Virus gives Page Not Found in IE

Rune75

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys... I work for a mom and pop puter store as a tech and Im having some serious virus/trogen problems as of late. I can dial out and connect to various ISPs but I get Page Not Found when going to websites in IE or other browsers and no net connection for any other program. Ive detached the harddrives and virus / spyware scanned the drives via a USB external case. Some of these drives Ive found lots of problems that get fixxed but I still cant find a cause or fix for the problem. Ive also used VX2Finder.exe and CWShredder.exe but to no avail.

Sorry if this was already discussed in a previous thread but I cant find any relavent data in here or google.

Thanx in advance

Has your hosts file been changed in any way?

I think it's in $WINDOWS_ROOT/System32/hosts

I will deffinately check that out when I get to werk in the morning... I have a win98 and winXP puter on my bench for this very problem (of course they could be seperate probs) but I really appreciate the pointer =) I'll post from werk if I notice / fix it with appending the HOSTS file

also you can flush the tcpip dns cache
load a command box and type "ipconfig /flushdns" (no quotes)

good luck

OldMX

search google for something called winsockxpfix. very good utility that resets and reinstalls winsock. I also work at a mom and pop computer store and i use that all the time. I have a very useful tools cd if you want a copy of that.

BillLeeLee said:
Has your hosts file been changed in any way?

I think it's in $WINDOWS_ROOT/System32/hosts

I had the same thing happen on a system i was working on last week and the host file was modified causing the same type of problem.

the location of it is:

$WINDOWS_ROOT\System32\drivers\etc

assuming you are working on a 2000/XP box.

in... ie... you're having problems.

fix them.

*rereads post*
oops other browsers too. try traceroute to another site, like google.com, something you know is up. is your router borken?

unhappy_mage said:
in... ie... you're having problems.

fix them.

*rereads post*
oops other browsers too. try traceroute to another site, like google.com, something you know is up. is your router borken?
Even if it's isn't other browsers, changing browsers isn't always possible, so answering the problem with another browser isn't a good answer. Granted IE has issues, but simply shifting browsers is akin to hiding your head in the sand. Somehow I have managed to run IE for eons and don't get virii and spyware.

Anyways, posting a link to another browser like that usually ends up in IE vs. XZY browser argument, which generally isn't what the thread posted wants or needs...

Back