Virus scanner for Linux?

Neocorteqz

2[H]4U
Does a Good free virus scanner exist for linux? i saw an ad for drweb in a linux install or something like that But i could never reach the site.

Not really because virus' aren't really made for linux.

No good virus scanner exists for linux. Because of the permission based setup on Linux, virii don't really exist there. You *do* need to worry about your box getting cracked if it's networked. For that, make sure you keep your patches up to date. I would also recommend installing tripwire and running tools like Nessus or Satan every once in a while.

linux_guru said:
Virus scanners are NOT required for Linux.

Very true, at least at this point in time. Although, virus scanners aren't required for Windows, either, if you know what you're doing.

Ohh I'm not expecting to get a virus, although it seems everytime I check my email, i get another warning that i couldn't dl an attachment cause it conatains one (in windows). I was just wondering if they have them, i wanted to check it out is all.

Thanks for your comments.

I find it rather dangerous that Linux people forget that if Linux was as big a target as Windows, even with it's virus-resistant properties, it could still get infected.

There are tons of people out there, with nothing better to do than write stupid virii for various OS'.

Now, given that file permissions are more strict than in Windows, (and are about to get even more strict, once MAC is fully implemented under Linux), and that Linux does not feature anywhere *near* the same amount of code integration as Windows, it is true that Linux, IMHO, is less likely to get infected. HOWEVER, that's no reason to let your guard down. If you are serious about security, you should still run an A/V client on your Linux server.

I've personally installed clam on a few servers I've setup, without issues. :)

your best virus scanner for linux is the fact that you have linux! so you've already picked it. no one writes viruses for linux. you're safe

Well once it is a problem and a linux virus scanner is actually a marketable product I am sure there will be one. The thing is, getting root access is a lot harder in linux than in windows (assuming the user isn't logged on as root).

obs said:
Well once it is a problem and a linux virus scanner is actually a marketable product I am sure there will be one. The thing is, getting root access is a lot harder in linux than in windows (assuming the user isn't logged on as root).
or has a password that is easy to crack.

You can't use iptables to stop access to certain partitons/directories can you?

Neocorteqz said:

Uh, iptables is a packet filter, not a filesystem security system.

You could mount a partition as read-only, so as to effectively disable any users besides those with root-level priviledges from making changes.

mgars said:
your best virus scanner for linux is the fact that you have linux! so you've already picked it. no one writes viruses for linux. you're safe

Yes and no.

Just because you're running Linux does NOT guarantee that you're immune to social engineering attacks, or even from any type of attack. ALL code has flaws, not just Windows.

I love open-source as much as all of you, but you have to realize that if and when Linux gets as popular as Windows, you will start to see more virus and cracking efforts.

Neocorteqz said:

When logged in, the only thing a user has write directory to is their home directory, and usually the kernel partition isn't even mounted.

obs said:
When logged in, the only thing a user has write directory to is their home directory, and usually the kernel partition isn't even mounted.

/boot is mounted, at least with all of the RedHat releases I've used, including FC 1/2/3.

Josh_B said:
Uh, iptables is a packet filter, not a filesystem security system.

You could mount a partition as read-only, so as to effectively disable any users besides those with root-level priviledges from making changes.
thought you could allow access from certain IP's.

New to linux firewall's, I never even used a firewall in linux till recently.

Neocorteqz said:

Yes, this is exactly what it does. How does this tie in, at all, to which directories somebody's accessing once they get in?

It looks like most of you have missed the point. Virus scanning software is not used on Linux to protect the Linux system, although it does detect the few Linux viruses that are out there; it is used to find and remove viruses on mail and file servers so the viruses cannot damage Windows systems.

teckgood said:
It looks like most of you have missed the point. Virus scanning software is not used on Linux to protect the Linux system, although it does detect the few Linux viruses that are out there; it is used to find and remove viruses on mail and file servers so the viruses cannot damage Windows systems.

That is only CURRENTLY. There's no reason why someone couldn't write a true native Linux virus, however. THAT is the point no one seems to get.

I realize, however, that the poster is most likely looking for a virus scanner for the reasons you mentioned.

Neocorteqz said:

N.P. - sorry to be terse.

Enjoy your new Linux machine.

Back