Vista 32 or 64?

Calis

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, Im building a new computer this week:

9800gtx
q9450
4gb of ram etc

i am having trouble deciding on an operating system. I am weighing up between Vista Home Premium 32 and Vista Home Premium 64.

I do alot of heavy photoshop, illustrator, flash, indesign. As well as 3d Studio Max, Cinema 4d and Maya (as well as others such as lightwave)

I realise that 32 bit will run 4gb of ram just fine, but i may end up putting more in in the future.

I see alot of people recommending 64 bit. Can anyone list me some reasons that explain the advantages of 64 bit?

Thankyou very much for any help!

go with the 64bit version, that is a no brainer.

one of the advantages you would get with the 64bit version would be that u actually will be able to use all of your 4GB of RAM

32-bit won't be able to use the full 4GB RAM, due to overheads from the graphics card and other reserved addresses; about 3.3GB is common. So you'll get access to all the RAM with 64-bit. 64-bit software is somewhat thin on the ground, but I wouldn't be surprised if high-end software like the software you describe has 64-bit executables, and looking it up.. 3ds Max does, for example. These programs can both use more memory than 32-bit programs (usually limited to 2GB per process), and can potentially be faster.

Since 64-bit Windows runs 99% of 32-bit programs fine anyway (the exceptions are mostly system utilities and such, which generally have 64-bit versions), there's few reasons not to get it.

Use of as much memory as you choose to use is the big one, but native support for 64-bit apps (if any show up) is another. Basically, on a new install, no reason not to go 64-bit unless you have a piece of legacy hardware that you must use that doesn't have a 64-bit driver (printer or scanner or something).

Cool, thanks guys. I was leaning towards 64 bit anyway, keep the posts coming, im interested in the differences!

The biggest issue is drivers. Just make sure that you have good 64bit drivers for your hardware and you should be fine. Any relatively new or decent hardware this shouldn't be an issue.

Seriously same friggin threads every week in here Can we make a sticky yet

The biggest issue is drivers. Just make sure that you have good 64bit drivers for your hardware and you should be fine. Any relatively new or decent hardware this shouldn't be an issue.

Really, this is almost non-issue anymore. There aren't that many products that don't have x64 drivers. IMO, there's no reason NOT to go to 64 unless you have something you specifically KNOW will not work.

Seriously same friggin threads every week in here Can we make a sticky yet

I don't understand why people get in a roar about the same questions being asked. This is a message board, not a knowledge base. If only unique questions were asked there wouldn't be many message boards.

Setup a wiki for a knowledge base. Message boards are for messages, no matter how many times the question has been asked.

You're going to see repeat questions, as there is nothing anyone can do about that. I think the frustration part is that no one bothers to search before posting a question that's been asked a million times. No one wants to try and read up on anything on their own anymore.

What really gets me, even more so than the same questions over and over, is how people create a post asking a question for something that only they can decide for themselves. No idea how or why that happens.

You're going to see repeat questions, as there is nothing anyone can do about that. I think the frustration part is that no one bothers to search before posting a question that's been asked a million times. No one wants to try and read up on anything on their own anymore.

What really gets me, even more so than the same questions over and over, is how people create a post asking a question for something that only they can decide for themselves. No idea how or why that happens.

cuz, they don't that how to use the "search" nfunction :rolleyes: :D

"vista 32 vs vista 64". Search results, over 5000, in the first 10 pages there is nothing that relates directly to the question. Just random threads.

"vista 32 vs vista 64". Search results, over 5000, in the first 10 pages there is nothing that relates directly to the question. Just random threads.
That's because it is a very vague question, but the answer is always the same. If you have the system for it, and no unique application incompatibilities, there's no reason not to go for it.

As I said above, it isn't something that random people on a forum board can decide for you. It is your system, running your software on your hardware, and therefore, should be your decision, which comes with a little time and effort on your part to make sure you have drivers ready for all your hardware.

Back