Virus, Unable to Login to XP

NOTD665

Gawd
It started as such: I was having general internet wonkiness, so decided to restart. Upon getting back to my login, hitting enter (no password), it attempts to log me in, goes through the motions, and then logs me back off and restarts.

I try in safe mode. Same thing, sans restart.

It's a virus, and it's something related to wsaupdater.exe in system32.

I tried to use the recovery console of the XP disc. It remapped all my drives, of course and when I do a directory listing of the one it /should/ be, it only recognizes the larger of the two partitions on my main drive (74GB Raptor; 10GB Windows Partition and 64GB progrms partition).

So I can't try to rename any of the necessary files, because it won't find a Windows folder, because it won't see my Windows partition.

Argh.

Does the drive look normal from another computer? If you can get it to read normally in another computer I would suggest virus-scanning it form there. From the sounds of it, you might be backing up your files from there too in preparation for a format....

This is why it's a good diea to have something like the BartPE disc handy. You can boot to it and manipulate your Windows partitions.

Try this: instead of hitting Enter because of the lack of password protection (protection is always good!), hit Control, Alt, and Delete twice and you should get a Login window. Try to log in as another user with admin privileges or as Administrator and delete the file.

If this fails, pull the HD and do this from another machine.

Edit: Start a command prompt from the other computer, go into the windows\system32 folder of your drive and do "copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe". Then put the HD back in your computer and follow the rest of the steps in the link.

Edit again: Do you know anyone with a SATA-capable computer? If not, see if you can "rent" a SATA controller from a BB or CC and use it while you work on your HD.

Update:

So, I finally decided to bite the bullet. Added a new HDD, and did a fresh install of XP.

Long story short, I can now see the bad SATA in Windows Explorer.

I tried copying userinit.exe, and renamed the fresh copy to wsaupdater.exe

No luck.

Any more ideas?

hulksterjoe said:
Yea, Have you run a virus scan, you seemed to have do the rest but you dont mention that

Avast Virus Scan and Ad-Aware Malware Scan. ;)

Back