Vista 32bit, or 64bit

flooberjobby

Limp Gawd
I am debating on getting vista ultimate 64bit or 32bit.

Now I used xp 64bit before and had troubles installing programs on it because they were not compatable with 64 bit.

My main question about the 64 bit windows so far is, have they made it backwords compatable with the older bits, such as 32 bit, 16 bit, and so on? Because I still play some old games.

Also any pros and cons that you can mention would be helpfull. I currently have Vista home premium and am having no problems with it at all.

No, Windows x64 does not support 16-bit apps. It's never going to be re-added. 16-bit code no longer belongs in modern operating systems.

Please name some applications you could not run in XP64 that were not 16-bit applications.

yeah 16 bit will not work at all ever, If you must have 16bit, run a Virtual Machine. or just better to have a second system to run it.

As for 32bit should be fine, question is more about the OS. then if 32 or 64bits

As just stated, your only option for running 16 bit apps (my god, do people still do that?) on any x64 version of any Windows OS is to create a virtual machine using one of the following applications:

- VirtualPC 2007, by Microsoft, free, works best with Windows OSes as guests but can run some others (just doesn't like Linux distros), fairly lightweight but limited features

- VirtualBox, the new kid on the virtual block as the case may be, lean and mean, fast and damned nice, works with almost any OS ever made, strong competition for...

- VMWare, the king of virtuality you could say, but a bloated pig and a resource hungry mofo if there ever was one, it's the king for a reason however - it can do most anything possible with respect to virtual machines and OS virtualization

You can install a "guest" OS inside a virtual machine created by one of those apps (or all of 'em individually if you're a true geek), and the virtual machine software (those listed above) runs on your "host" OS, meaning the OS you have installed on your machine: most like, some edition of Vista x64.

Very cool stuff to learn about and play around with.

Thanks for all the help. I still play games like Fallout, one the best games in my opinion ever made. Hope they don't screw up 3. Anyways, I had trouble running my messengers like xfire, and what not. I also had trouble running my older games like fallout, baulders gate, age of empires, you kno the really old games. Not quite as old as the original snake but still quite old.

For those of you that don't know the first game that was ever distributed was a snake like game that you played on the tv. it was 2 play and you had to eat the other snake. Eh. Fun though.

Actually, there are some programs out there that still use 16 bit on their install. Thought it worth mentioning.

VirtualPC 2007, by Microsoft, free, works best with Windows OSes as guests but can run some others (just doesn't like Linux distros), fairly lightweight but limited features

VirtualPC works with Unbuntu just fine. There are some tweaks that you have to do to get it to run but it works. Yes, VMWare is big, but if you have the hardware it runs fine.

Haven't tried Virtual Box, sounds pretty cool, I'll install Ubuntu on this under it on the sig rig.

VirtualPC works with Unbuntu just fine. There are some tweaks that you have to do to get it to run but it works.

I would say if you're required to do anything so that you can "get it to run" then it's not "just fine." But that's just my opinion... If I know I need to do some testing of Windows-based OSes, VPC2007 works "just fine," but if I need to do Linux or anything based on *nix in some way, shape, or form throughout history, I'll use VirtualBox anyday and twice on... well, wait a second... it is Sunday... ;)

Back