Virtual Tour Of Paris Using Unreal Engine 4

I was expecting a Virtual Tour of Paris... removing the word "apartment" from the title even though you mention it in the description is a bit deceptive, that very well could have been an apartment anywhere.

I like how the bed in the bedroom directly faces the dining room table so guests can be entertained.

Unreal Engine 4, the number one engine used by artists to make tech demo's in Unreal Engine 4... not games though that would be stupid.

Crap, all the glass doors confused me. The living room couch faces the bed. A bit more casual I guess.

Unreal Engine 4, the number one engine used by artists to make tech demo's in Unreal Engine 4... not games though that would be stupid.

True. It makes one hell of a visualization tool for architects/designers. I've seen some where the end user can walk around and swap materials (paints, flooring, drapes, etc.).

looked completely static, did I miss something?

Nope. Something kinda neat, technically, but with little bearing on anything. I (and everyone else, I imagine) would have been more impressed with a showing of an older UE game done up in maxed out UE4 insanity. Just an non-playable teaser would have done more than an photo-realistic apartment tour where nothing happens.

Unlikely to see that much detail in a video game. No point when you're probably going to be shooting it up and looking at it for 3.5 seconds.

Seems like they used a damn console controller. :mad:
Methinks you are correct, even though an arthritic great grandmother with palsy could use a console controller better than that. Shame that someone would go through all that work and not bother with the nice, smooth camera curves the same damn engine provides out of the box.

Hmm, I want to say the movement of the camera is intentional. If they would have used a free-roaming camera controlled by a mouse or a scripted camera it would have made the demo look simply like a tour through someone's real apartment. The movement reminds your brain that it is a video game.

As an arch vis artist, it's impressively done. He was better off animating a camera and just rendering it out.

Unlikely to see that much detail in a video game. No point when you're probably going to be shooting it up and looking at it for 3.5 seconds.

If that were truly the case, gaming never would've come as far as it has. And need I remind you that not all games are fast paced twitch shooters anyway.

Xbox One or PS4 owners, that will not look like that on your console. You wouldn't even get 30 fps at 720p. Just saying.

Hmm, I want to say the movement of the camera is intentional. If they would have used a free-roaming camera controlled by a mouse or a scripted camera it would have made the demo look simply like a tour through someone's real apartment. The movement reminds your brain that it is a video game.

The constant screen tearing was enough to remind me that this was a render and not real.

Also, I can tell from some of the pixels, and from playing quite a few games in my time.

There are other kinds of video games than first person shooters you know.

its even better with the oculus dk2, ive been testing it out and you do get a sense of presence when you stand up and walk around its like... whoa... this is the future.

While I really enjoy these graphical, and physics tech demos, It would be nice to see some AI tech demos too.
Admittedly, graphics are a big selling point with me, but that only goes so far. Between photo realist graphics and VR, the only thing left will be AI, and I just do not seem much tech advancing it.

I was just checking if this has already been posted, as I found it on youtube. Pretty damn sweet!

Unfortunately, even though this could be the future of gaming in just a few years, more likely lazy devs catering to lowest common denominator consoles won't invest this much effort in photo-realism though, and we'll still have 900p low reset Xbox One crap as a "standard" seven years from now. :rolleyes:

The Dev's?

Blame planned obsolescence, buddy. Sony and Microsoft both put out systems that they knew would struggle to achieve 1080p/60. They made "systems on the cheap" after expending so much $$$$$ with their last round of systems, neither company was going to re-invent the wheel for this round.

Then the Software Publishers said "we can buy ourselves time by re-releasing all of last-gens games with graphical upgrades", as the dev's now work to make the most of the PS4/Xbone hardware and software.

But don't blindly blame "Lazy Developers"....they're the least of your problems, and most of the dev's that I know work hours most folks would thumb their noses at, regardless of compensation.

Back