Visiontek Mystery boxes are back 2023

Normally I'm pretty happy with these but this year was pretty meh, some of it quite literally looks like it was taken out of the dumpster.
Bought the full range, so 1x$50, 2x$20, 2x$10, and 5x$5

16GB ddr4 3000 16-18-18-36 with giant heat spreaders to make them incompatible with many heatsinks
Heavy duty 120GB usb3 flash drive
An active DisplayPort to DVI adapter (would maybe be useful 5+ years ago when I had monitors that still had DVI)
A VT80 usb to 4k adapter (basically a usb dock but it only has an DisplayPort output)
A datavault35
A 3 pack of usb-c to lightning adapters
A webcam (looks like a VTWC30)
A uv phone sanitizer (this has a speaker built into it, it tries to speak to you and I cannot understand a word it is saying because the speaker is that blown out and cheap)
A soundcube speaker, already have one of these with a slightly different strap
A molex powered 4xUSB3 pcie 1x expansion card
and a "5 device charging station" that looks like the box was in the trash, has tape all over it and is quite damaged. Again 2nd one I have.

Really missing the days these mystery boxes were exclusively GPUs, at least some cheap $5 AGP gpu was interesting. Even a year or two ago when I got a bunch of docks was nice, actually using the VT2000 i got for my work machine, didn't even get the VT7000 like many did. In I believe 2019, I got a 1050ti, only one of the 75w max models as it didnt have external power input, but even if they sent those out today they still go for >$60 on ebay.

Overall a pretty bad pull on this one, the only things that are somewhat useful are the flash drive, the ram, and optimistically the usb expansion card, otherwise its pretty generic trash, I'm not even sure what to consider the $50 box...

Normally I'm pretty happy with these but this year was pretty meh, some of it quite literally looks like it was taken out of the dumpster.
Bought the full range, so 1x$50, 2x$20, 2x$10, and 5x$5

16GB ddr4 3000 16-18-18-36 with giant heat spreaders to make them incompatible with many heatsinks
Heavy duty 120GB usb3 flash drive
An active DisplayPort to DVI adapter (would maybe be useful 5+ years ago when I had monitors that still had DVI)
A VT80 usb to 4k adapter (basically a usb dock but it only has an DisplayPort output)
A datavault35
A 3 pack of usb-c to lightning adapters
A webcam (looks like a VTWC30)
A uv phone sanitizer (this has a speaker built into it, it tries to speak to you and I cannot understand a word it is saying because the speaker is that blown out and cheap)
A soundcube speaker, already have one of these with a slightly different strap
A molex powered 4xUSB3 pcie 1x expansion card
and a "5 device charging station" that looks like the box was in the trash, has tape all over it and is quite damaged. Again 2nd one I have.

Really missing the days these mystery boxes were exclusively GPUs, at least some cheap $5 AGP gpu was interesting. Even a year or two ago when I got a bunch of docks was nice, actually using the VT2000 i got for my work machine, didn't even get the VT7000 like many did. In I believe 2019, I got a 1050ti, only one of the 75w max models as it didnt have external power input, but even if they sent those out today they still go for >$60 on ebay.

Overall a pretty bad pull on this one, the only things that are somewhat useful are the flash drive, the ram, and optimistically the usb expansion card, otherwise its pretty generic trash, I'm not even sure what to consider the $50 box...
I actually could use that dp to dvi if it's dual link as I only have one for my wfp3007 and it wouldn't hurt to have a spare. (y) I could also use the datavault and usb-c to lightning adapters (if they work). I have a UPS account and can send you a prepaid label too to make it easier. Just let me know. (y)

I actually could use that dp to dvi if it's dual link as I only have one for my wfp3007 and it wouldn't hurt to have a spare. (y) I could also use the datavault and usb-c to lightning adapters (if they work). I have a UPS account and can send you a prepaid label too to make it easier. Just let me know. (y)
Sadly visiontek didn't even have the courtesy to send a DP-DVI dual link adapter, the specific model I have is this https://visiontek.com/collections/all/products/displayport-to-sl-dvi-d-active-adapter-m-f-1
Regarding the USB-c to lightning, hopefully they work, I mean lightning is more or less just a different usb port so shouldn't be much to go wrong. That being said, I don't have a device to test them with, so all yours.
And yeah datavault is yours as well, I don't need things taking up more space, and can always 3d print something better if I need it.
Let me know what if you still want anything!

Reactions: erek
like this
Surprise use case for those USB-C docks! I run an unRaid home server. I have a virtual machine to which I normally pass through most of the host machine's motherboard IO. Instead I can free that up and only pass through the USB-C port and now I can have external monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc with just one iommu pass-through.

my package was supposed to arrive today, but got delayed until Tuesday

Surprise use case for those USB-C docks! I run an unRaid home server. I have a virtual machine to which I normally pass through most of the host machine's motherboard IO. Instead I can free that up and only pass through the USB-C port and now I can have external monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc with just one iommu pass-through.
I actually like having a couple USB-C docks for my steamdeck, keep smaller ones in different bags, the larger dock out at home.

That 7750 might be pretty handy since it doesn't require any power connectors. And if it's the one with 6x mini-dp, that's pretty unique on its own. (y)
I hoped that it was when I opened it. But it’s a low profile mini variant. It has a full height bracket with it. But I’m thinking of sticking it in a cheap Dell SFF for some of the old games

I gave in to temptation and bought a single $50 box.

I got two items.

- One Data Vault 3S. No idea what I am going to do with this junk. Visiontek has even marked it down to $5 if you were to try to buy one. Goodwill maybe?

- One VT7000 Docking Station. I sure got my moneys worth with this, but again, I have no idea what I'd use it for. I have no use for a docking station at home. Maybe I'll bring it to work and replace the shitty ancient one I have there.

I actually like having a couple USB-C docks for my steamdeck, keep smaller ones in different bags, the larger dock out at home.
Yep! I have the official dock which I think will turn into my living room dock. I don't need all these ports for my virtual machine. So this might just give me the opportunity to daily drive the thing as my personal desktop. Maybe.

Bought a $5 and a $20

Ended up with one of those junk data vault things, one of the 5 device charging stations, and a VT1000 dock.

The data vault is going in the trash. The 5 device charging station is cheap plastic junk, but the actual charger is nice, so I kept it for charging devices in the living room.

The VT1000 dock is decent, and since my wife is starting a new job where she will be working from home 2-3 days per week (and transporting her laptop back and forth), I used it to organize her workstation.

All in all, for $25 I ended up with a decent dock, and was going to purchase her a dock soon anyway. So, it worked out.

$50 and $20

VT2000 dock (meh but still more than $50)
500gb SATA 2.5" SSD (not too bad and again more than $20)
And of course, data vault...I have a few drives sitting on my desk. MIGHT be useful, probably not.

Sad I didn't get a video card or a VT2000 but no overly disappointed.

I was strongly tempted by these last year but resisted. Trying to do the same this year. So far seems like most of the stuff is not anything I could get much use out of... unless I got lucky with DDR4 or an SSD. Dock or GPU would probably just add to my junk pile unless I could sell them inexpensively and recoup the box costs.

Surprisingly, the crappiest items out of the bunch (datavaults) would probably be the most useful for me :ROFLMAO:

Seems like $50 you get a video card or docking station. $20 maybe ssd. Lower than $20 throwaway junk.

Surprisingly, the crappiest items out of the bunch (datavaults) would probably be the most useful for me :ROFLMAO:
I bought one of these and love it. I keep it in my backpack. Doesn't solve full size drive storage though. That could be done with any drawer though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SYPYH5M?psc=1
1670381961447.png
1670381984363.png

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: xx0xx
like this
I have to ask, why carry nvme drives loose like that around?
Only one of them is an nvme. I have a couple usb enclosures I keep in my backpack as well. They are next to useless and I have the room in that thing so why not. I have so many of these damn things I'm more likely to find a use case at work or a friend's house or whatever than for any of my personal uses.

For anyone who received the phone sanitizer: If you are a DIY sort and want to make a wireless charging project I found this hot glued inside the case.

Edit: it works ok on my s22 Ultra but my Pixel 4 XL will connect but not charge. And it is really picky and often won't even connect and just flash all the lights. Maybe the distance of the coil needs to be tuned?
5KEeUxG8RcFRU29396tSn4yNw=w597-h1278-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
For anyone who received the phone sanitizer: If you are a DIY sort and want to make a wireless charging project I found this hot glued inside the case.

Edit: it works ok on my s22 Ultra but my Pixel 4 XL will connect but not charge. And it is really picky and often won't even connect and just flash all the lights. Maybe the distance of the coil needs to be tuned?
View attachment 535876
Lttstore.com lol

Maybe Visiontek should simply ship their mystery box customers a pound of sand?

Or perhaps they should just have every team member take turns taking a dump in a box. Then, ship the box of excrement with a picture of the team member(s) inside.

Or, to make things more interesting, put a sealed-box with an RTX 3070 underneath the piles of excrement and a note at the top stating what each team member ate for breakfast that day.

The guy who runs Visiontek is a genius, pure and simple.

He sells items ($50 a box) that were returned/restocked/broken/PCI GPUs/accessories like cables, etc. and people pay for it thinking they are going to strike a killer deal. The owner of Visiontek is basically having YOU pay for him to get rid of his ewaste.

Look, I get the idea of "mystery box" and the excitement of getting something cool.

I like to read Asimov's Science Fiction magazine. It's like $48 for a yearly subscription fee and in the back of each magazine they have little postcards that you fill out if you want to get a "mystery box" of Asimov's Science Fiction Value Pack (8 magazines) for $13. So basically you get a "mystery box" of 8 back issues so it's a cool surprise when it arrives because you never know if you're going to get an issue from 2003 or 2013.

But this Visiontek "deal" is basically a giant scam and you guys keep falling for it thinking you're going to score a GeForce RTX 4090 for $50.

Last edited:
The guy who runs Visiontek is a genius, pure and simple.

He sells items ($50 a box) that were returned/restocked/broken/PCI GPUs/accessories like cables, etc. and people pay for it thinking they are going to strike a killer deal. The owner of Visiontek is basically having YOU pay for him to get rid of his ewaste.

Look, I get the idea of "mystery box" and the excitement of getting something cool.

I like to read Asimov's Science Fiction magazine. It's like $35 for a yearly subscription fee and in the back of each magazine they have little postcards that you fill out if you want to get a "mystery box" of Asimov's Science Fiction Value Pack (8 magazines). So basically you get a "mystery box" of 8 back issues so it's a cool surprise when it arrives because you never know if you're going to get an issue from 2003 or 2013.

But this Visiontek "deal" is basically a giant scam and you guys keep falling for it thinking you're going to score a GeForce RTX 4090 for $50.
And yet every year we see the same people buying them.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
Anyone have a docking station with a card reader they dont want? I need a card reader for my desktop that I can use with my 3d printer.

What I'm surprised by is that VisionTek does way more than I thought. Going through there website and I had no idea!

Back