Virtual Sound Card

Atragon

Limp Gawd
I've got a weird one, I need software that when run will emulate the presence of a SB16 or better sound card in a Windows Server 2003 box that has no physical sound card.

The reason? To trick VMWare into enabling its virtual audio device for a guest OS (which will be redirected to another system which has a sound card).

The only software I've been able to find is payware that may or may not work, and I don't want to go down that path at all. I'd sooner stuff an old SB Live Value in the box, and I really don't want to do that.

Edit:
The reason why I want to go to all this trouble is as follows, I want to setup a second PC that I can do all my surfing/chatting from, allowing me to reboot as needed on my main rig without dropping offline. The main headaches I've found to this grand scheme are as follows:

1) Video: Embedded video (ie, Youtube) doesn't stream so well under RDP, works better under VNC
2) Audio: VNC doesn't have any mechanism for passing audio, RDP does but it's kind of weak compared to directly outputting to speakers.
3) VMWare won't emulate a sound card for the virtual machine if the host doesn't have a soundcard.

1 is solved by using VNC on high-bandwidth mode
2 is solvable (suboptimally) with RDP, or (really really bad, and doesn't work for any but a single target client) a Y connection on my speakers, or (Unknown) find another software pack that does audio redirection to a remote client PC
3 I'm deadwalled on, I'll give it another try when I get home and can use a non-RDP connection to my server to try software packs with.
3 I'm not sure of in a software sense.

I know this is a little late but I did something similiar to this. I installed an IBM with Windows 2003 with Terminal Services. It has no sound card. I plugged in an SB 16 and installed the drivers. I then removed the card and the sound would still works over the RDP. So as long as it has the drivers installed, sound works.

Good to know, I wonder if there are any external sound cards that might let you install drivers without the device being physically present...

Back