Vista 64 SP1: unable to copy compressed files?

knobbicus

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,

New to Vista, but not a complete idiot (well, I don't think so...) I have two systems on my home network, and need to move files from my XP box over to Vista (such as my counter strike map packs, company of heroes patches, etc). So I have shared the folders on both boxes and allowed full control under permissions.

The problem I'm having is that when I try to copy compressed files, .rar, .zip, maybe others, from my XP box onto the Vista box (and sitting at the Vista box), I get "Destination Folder Access Denied. You need permission to perform this action."

Of course, I have full control of the destination directory, because I just made it, and I can see that I have full control in the permissions.

Please tell me I'm just being dumb and I have some security setting turned on somewhere. I sure as hell can't find it.

thanks,
-knobbicus

Ok, a little more info and some bumpage.

Talked to someone who works with Windows a fair amount professionally, and he says that all windows (well, at least XP and vista, not sure about older) copying commands first uncompress the file, then copy it. which of course is dumb, but that's what windows is doing. He didn't have any suggestions otherwise other than to look at permissions.

I've seen some traffic on this out there on the web, but I don't see any solutions.

Thanks,
knobbicus

Deacon-

They do. I was moving my big company of heroes patch from the xp box to the vista box, and the .exe files moved just fine, but when I tried to move the map packs over as .zip files, they gave me the error. Also, music moved just fine too.

Grrr!

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

-knobbicus

I move files between my XP backup "server" and Vista system all the time. It still works with SP1.

Vista doesn't decompress the files, but your AV program might to scan it.

pxc-

are those files compressed? i can move files ok, just not compressed ones. it seems to have particular trouble with .rar files. i'm not running any AV soft at all (yet). though i'm not sure whether the Vista Defender thing is on or off. i keep trying to turn it off, but it's not clear that it's deactivated.

i don't know myself about whether vista is doing any decompressing or not. that info is from someone else.

pxc- what are your security settings? do you have all the vista stuff off? are there other places in vista where security settings are lurking that aren't obvious?

thanks,
-knobbicus

pxc-

are those files compressed? i can move files ok, just not compressed ones.
.zips, .rars, .exes, .docs, programming files, etc. I haven't changed any part of Vista besides enabling hibernation and disabling hybrid sleep. The remote share is only opened to one login.

Whatever is molesting your RAR files isn't something that comes with Vista. ;)

pxc- I'm baffled. I've messed with a bunch of settings to try to disable every security setting I can think of. One thing that occured to me: does your login have a password associated with it? I don't tend to use passwords with my user accounts. I guess there's a chance that could be causing issues.

-knobbicus

Yes, I always use passwords, on user accounts and on shares. But that shouldn't affect only one type of file.

Here is a thought, because I see this on Server 2003 all of the time. Right click the file, and select properties. Is there an "Unblock" button at the bottom right? If so, click it and try again.

xxeieioxx-

don't see that checkbox. thanks for the suggestion though. i'm going to try to set a password on my account and see what that does for me.

-knobbicus

well, i set a password, and that didn't make a difference. so back to square 1.

-knobbicus

Back