Visiontek Mystery Box ( $5, $10, $20, $50 *Premium GPU?* )

Well that sucked. 1x $50, 2x $20, 1x $10

I got the following:

Thunderbolt3 to dual displayport adapter (new)
VT1000 dock (refurb, slightly dirty)
VT200 dock (new?)
2x 4gb DDR3 1600 (new)
hot garbage pitbull speaker (refurb? appears to have dirt on it and some wear).

:wacky: Oh well, last time I do that. Figured this would be a "fun" way to get a janky AGP/PCI or low-end PCIe GPU for testing my retro systems. Lesson learned.
I'm sure if you ask nicely someone here may be willing to give you a good deal on the agp/pic gpu they got

I would have been happy with pretty much any RAM or SSD or obscure low end or old video card, but just got a dock and speaker instead for $50

16GB DDR4 and a portable non-bluetooth speaker $50 box.

20211211_142542.jpg

I placed a few orders and more came in. I got the same DDR4 16GB RAM kit (2 x 8GB) and speaker as well.
The RAM timings are 19-19-19-43 at 2666 Mhz at 1.2V
There is no XMP setting. It runs these timings at 2666 by default.
Thaiphoon Burner says that it is some sort of Hynix. I have not kept up with memory ICs so not sure what it is. This is what is specifically says: H5AN8G8N?[F/J]R-VKC
edit: on my Ryzen X570 board it is really running at 20-19-19-43-62-1T per cpu-z

Screenshot:
Snap128202153043PM.png

Slowly going through my goodies to figure out if stuff works.

Using of the 1 of the 5 Lightning cables in the truck. Had taken the one out of it a few months ago to replace one in the house that broke. Seems to be of pretty good quality.

5 device charger brick can actually output a total of 8A and up to 3A for a port. Wife bought some LED string lights for her makeup vanity. Specifies 3A per string so that’s a win. Not sure what to do with the big tray for it but maybe I’ll figure something out.

The HD60 usb hdmi device capture seems to function. Took a bit to figure out why it wasn’t but seems newer OBS version than what included instructions needed a specific audio setting enabled for it to work. Don’t have a long-term plan for it but a few possibilities.

Think I may have mentioned my Pitbull Speaker does work when it’s plugged in but if the battery is swollen I don’t think I’d want to keep it plugged in constantly. So maybe this week I’ll see if I can safely disassemble and take a look.

If you got all that in the same $50 box you were the real winner. I got the ram and speaker in mine.

No kidding, I got a total of 5 items for 4 boxes.

2 of the 5 were a well used pitbull speaker and a dock with no power adapter or connection cable. Wish I had taken a pic of the pitbull speaker when I got it - I wiped it off before trying to use it (it does work though). No joke, actual dirt/crud crusted on the buttons and fingerprints all over it. Almost like someone had used it for a year then sent it back.

No kidding, I got a total of 5 items for 4 boxes.

2 of the 5 were a well used pitbull speaker and a dock with no power adapter or connection cable. Wish I had taken a pic of the pitbull speaker when I got it - I wiped it off before trying to use it (it does work though). No joke, actual dirt/crud crusted on the buttons and fingerprints all over it. Almost like someone had used it for a year then sent it back.

Seems like you may have gotten the only Pitbull to ever sale. :-D. Weird about the dock not having cables. Even the stuff of mine that was presumably used had new in packaging cables included.

"*Products included are from open box, like-new items to fully reconditioned products. VisionTek's refurbished products are the source for the best deals on tech gear. Refurbished products are all tested and verified functional by Tek Support."

^ This is the funniest thing as it was on every Mystery Box product page LOL!

"*Products included are from open box, like-new items to fully reconditioned products. VisionTek's refurbished products are the source for the best deals on tech gear. Refurbished products are all tested and verified functional by Tek Support."

^ This is the funniest thing as it was on every Mystery Box product page LOL!
What's so funny? It doesn't say when the parts were tested :D

The Bluetooth speaker has some quirks. Regardless of player, some flac files break it after a second of playback. It disconnects and you have to put it back into connection mode. The same will happen if I play a video on brave, but it works in chrome.

16GB DDR4 and a portable non-bluetooth speaker $50 box.

View attachment 420950
I got the exact same thing in the $50 box.

Edit for comment.

The RAM and speaker are not worth $50 - no warranty on the RAM. Speaker is garbage. I think mine's already been thrown at someone as there is a gouge on the bottom. I'll probably use it to prank someone.

With a GTX 660 working, or a similar GFX card it would've been a good deal.

Last edited:
I got the exact same thing in the $50 box.

With a GTX 660 working, or a similar GFX card it would've been a good deal.

Well yea man, any time they're doing a grab-bag sourced from somebody's warehouse, you should get in early, as they are trying to build hype; nobody here can tell you the exact rules behind filling Grab Bags, but if they are anything like loot boxes, they start off big early to hook you!

The reason they reopen is to hook idiots to take the very last of the chaff for twice what it's worth

All right everyone, in for a penny in for a pound. I bought a second full stack round when the $50 box came back in stock. That means 1 $50 box, 2 $20 boxes, 2 $10 boxes, and 5 $5 boxes. Here is the list stuff I got, far more useful and interesting to me this time. Total cost was $172.48 including shipping and no tax (in Oregon).
Three... 4GB Sticks of ddr3
A VT200 portable dock
A VT2000 USBC dock
A Visiontek "candy board" mini bluetooth keyboard with tiny trackpad
A VTWC20 1080p webcam
The legendary Pitbull speaker
A 6 inch lightning cable
A probably 3 foot lightning cable

A PCI 8400gs 256MB DDR2
A 4650 512MB DDR2 with WOW trial disc
A 3870 512MB
A 2900xt not sure of ram yet, hope it's GDDR4 because that only lasted a couple generations and ATI only

The ddr3 is kind of a joke, 3 sticks... really? Might have been some shenanigans as I got two packs of ddr3, one came with 2 sticks and the one that came with 1 stick had a ripped label. I do happen to have an x58 system, but still kind of a joke.

Finishing off my visiontek dock collection with the VT200, VT2000, and the VT4000 I got in my first batch.

The bluetooth candy board is quite nice for remote controlling a PC if it works well.

1080P webcam is nice to have. Never bothered buying a webcam even during the pandemic, will be nice to have on hand.

I mean lol to the lightning cables. Guess I'll give them to my mom when I see her next, only one in the family that uses an iphone.

Actually got some interesting old GPUs this round which makes me happy, that's what I expected out of the Visiontek mystery boxes. Got a 1050ti last year or the year before which was quite cool, didn't expect that this year for obvious reasons.

Just got it today and haven't tested anything yet, hope it all works. Overall, some useful things in this batch, some interesting ones, and some that are worthless.

Lol, little less disappointed buying the $20 one then. Got the same crap, but even more useless stick of 8gb ddr3. Enough buying VT's e-waste for me.
That mem is still good for $20 shipped on here, so you can still get most of your money back. (y)

Back