Vista 64 file sharing issue

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I noticed that I couldn’t access any of the network shares on one of my Vista64 boxes. When I browsed to the box all I could see shared was the shared network printer.

When I went to the computer in question, and went to one of the folders that was supposed to be shared (all on the root of the drive) went to properties then the sharing tab, the default share bubble was grayed out, only the “advanced sharing” options were available. I thought that was odd as I had never encountered that behavior before. I do have password protected sharing disabled, etc.

I noticed that for any folder on the root of the drive that the regular share options were grayed out as well.

Now this is where it gets really weird. As a test, I made a new folder on the desktop and tried to share it. The default share options were available so I shared it and then added “everyone” as a “reader”.

When I went to my XP box to see if I could access it over the network, I was surprised to find a share, not the folder I had shared on the desktop, but that the “Users” folder had now been shared. I’d guess this is because the Users folder is the root of the desktop folder, but why would sharing a folder on the desktop cause the entire users folder to become shared?!? Something is seriously messed up here…

I repeated the process several times from other folders and each time it was the same.

I can not share folders on the root of the drive using simple file sharing, and any folder that I try to share that isn’t on the root of the drive ends up sharing the folder that it ultimately exists in on the root of the drive instead.

Any ideas on what could cause such a weird and annoying issue?

Back