Vista 32bit or 64bit?

Fayt19

Limp Gawd
I have Home preimium 32 bit and i ordered the 64bit version because my CPU is a 64 bit so you would think it runs better right? Well i just got the 64bit version and now idk if its such a good idea. I hear 64 bit isnt good at all is this true?

This topic has been convered ad nauseum on these boards, so a simple search will turn up more than you'd care to read. Everyone's system is different. That being said, no one can answer this question fully, but you. Check your hardware and software for compatibility issues and driver availability. Most drivers I've seen have both flavors available, but don't take my word for it.

Personally I don't see a reason not to go 64 bit. All drivers for any product will need to be 64bit compatible to be WHQL certified.

Personally I don't see a reason not to go 64 bit. All drivers for any product will need to be 64bit compatible to be WHQL certified.

From what I've been reading, the 64bit version of Vista has the most problems right now with not only driver availability but application compatibility problems. So far it seems to be going the way of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Dan_D is right. Most problems are seen on the 64 bit side. I'm using Ultimate x86 for now...and I will be for a few months. Down the road, I'll contemplate a switch.

After running both on my Merom based laptop, i would say stick with 32bit if you already have it installed. I haven't had any real compatibility issues per say, but it certainly doesn't "feel" any faster/better. All drivers were available minus my card reader (not a big deal). To me, it seems like Vista is just the transformation to 64bit computing. By the time the next OS comes along, bugs will be worked out of 64bit hardware/software issues. This is kind of like a "grace period" for everyone to get their act together and usher in the 64bit era. Despite the fact that most PC's are shipping with 64bit capable CPUs, the majority of OS's that are shipped, and will continue to be shipped, will have 32bit OS's for the sake of software. The adoption of 64bit is going to take time. The process could have been sped up if Microsoft hadn't released Vista in 32bit, but that's neither here nor there now.

Dan_D is right. Most problems are seen on the 64 bit side. I'm using Ultimate x86 for now...and I will be for a few months. Down the road, I'll contemplate a switch.

I'll switch down the road as well as soon as these problems work themselves out.

Again I say go 64 bit.

Why?

1. All software that will get the windows/vista stamp will be 64 bit compatible.

2. The more people we have that use it the more likely we are to get native 64bit apps and GAMES.

That's really the only reasons I care about. ;)

I mean.l. you don't need a high end video card either.. right?

You're ignoring the simple fact that it isn't necessary, and doesn't bring very much of a benefit right now, espcially when there's a greater chance of incompatibility. The software developers don't need more people using 64 bit OSes. Everyone in the industry knows 64 bit computing is the direction we're headed. Just because you use Vista 64, doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone. When the time is right, many of us will make the switch. I wish I had the free time to deal with tons of computer problems...but I don't. I want my system to work, and work well.

Fair statement...

Not that I would say I am having tons of computer problems really. ;)

But anyway...

I guess the statement of are you an advanced user that enjoys being on the razors edge of system stability? Do you get an sense of pride for running a system well that others consider hard to deal with?

(if so your probably running Linux in 64 bit mode emulating a windows OS to play your games anyway. heh.)

That's a good point dijnes brings up. I didn't install Vista on my PC because i just need it to "work". I am however willing to tinker with it on my laptop because i mainly use it for internet type stuff. I'm willing to go through the growing pains of Vista, but i wouldn't dare put it on a PC i needed to "work" everytime i use it. I also gotta admit, the inner geek in me forces me to want to be on the cutting edge, so it was useless to resist Vista :p

I got a gift of Vista Ultimate from a Microsoft employee friend, so I have to install it now because he keeps asking if I have yet. :) I have my OS X box and laptop with XP/Ubuntu for everything but games and solidworks 32-bit so I am going to go with 32-bit for software compatibility. I will probably dual boot 32/64 to test the waters after I get my 32-bit setup running smoothly.

I got a gift of Vista Ultimate from a Microsoft employee friend, so I have to install it now because he keeps asking if I have yet. :) I have my OS X box and laptop with XP/Ubuntu for everything but games and solidworks 32-bit so I am going to go with 32-bit for software compatibility. I will probably dual boot 32/64 to test the waters after I get my 32-bit setup running smoothly.

And with that I'll give the same advice I've given umpteen times now:

Don't use the key to install Vista, you don't need it for the initial "setup and testing" period, whatever that means to you.

You do not need to input the key to get Vista installed. Click No when it asks for the key, click No on the popup that appears, and continue. On the next screen, choose the edition you're wanting to "set up and test" and go from there. It will give you 30 days as a "grace period" to confirm it works, that you're happy with it, that the hardware is supported, the software, etc.

Don't use that key you have and don't activate it if you do unless absolutely sure things are working fine for you.

Doing this saves you (and others) a lot of hassles in the long run. If you have a legit Product Key you're not ripping anyone off, you're just putting the grace period to good use before tying the key to the hardware in question.

Hope this helps...

I'm using Vista 64 bit ultimate.

The important question you should ask yourself is

1. Do the programs, games and other stuff i use my pc for will work on Vista 64 bit ?

For me all the stuff i use do.

Not only that but 64 bit vista comes with all the better security features which the 32 bit variant lacks compared to.

Some programs that are 64 bit may also perform better.

32bit programs can run on the 64 bit Vista. Half of my programs are x86 and they work just fine ;)

Some games i heard have lower fps compared to playing on XP, but the games i've played so far all work so it's ok for me :/ with time they will iron out better drivers.

Make sure to check whether your hardware such as motherboard, graphics card, and soun card have 64 bit vista drivers..... Even my discontinued netgear rp614 router works with vista, i can network between my xp 2nd pc with my new vista pc :] Creative Audigy 2 Zs also have working Vista 64 bit drivers, though i think their missing some features i'm not sure what, so you had better check if your ok with that first.

32 bit vista just means that it has more software compatibility with current and older software.

Vista 64 bit only does 64bit and 32 bit, it doesn't do 16 bit..... but the 32 bit vista does....

I suggest you google up for the compatibility list for program that currently support Vista, and decide for yourself if it works.

If you don't think your ready for it yet that is fine and dandy, but it works nice for me and i get all the neat features and i luv the new Aero :D

Supported drivers are the most important... if you have the drivers most 32 bit apps will work in 64 bit vista.

Back