Vista 64-bit SP1 Release Candidate

sed8em

2[H]4U
I'm downloading and am about to install the SP1 RC for Vista Business 64-bit.
Just want to double check here that other users who have installed the SP1 RC havent had any adverse outcomes to the installation.

Unless you call absolutely no difference at all "adverse" then no I haven't personally nor heard anything happen.

Hopefully the full release is more significant than this one, because at this point most people who have dreaded Vista aren't going to be motivated to switch.

I'm holding off on installing a beta SP1, especially when it would need to be removed before installing the final version. If I remember correctly, the final version should be out shortly, so I'll be waiting for that.

I installed SP1 on my rig, worked great but absolutly HOSED media center, took literally 60 seconds just to respond to a mouse click, completely useless. So i uninstalled it, that unvalidated my install, locked me out till i called the guy in india.

That was the only issue i had, but it was a big one.

SP1 RC 'Refresh' on my machine baically doubled my boot time and I didn't notice any speed increases in Vista operation overall, in fact I'd say it was borderline slower.

Gaming performance didn't seem to change much at all, still around 10% slower than XP x64.

If you don't need DX10 right now I'd definitely recommend sticking with XP or better yet moving to XP x64.

at times doesn't feel like anything's changed other than the file copy indicator showing the right amount of time, still takes longer than it should though.

at times doesn't feel like anything's changed other than the file copy indicator showing the right amount of time, still takes longer than it should though.

Yeah aside from my rig being slower in general I did notice that Vista finally had a clue about how long a file move/copy operation was actually going to take. Probably the one and only good thing I noticed from the service pack. :p

Back