Vista 5456 much speedier....

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
I am quite impressed, I loved the first run, but gaming speed suffered even in D3D games. After installing 5456 this morning, WOW, games like Far Cry and COD2 now run like they SHOULD....the drivers still need some work, but now the framerates are 5-7fps of what XP Pro is running....with the first Beta2, man we are talking Vista was dropping 20 to 25 fps less than XP.....

This is a good sign, and as the vid card makers get better drivers written, this will improve more. But for a "beta" this build is pretty damn good.....

I agree, much better build. However, this has nothing to do with the build but the damn "are you sure" and the security popups for deleting, running or changing a setting popups are annoying!!!

They could find a better way of handling that... add another 1 billion to the budget or even better drop some "advertised" features...

syntx said:
I agree, much better build. However, this has nothing to do with the build but the damn "are you sure" and the security popups for deleting, running or changing a setting popups are annoying!!!

They could find a better way of handling that... add another 1 billion to the budget or even better drop some "advertised" features...

Agreed. I turn off that damn thing..... :D

Yup, everything about it is faster, starting with the installation! Much improved over the previous build...

I am loading the hell out of it, 3 IE windows open with several tabs, winamp going, media player listening to a feed on the net, folding@home x2 running, couple folders open, all the eye candy one, it is working very smooth and I can't even tell it is using a gig of pagefile...hah. I have not tested OpenGL games yet but that is coming...so far D3D stuff is pretty speedy compared to the initial release.

I did however have to revert to using an XP sound driver, the Vista beta driver from NV skipped and dragged, and would completely drop out after a few minutes. The XP driver has thus far been flawless.

Cele-CT said:
What system specs you running it on?

AMD X2 @2.6ghz, 2gb DDR, 7900GT, on an NF4 based Abit board. Vista is installed on a 60gb SATA all by itself, XP Pro is on another identical 60gb SATA drive, and I have a 250gb SATA drive for storage and games. I even ran a RAID 0 (Striped) setup for a bit, loading RAID drivers is EASY from a CD, I did not try the USB thumbdrive method.

This build is very good for a Beta....

TheRapture said:
I am loading the hell out of it, 3 IE windows open with several tabs, winamp going, media player listening to a feed on the net, folding@home x2 running, couple folders open, all the eye candy one, it is working very smooth and I can't even tell it is using a gig of pagefile...hah. I have not tested OpenGL games yet but that is coming...so far D3D stuff is pretty speedy compared to the initial release.

I did however have to revert to using an XP sound driver, the Vista beta driver from NV skipped and dragged, and would completely drop out after a few minutes. The XP driver has thus far been flawless.

hey i got a nvidia mobo with a built in 5.1 sound thingy, and with vista beta 2 i can't run the surround sound, its only 2.1....does this new buiild have support for 5.1?

Chris_Morley said:
Yup, everything about it is faster, starting with the installation! Much improved over the previous build...

I saw that difference too. I'm running an athlon 1.4 tbird with 512 and a geforce fx card.
The initial beta 2 install took me about an hr. but then when I did this one the other day, it was to my desktop in roughly half an hr.

havn't tried the older beta... but i just installed the new one yesterday... runs like XP... only shinier... and prettier... and glassy..er...

offtopic question: how long can you use the beta for? i don't have internet connection on the computer running vista (temporarily) and i have it for 14 days until i have to activate it... how long can i use it after activation?

grumpy.jpg

In my day we ran 5384 and liked it!

;)

was that a reply to my question?

and if it was... WHEE!! FREE OS FOR A YEAR! :p

lozaning said:
iirc i think it is for a year or until it actually comes out

Just like the previous version, it wont install with my 2nd X1900XT installed. Had to remove it, to get it to install. After that, it installed fine. However, now the same ATI (VB2) drivers I used for the last build, dont want to install. :(

Yes, where does one download it? I assume that the beta 2 keys still work (I managed to get in before they closed it). I am sure there are "ways" of doing so, but it would be really ncie to get it from MS itself. Is this even beign relesed to Beta2 testers, or do we have to wait for RC1?

this version isn't released to the general CPP program which means that beta 2 keys won't work. i think we're gonna have to wait for RC1

Too bad. Oh well, at least we have something to play with for now. I still need to figure out how to "unhide" all the normal configuration dialogs... booted into vista twice, and beta2 seemed ok for what I would be using it for.

evs said:
hey i got a nvidia mobo with a built in 5.1 sound thingy, and with vista beta 2 i can't run the surround sound, its only 2.1....does this new buiild have support for 5.1?

It does using an XP driver......or at least it reports that it does, I do not have a 5.1 speaker system....
:(

evs said:
this version isn't released to the general CPP program which means that beta 2 keys won't work. i think we're gonna have to wait for RC1

My original beta2 key worked just fine on 5456 :p

TheRapture said:
My original beta2 key worked just fine on 5456 :p

really? that's awesome.

say do u need to do a full on clean install for the new versions and releases?

evs said:
really? that's awesome.

say do u need to do a full on clean install for the new versions and releases?
within the beta phase ? yup.. even with the rc releases it'll probably be recommended to do a clean install.

also, in past builds cd-keys from previous ones have usually worked. :)

evs said:
So where do ppl get it from then?

man i got 5456 from work this morning and installed it
i am well impressed.
before this Vista was starting to piss me off, but now.
Its fast to boot, more stable, and now i want to use it.

Cele-CT said:
Rapture... are you sure? Please say you are... :)
Mine worked just fine. clean install all around.

as far as where to get it,... there's a torrent for everything just about, and newsgroups probably still have a listing for it if you know how to use those. As always, it's up to you for the legality of it

fallguy said:
Just like the previous version, it wont install with my 2nd X1900XT installed. Had to remove it, to get it to install. After that, it installed fine. However, now the same ATI (VB2) drivers I used for the last build, dont want to install. :(

Well, I guess I had a blonde moment. I had originally had the 32bit version of VB2 installed, then wanted to try the 64bit version with 5456. So I installed it, and went out for the day. Came back, and tried to install the drivers, but they were 32bit. But I forgot about changing... and obviously they wouldnt install. Got the 64bit version, and they installed fine. Still no Overdrive or Crossfire, but I can wait for that.

-l-Z3K3-l- said:
man i got 5456 from work this morning and installed it
i am well impressed.
before this Vista was starting to piss me off, but now.
Its fast to boot, more stable, and now i want to use it.

Same exact feeling for me. I am really impressed with this revision.

syntx said:

You ever run Linux as a non-root user? Ever run OS X non-root? Honestly, it isn't much different than that. Granted, su- handles it way better and I wish Windows would have something like that, but as far as normal desktop verification goes, the "are you sure" screens have so far reminded me of the first time I ran Red Hat, unsure of why the OS needed to ask me for my root password so often.

hey,

what do people think.

should i download the newer build and then do another clean install? or should i just wait for the RC in august? i mean i just got comfortable with my settings, i really dun wanna have to do it all again. :p

evs said:
hey,

what do people think.

should i download the newer build and then do another clean install? or should i just wait for the RC in august? i mean i just got comfortable with my settings, i really dun wanna have to do it all again. :p

Best bet is to install fresh, or possibly suffer issues, many have. If you are not willing to wipe and reinstall fresh for new Beta releases, maybe Beta OS testing isn't for you :p

TheRapture said:
Best bet is to install fresh, or possibly suffer issues, many have. If you are not willing to wipe and reinstall fresh for new Beta releases, maybe Beta OS testing isn't for you :p

jee thanks :D

yeh...well i'm just trying to see if its worth it, because i'm gonna have to do it again soon in august. also i just need to make sure that the beta 2 cd-key works with it first.

does anyone know how much disk space the new version uses?

I've been a connect member for quite a while, but I dont see Vista in the "avaliable programs" view... is there anything special I have to do to get this?

Back