Visiontek denies warranties to modders

~El~Jefe~

Limp Gawd
I bought the Visiontek 3870. It is unopened on my computer desk. I called up today Visiontek's technical support and asked them about warranties in the light of aftermarket and enthusiast cooling.

I was told at first that any modification that damages the product voids the warranty. I told them that this makes sense. I was then asked to be put on hold in order that the technician be able to check his answer that he gave me. After a minute, he came back on and told me that any modification of the card voids the warranty. Any removal of a heatsink voids the warranty.

I told him if he understands that the warranty as written clearly states that "damages by modification" void warranty and that modification without causing damage does not void the warranty, nor is mentioned at all within the warranty information. He said in a pressured tone that removing the heatsink will void the warranty. I told him that this means the visiontek's "wonderful" warranty is a lie and that their warranty information is clearly a lie.

So, what do you all think? I for one work in the electronic selling business as a part time job for a few years now. I know that modification of a product does not void warranty so long as the modification cannot be proven to have caused the defect or damage.

To the intelligent eye, it looks like the warranty in the link below is clear in its ommision of the enthusiast attempts to watercool or silently cool their high end video cards. It is saying that any damages done in using programs like Riva tuner, or putting on aftermarket coolers like the S1 Accelero, will void the warranty. It does say, in any way, that modification voids warranties. It does not say that tampering voids the warranty. It does not say that using aftermarket cooling products void warranty. It could but it does not. If it did, it would alienate 1/3 or more of their enthusiast marketshare.

There are some simple and overly straightforward people who feel that the terms like "sole discretion" "not limited to the following" "sole judgement" actually act like a blanket statement to give complete immunity to a company for honouring a warranty claim that is questionable in their view. This is not the case and is not ever upheld in a court. Blanket statements do not count in favor of manufacturers in order to protect the end user's rights.

Anyways, my main point in writing this is to reveal how shitty the beloved Visiontek customer service is. Bottom line: buy an nvidia 8800GT card from a company that supports you in your hobby of modding. There are hardly any mods out there for under 30 dollars that do not best the crappy cooling answers ATI AIB partners put out. Yet, you would be voiding the warranty in removing them it seems.

(really, if you wanted to, you could fight them and win, but who bothers to or wants to start off on that foot???)

I am considering returning it. I am going to write an email to them about the severe discrepency between their written warranty and their technical support management.

I dont see the problem.. hasn't it always been that way? If I manufactured a product and gave it a warranty I'd void it if someone modified the hardware in any way. Anything from a bump to an improper connection of the GPU -> heatsink could cause the hardware to go AWOL.

With that said.. its not impossible to remove and add your own cooling as long as you can properly replace the factory back to the way it was when you originally purchased it.

This is pretty common and you can't be surprised really just think how many problems people have are caused because of user error. I had a guy come in the shop I used to work at cause his HD wasn't working. Apparently he thought extending the ribbon cable with just duct tape would work....... Yeah then he called the BBB on us saying it was our fault :rolleyes:

ATi has never had a modder friendly video card distributor AFAIK.

nVidia has a few that specifically say they allow you to do this. If you're into this, it's probably better to just steer clear of everyone else.

I dont see the problem either...You remove the heatsink and you void the warranty. Live with it or return it..:rolleyes:

If some asshat on the phone says it voids warranty and the written legal document says it doesnt, you just dont accept the big banana up the poop chute like that. you dont "live with it"

none of you own a visiontek 3870 who have replied, nor have you have modded a visiontek card, or have dealt with visiontek service, or even read the warranty to which I am referring to.

thanx!

nVidia has a few that specifically say they allow you to do this. If you're into this, it's probably better to just steer clear of everyone else.

I think I am going to take your advice.

I am looking into getting a 8800gt replacement. If it doesnt go well, ill just bet on the redundant stupidity of the company's tech support in both being too lazy to read their warranty as well as too lazy to check for chip cooler modification.

Anyone know off hand which nvidia companies dont care about modding? It is really dumb that any of them do. it is really easy to spot a bad thermal paste and mod job. also, aftermarket coolers tend to INCREASE the lifespan of electronics. Modders normally arent morons and are really into their pc's (and not blowing 300 dollars for nothing)

I think I am going to take your advice.

I am looking into getting a 8800gt replacement. If it doesnt go well, ill just bet on the redundant stupidity of the company's tech support in both being too lazy to read their warranty as well as too lazy to check for chip cooler modification.

Anyone know off hand which nvidia companies dont care about modding? It is really dumb that any of them do. it is really easy to spot a bad thermal paste and mod job. also, aftermarket coolers tend to INCREASE the lifespan of electronics. Modders normally arent morons and are really into their pc's (and not blowing 300 dollars for nothing)

XFX and EVGA both are modder friendly (though voltmodding may void a warranty). BFG might also look the other way, haven't dealt with them for awhile.

Modders normally arent morons and are really into their pc's (and not blowing 300 dollars for nothing)

You'd be suprised. Have you ever seen the motherboards at your local Frys? 90% of them have returned stickers on them.

Well that sucks. It wouldn't stop me from replacing the heatsink with something else, but I guess I would have to leave the ram out of it because it's apparently fairly difficult to remove the ramsinks after they're on.

hm

i was told that you can even remove glue thats permanent without messing up the card.

shrugs?

what about though those press on jobbies? I am guessing youd get the card hot, use a lil blow dryer effect, and smoosh them off?

I just browsed over visionteks warranty terms and i didnt see anywhere that it said you can modify the cards and not void the warranty.

The provisions of this warranty shall not apply if, in VisionTek's sole judgment, the product has been subjected to incidental damage including but not limited to the following:
Damaged while being installed
Damaged by software or hardware by someone other than VisionTek or by motherboard incompatibility/design
Damaged by tampering, user error, disaster, misuse, neglect, abuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by an unauthorized technician that in any way affects its performance or reliability.

I assume this is what your going on saying they allow you to mod thier cards and keep your warranty. Problem is its a pretty vague statement and nowhere in their warranty terms does it say you CAN mod and keep your warranty.

When the only mention of modding in the warranty terms talks about voiding your warranty i wouldnt assume its OK to mod it.

it does look like you can get a warranty claimed and yet you still had actually modded the heatsink at some point. yet the tech gimp was made to say no after I was put on hold and he had first told me Yes.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's like being on a date and saying you can do whatever you want with a girl except get her pregnant. you stick a pencil up her ass. curious. not exactly defined there.

even if you remove your heatsink, they really can't tell. Unless you killed it by damaging the chips, I don't see how this can be a problem

Hey, that brings up the best point of all!

sneaky modding. Hm. Some say it is obvious when you do. I never knew why "they" say that. is the goop thats specialized? some screw that snaps? how could one ever tell?

person buys your card - person take of heat sink - - person attaches heatsink with no thermal paste

card fries

whos fualt is this?

i would do this with my own company, you modified MY product, why should i be responsible for it any longer?
I understand that it would be nice for me to cover for your potential screw ups, and the possible cost of replacement vs profit made could be greater, but it is a risky chance, same reason store charge restocking fee;s now because of things like this.

Don't buy a BFG 8800GT if you plan to replace the HSF and are worried about the warranty. I asked them and got the same response regarding the warranty. They also said it's ok if the card gets up to 85 degrees. I don't buy that and will probably take the chance and replace mine soon. I'll just have to be very gentle ;)

His point is that the warranty says nothing about modded products that become defective due to no err of the mod.

The warranty states "damage caused by;" the argument is that it does not say modding without causing damage voids the warranty, yet they claim it does over the phone. At least argue about the same thing.

His point is that the warranty says nothing about modded products that become defective due to no err of the mod.

The warranty states "damage caused by;" the argument is that it does not say modding without causing damage voids the warranty, yet they claim it does over the phone. At least argue about the same thing.

That point works both ways. While it dont say you cant safely mod your card it also dont say you can. Unfortunately though its visiontek that gets to define their meaning not the consumer.

From my experience Asus doesn't mind. When I RMA'd my x800 xl a few weeks ago, they required simply that the card be returned with stock cooling, and that any card returned with aftermarket cooling will be rejected.

At least I take that to mean that they don't care if you use aftermarket cooling :confused:

Everytime I get close to buying two 3870's for CF-X,I then remember threads like this one,and all the others where ATI owners are complaining about shitty rma service,and just plain shitty after sale support,questionable warranties,etc...

Everytime I get close to buying two 3870's for CF-X,I then remember threads like this one,and all the others where ATI owners are complaining about shitty rma service,and just plain shitty after sale support,questionable warranties,etc...

Its a user modification.. its expected to void the warranty :rolleyes: Nvidia owners complain about bad RMA experiences as well, many of them are on this board.

It's also just El Fifi finding something new to bitch about.

Besides, he can't be crowned Reina de Drama de los [H]ardOCP if the shit doesn't get stirred from time to time.

So, nothing to really concern yourself about, just keep the stock cooling handy if you do need to RMA.

Its really not that bad. There really is nothing "questionable" about this warranty it just seems that since thier terms dont come right out and say "Dont mod our fuckin cards or else" some people take that to mean its OK to mod and turn it into an issue when they are told its not.

Nowhere in the warranty terms does it say or even imply modding is OK under their warranty terms. This really all comes down to people assuming too much.

As far as after sale support just recently a member had an issue with XFX similar to the issue that another had with sapphire the only difference was he wasnt treated like human filth by a mod on a forum.

As others have said, if it bothers you that much buy eVGA, XFX, or OCZ (though I think the OCZ 8800GTX was something of a one time thing, so probably irrelevant).

All three clearly state that aftermarket cooling is allowed under warranty, as is OCing via software, though volt mods and OCing via BIOS flash void the warranty.

Its really not that bad. There really is nothing "questionable" about this warranty it just seems that since thier terms dont come right out and say "Dont mod our fuckin cards or else" some people take that to mean its OK to mod and turn it into an issue when they are told its not.

Nowhere in the warranty terms does it say or even imply modding is OK under their warranty terms. This really all comes down to people assuming too much.

As far as after sale support just recently a member had an issue with XFX similar to the issue that another had with sapphire the only difference was he wasnt treated like human filth by a mod on a forum.

anything that is not written is ok to do with an item so long as it complies with real laws.

they are saying it is ok to mod by not saying it isnt. any court would uphold this. this happens in the world of car modding. car manufacturers are not allowed to deny claims of a modded car where the mod did not directly effect the part that is broken and under warranty.

That point works both ways. While it dont say you cant safely mod your card it also dont say you can. Unfortunately though its visiontek that gets to define their meaning not the consumer.

they do not get to define their meaning. they do not own the legislature or court rulings. they leave out the "any modding voids warranty" because it has been shot down countless times.

The issue is the morons in between, those that do not know laws and legal things that handle your phone conversations and work on your electronics. the legal departments avoid saying "modding at all voids warranty" because it is bogus and holds no water. Irritation and time wasted is the only thing peon levels of techs and managers seem to offer to those who know the law.

As long as you don't touch the card and it fails under THEIR cooling solution, it's warrantied. It's not that hard of a concept to understand. The basics of it is that they released this product to function with said heatsink. Regardless of whether you approve of their temperature range, it's what they guarantee. Once you modify the heatsink, you have gone to YOUR own cooling solution.

This really shouldn't be up for debate as to how and why you warranty products. It's a warranty of the whole package, not just the card. If it was just the card, then they would sell just the card and the heatsinks separately.

I have been told by BFG both ways, you can mod it, but they have the final say on why it failed. I have also been told that once modded, it's done. My last 3 cards, a 6800, a 7800 and an 8800 have all been BFG, before that I had a Visiontek brand. I've modded the 6800 and the 8800 and to the 7800 I added a support bar (it was sagging).

"modding at all voids warranty" because it is bogus and holds no water

Your kdiding right...

so your telling me if you took this to court and said:

"your honor, i took off the heatsink, and put my own heatsink own, applied my own thermale paste, and now the card doesnt work"

the judge is going to tell you:"sorry, YOU broke it,live with it", i just confirmed this with our CEO who runs a law firm in Vegas.

it holds plenty of water

if your card suddenly dies after you made a modification, there is a %99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 chance that it was due to what you did!

if the card dies months later, more chance that it is just the card.

they have to actively prove that damages were done because of your attempt at modifying the unit. otherwise the warranty claim is valid.

people think that they are small in the huge world of business, as if that even exists.

as soon as you buy a product you agree to their terms and conditions, why so many EULA and warrenties are written in such a "lawyer" manner as to leave so many open ends to things to protect the companies ass.

And how can you prove you didnt damage it, can work both ways

as soon as you buy a product you agree to their terms and conditions, why so many EULA and warrenties are written in such a "lawyer" manner as to leave so many open ends to things to protect the companies ass.

And how can you prove you didnt damage it, can work both ways

I love these threads and the countless droves of people who are more than happy of taking it up the ass.

Tell me good sir, how do you prove a negative?

How can you prove I did NOT open a book?

Visiontek claims you broke the warranty. Visiontek must prove that claim. Not vice versa. Visitontek can't say, your heatsink damaged the card without proving that the heatsink damaged the card. Proof. Proof. Proof.

Warranties don't give companies free reign to do whatever they want.

I love these threads and the countless droves of people who are more than happy of taking it up the ass.

Tell me good sir, how do you prove a negative?

How can you prove I did NOT open a book?

Visiontek claims you broke the warranty. Visiontek must prove that claim. Not vice versa. Visitontek can't say, your heatsink damaged the card without proving that the heatsink damaged the card. Proof. Proof. Proof.

Warranties don't give companies free reign to do whatever they want.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. You have to prove to them. Straight From the warranty,

The provisions of this warranty shall not apply if, in VisionTek's sole judgment, the product has been subjected to incidental damage including but not limited to the following:

Again i dont know where you guys get the idea that there are special forces that they have to prove things to but fact is they dont have to prove shit. If your RMA gets denied for those reasons and they send you your card back you can always take them to court but i can promise you if that where to happen right off the bat YOU would be asked to prove you did not break the terms of the warranty not vice versa.

Using a different heatsink is not a "mod" it's using a different heatsink.

I buy a new heatsink for my CPU, install it, I don't say "hey look at this cool MOD I did". Duh...:rolleyes:

edit: a few years ago it seemed like in all but a few extreme cases good customer service was dead and gone, I'm pleased to say that I see some companies have learned that bringing back good customer service is good for business. Maybe the masses are getting tired of being suckers and putting up with poor quality and poor customer service? :D

I'm not happy with how EVGA screwed me out of a "Step Up" that I thought I was going to do about a year ago, but, aside from that, kudos to BFG, XFX, and EVGA for their warranties and customer service.

Now, all we need is more companies like Victorinox and Craftsman which offer practically ulimited no-fault lifetime warranties. In my experience, with both companies, it's been no-questions-asked replace the product free and promptly even if it looks like it's been smashed by a meteor hitting it at 5,000 mph.

Using a different heatsink is not a "mod" it's using a different heatsink.

I buy a new heatsink for my CPU, install it, I don't say "hey look at this cool MOD I did". Duh...:rolleyes:.

Using a different heatsink on a video card IS a mod... :rolleyes: The HSF is not attached to a CPU when you buy it thats a horrible comparison.

The real question is "how are they going to prove you voided the warranty?"

If you slap the original heatsink back on before you send it back, do you really think the underpaid employees working the RMA department are really going to look for signs that you took the heatsink off? I really don't think they are going to go CSI on your ass and use a goddamn microscope and fingerprint kit to figure out if you took off the heatsink.:rolleyes:

I really can't imagine what they would be looking for anyways...:confused:
All you have to do is bolt the thing back on with a piss-poor job of putting on thermal paste. Bingo...looks just like it did after it left the factory.
As long as you don't strip out any of the screws you took out, I imagine you will be fine.
Its a gamble, but the odds are clearly in your favor.

First Sapphire, now Visiontek's turn I supposed :rolleyes: First of all, the original fan is not crappy. @30% fan speed my card won't even reach 50C during idle and @60% it won't reach 65C under load. @60% it is just as loud as my PS3 during game play which is much more quiet than my 360.

dang, that sucks. I bought the futureshop 2 year warranty for my 3870 (it was 229) and i know the techs that verify don't give a shit or don't check. If it doesn't work, you get replacement on the spot.. my friend has gone thru 4 video cards like this (9800pro, x800xl, x1900gt, 8800gt) by paying $299 at the beginning with the 9800pro and paying $40+tax for 2 year extended warranty each time during replacement. So it's a great lease....

You'd be suprised. Have you ever seen the motherboards at your local Frys? 90% of them have returned stickers on them.
What does modding have to do with the amount of returns Fry's gets from ppl not smart enough to find a better deal online...?

Back