VisionTek 4870 or EVGA GTX 260 SSC

mercury529

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,

I wanted to get your input. I recently picked up the VisionTek HD 4870 from Frys. It was the $210 (after MIR before tax) price. It was too good to pass up.

I did however have a question. After tax, the cost of the card was $230. I can get the EVGA GTX 260 SSC for the same price. Which card would you recommend I go with? Are there any benchmarks comparing the two? I do not intend to put any aftermarket cooler on either card, and would only overclock the EVGA if it was easy/reliable to do with EVGA precision overclocking tool.

PSU: Corsair TX 650w
Mobo: Asus P5Q P45 Pro
RAM: 2x2 Corsair 6400 DDR2
CPU: Q6700 or E8400
Monitor: Most likely a FP241VW

I have no intent at this time to run X-Fire (now or any time in the next year). I am more concerned with performance now. If neither card has a distinct advantage over the other, I would lean toward the Radeon because the board does have X-Fire support.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Try looking around the forum just a bit..there is probably quite a few threads that will answer your question. Since you already have the 4870 why not just use it?

The only reason I can think of to go with the 260 is for the additional vram. Only useful if you are gaming at 1920x1200+ with AA cranked.

I'd go with whichever one was the least p.i.t.a.. The performance is pretty much six for one, a half dozen for the other. If I didn't have to mess with a rebate I'd go with the GTX 260 SSC.

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get your input. I recently picked up the VisionTek HD 4870 from Frys. It was the $210 (after MIR before tax) price. It was too good to pass up.

I did however have a question. After tax, the cost of the card was $230. I can get the EVGA GTX 260 SSC for the same price. Which card would you recommend I go with? Are there any benchmarks comparing the two? I do not intend to put any aftermarket cooler on either card, and would only overclock the EVGA if it was easy/reliable to do with EVGA precision overclocking tool.

PSU: Corsair TX 650w
Mobo: Asus P5Q P45 Pro
RAM: 2x2 Corsair 6400 DDR2
CPU: Q6700 or E8400
Monitor: Most likely a FP241VW

I have no intent at this time to run X-Fire (now or any time in the next year). I am more concerned with performance now. If neither card has a distinct advantage over the other, I would lean toward the Radeon because the board does have X-Fire support.

Thanks for any help you can give.

ATI JUST RELEASED A 1 GIG 4870 card, performs better than the 260 models, my experience thus far with my 4870 has been good, no driver issues like with nvidia. You can read about the new one gig 4870 card at anandtech.com.

Ulitmately, whether you want to run two video cards would be the big deciding factor, your motherboard would have to support either SLI for nvidia cards or crossfire for ati cards, if multi cards is not something you plan on doing ( I personally do not recommend multi card systems for a variety of reasons) then go with the best buy.

Thanks for the input guys. I already picked up the HD4870, and I will be picking up the EVGA GTX 260 SSC as well because I was able to get a particularly good deal on it. I will be looking to sell one of them. So I am trying to determine which card is the better one to keep.

Does anyone have the EVGA GTX 260 SSC? If so, what are you feelings on the card? Are you able to push the card harder with the stock cooler using the EVGA overclocking utility? Also, I have been unable to find benchmarks for it. Does anyone know of any sites with benchmarks for it? I did find EVGA GTX 260 FTW Edition benchmarks, but I imagine the 40 mhz overclock does have a reasonable impact on performance.

Thanks for weighing in everyone.

Note:
I will primary run in XP, though I am considering a dual boot. What are the issues with the 260 in Vista? I am unaware.

I had both the HD 4870 and i'm now using an EVGA vanilla GTX 260 that shipped with SSC clocks. I've used both extensively and I would say keep the GTX 260. There's really not much difference, but the extra VRAM is nice and it does run Crysis a little better.

I like the HD 4870 because it might free up more available system RAM I can use for applications. When you're using 32-bit Vista, you need all the available system RAM you can get.

Just run one or the other.

I really wanted a 4870. But they don't fold worth a flip yet. So I went with a 260 OC. Cranked the fan up and set the OC to a conservitive 720 core/ 1500 shader/ 2300 mem. It games, folds and runs cool in my already loud puter room. And my old Coolermaster 550w psu holds it very well.

There are benchs, opinions and OC results all over the net on these class of cards. And it really does not matter if its a OC version or not. Some 260's shoot the moon and others can't get out of the box. But most will offer SSC or better OC's while the ATI cards seem to get bitchy about having the meat thrown at them.

I would favor the EVGA 260 for better temps and better customer service.

you know your motherboard support crossfirex right? This should be a no brainer. If you have a 4870 now, you can upgrade and crossfire it with either a 4850, 4850x2, 4870, 4870x2. And you can do it with different brands.

I am aware the board has X-Fire. As I said in the original post, I really don't forsee picking up another card to run in X-Fire in the near to distant future. I'd be a little weary about running X-Fire with a 650W power supply with the 4870 being as power hungry as it is. I'd be inclined to go with a new single card solution before I would go with X-Fire in most situations.

just run a 4850 with it, the 650 should handle that and you 4870 just fine. Multi-gpu setups are not as problemed as some people want others to believe. People tell others about their experience from having 2 7950gx2 in sli and how it had so many problems. They can't get over the fact that is why there are new cards, new drivers, and new chipsets. Its like saying that cars in the past were a piece of shit, and the new ones will be two.

You know I am just thrilled with my 260GTX. I run it daily @ 751/1536/1236 with my fan at 100%
it will run furmark forever at these settings and never exceed 63C. 3 hours of COD4 free for all gets it up to 43C. The card is a little montster.

All that being said however if I already had a 4870, rather than buy a competing card I would buy another 4870 and run them in X-fire and @ stock speeds and never want for more. If you did ever need a little more it would certainly be available.

I am here to tell you my MSI 260GTX is for real.

aqmk3260gtxrunb-1.jpg

Here is a sample of furmark at my earlier gaming clocks of 726/1508/1203
You will note it never even hit 50

06best.jpg

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8242554

Check the card scores on 3D06.

Still since you have the 1st 4870 I would not consider anything else.

Had you not purchased either yet then I would say it was pretty much a toss up but. I would lean towards
the 260GTX for single only.

Be happy with what you have ... It is great!!!

WZ

I am aware the board has X-Fire. As I said in the original post, I really don't forsee picking up another card to run in X-Fire in the near to distant future. I'd be a little weary about running X-Fire with a 650W power supply with the 4870 being as power hungry as it is. I'd be inclined to go with a new single card solution before I would go with X-Fire in most situations.

what kind of PSU do you have? a good 650watt PSU will handle a pair of crossfired 4870 just fine. While I agree on the single card solutions I don't see ruling out a good upgrade path.

Weld:

Thank you very much for your reply. I actually have both cards. I picked up the HD4870 at the $210 Fry's pricematch price because I figured I could always sell it if I did not want it. The EVGA GTX 260 SSC I have as well because I had a pending order that was finally processed (also a very solid deal). So I am in a position to make a choice (don't have the rest of my parts yet, so holding off on a decision is fine).

Thanks for weighing in.

Valset:

I have the Corsair TX 650. I have seen some pretty intense power draw stats for the VisionTek HD 4870.

Weld:

Thank you very much for your reply. I actually have both cards. I picked up the HD4870 at the $210 Fry's pricematch price because I figured I could always sell it if I did not want it. The EVGA GTX 260 SSC I have as well because I had a pending order that was finally processed (also a very solid deal). So I am in a position to make a choice (don't have the rest of my parts yet, so holding off on a decision is fine).

Thanks for weighing in.

Valset:

I have the Corsair TX 650. I have seen some pretty intense power draw stats for the VisionTek HD 4870.

your fine. a crossfire system uses 350 to 400 watts. a lot of people quote power usages taken from the wall, that makes those numbers into 440 to 625. go look up the tech reports power usage page. the GTX260 are awesome for the price but I don't see it when you have a crossfire board. that just my preference though.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/15 assuming 80% efficiency they are use 360 watts. as you have a good PSU that just a little more then half your rating.

I get that error when I push my 8800gts too far with its OC ;) Other then that no complaints about nvidia

Same, ive owned an 8800GTS 320MB, 8800GTS 512MB, and a GTX 260 and in all 3 instances ive been running Vista64 bit with a series of different drivers and ive never had to get a new drive due to that error. I only do it because each card requires a newer driver to be supported. :)

I know you dont wanna crossfire, but trust me in the future you might just give in to that option, I have an hd 4870 which I got a good deal on as well, I had a gtx 260 but I sold that off when I got the x48 motherboard.

Ram does not matter unless you have a 30inch monitor, that is the only place where more ram seems to kick in. I would keep the hd 4870, it seems to compete pretty damn good in the newer games even with gtx 280 in some games. it depends a lot on your motherboard, they are both good cards, but it is a better option to stick with hd 4870, it just leaves the future options open.

Buying a card while thinking that you will SLI / Crossfire them "down the line" is not a wise choice. Search for crossfire or SLI threads and you will find that most of the time it is much smarter to buy current tech rather than multi-card your old setup.

That said, go for the 260 for superior customer service, superior performance, and lower price.

I just ordered a 260. I didn't think there was much difference between it and the 4870 overall, the 260 just happened to be a bit cheaper when I was ready to order and had free shipping. The cheap 260 also happened to be an EVGA so the possibility of a stepup xmas gift to myself sweetened the deal a bit.

VisionTek 4870. I have one, I couldn't be happier with it. I previously owned a 8800gts 640 and the 4870 blows it away!.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. My situation has actually changed a bit. I jumped on the 30% ebay cashback to pick up a cheap ($220 after cashback) PowerColor Radeon 4870 1 Gig. I am not sure yet whether I want to sell it and stick with the EVGA GTX 260 SSC (returning the VisionTek is easier) or sell the GTX 260. If anyone has input (or may be interested in buying either) let me know.

Thanks again for all the help.

If you are wondering about the power draw, i run crossfire 4870s with a [email protected] and 2 watercooling loops on a corsair 750TX, so the 650tx should handle it fine.

My dilemna is even more complex than yours. I have 2 260s and and 750i ftw on the table, and a rampage + 2 4870s in the rig. I cant decide which setup to keep and which to sell :(

If you are wondering about the power draw, i run crossfire 4870s with a [email protected] and 2 watercooling loops on a corsair 750TX, so the 650tx should handle it fine.

My dilemna is even more complex than yours. I have 2 260s and and 750i ftw on the table, and a rampage + 2 4870s in the rig. I cant decide which setup to keep and which to sell :(

to be honest I don't know. I would probably sell the set up that would bring the most

Tough call. There pretty much neck and neck. I personally own the 4870 and love it. Kinda disappointed with the Crysis performance but I'm not really a big fan of that game (let the flaming begin lol) so i dont care. It runs every other game I own flawlessly.

I guess at this point it depends which games your playing. Also, PhysX may be somewhat of a significant feature in a year or two, depending how many developers show interest in it. Apparently, Blizzard has gone off the record to say that Diablo III and StarCraft II will both be optimized for ATI cards (and possibly DX10.1). Both of these games will be huge and I plan on getting both, so I guess for me its an advantage having an ATI card as well. I hope that ATI finally gets some work done on their alleged HAVOK physics engine, but with all the financial trouble AMD has been having I wouldnt hold my breath.

Also, the standard 260 should be cheaper than the SSC edition so go with that. The SSC edition is for people not smart enough to use EVGA's precession OC tool which is pretty much idiot proof.

Back