basICColor Display) Video LUT Loader is ticked in System Configuration/Startup. I presume that it should be.

Any ideas what else I might try?

Many thanks.

D.

Strange. I have no problems with Vista x64 and have defender and the windows firewall running.

What type of user account do you use? Maybe that has something to do with it.

mlewis,

Now that you mention it...............:cool:

There is only one account on this computer, since I'm the only one that uses it, and it's an Administrator account.

That does appear to be the problem with video LUTs not loading.

However, if I create a new Standard User account, all I get is a desktop with a Recycly Bin on it. Nothing else! Everything is over on my Administrator account.

1. Can I downgrade my Administrator account to a Standard Account so that everything loads on startup?

If yes, please explain in detail! :)

2. If not, how can I transfer across to my Standard User desktop everything that is on my Administrator's desktop?

Many thanks.

D.

I was thinking more that if you were not using an administrator account that it may be causing some of the issues.

If you want to change your user account to a standard one, first create a new administrator level account. Then go to where you can change you account settings and change your account type to standard.

mlewis,

Thanks for the feedback.

I've created another account and downgraded my own to Standard User.

However, Video LUTs are still not loading at startup. The only difference is that I'm not being prompted that User Account Control is preventing this from happening. It just happens! :mad:

Very annoying, I have to say.

Any idea what I might try?

Many thanks.

D.

Edited: I turned off UAC in my Standard User account and now the Video LUT loads on Startup. However, while the very close, it isn't exactly the same as just after calibration.

Back