Virtual Worlds gets $1 Billion in Investments

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Last year was a big year in the bits and bytes real estate program as over $1 billion dollars was spent on games like Second Life and WoW.

Of the $1 billion, $196.8 Million was invested in 33 companies. Significant investors in the space include Redpoint Ventures, Charles River Ventures, Intel, and Rustic Canyon Partners. Media companies are also making sizable investments, including Disney, CBS, Time Warner, and GE/NBC Universal’s Peacock Equity Fund. The remaining $810 million went to two acquisitions: Walt DisneyÕs $700 million acquisition of Club Penguin and IntelÕs $110 million acquisition of 3D virtual worlds graphics technology company Havok.

hmmm...

WoW has over 8 million subscribers, wich means they get well over 1 billion a year in subscriptions alone.

this is a strange press release. Havok is a company who does a lot more in the gaming industry then just supplying technology for mmorpg's.

I think the amount invested in virtual worlds surpasses the 1 billion significantly.

who is "Virtual Worlds Management" anyhow? I can't even find them on google.

WoW has like 8 million subscribers whereas Second Life I probably has very few actual paying people. I bet less than 100k.

Oh, and meant to say that they probably get paid a ton cause they always tout their 4.6 million users or whatever, even though they don't actually play, that just includes all the free accounts that are registered.

Back