Virtual Reality Users Watch Helplessly as Another User Has In-Game Seizure

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
VR is typically about having fun, but the technology can also be a window into the unnerving. Case in point: a number of VRChat users witnessed someone having a seizure this week, and none of them could do anything about it. Due to full body-tracking tech, the player’s avatar could be seen on the floor convulsing.

A handful of users thought it was funny and kept goofing off, but the majority seemed genuinely concerned for this person's well-being. They ask if he's okay, they ask players with flashing avatars to step back, and when the person is finally able to respond they give them good advice: call for help immediately and take a break.

That's crazy it was caught on film.

In an unrelated note I never knew 'VrChat' existed, but given that video it is exactly what I would have imagined.

Better yet have systems for telemedicine. Maybe an app monitors health as well or instant treatment. Remember the story about digital drugs? People getting high listening to some sonic pattern. Calmative anti-seizure programs could kick in.

In seriousness the tech does offer a lot of interesting possibilities along these lines. OTOH I was doing telemedicine the other day, fiber optics at both ends, the damn sound kept cutting out. A 20 minute visit took an extra hour. I don't know where the fault was though they had to keep resetting at both ends.

In seriousness the tech does offer a lot of interesting possibilities along these lines. OTOH I was doing telemedicine the other day, fiber optics at both ends, the damn sound kept cutting out. A 20 minute visit took an extra hour. I don't know where the fault was though they had to keep resetting at both ends.
Ouch! "Your incision cannot be completed as dialed"

Ok that "chat room" was annoying as all fuck with all those Avatars for everyone. At first I thought the little dayglow Raggity Anne girl was the seizure person, but then it looks like they're actually trying to cause the seizure .

But yeah that "chatroom" with everyone talking over everyone else... this is why I don't like multi-player online games.

Quite an interesting thing to see. Nice to see that most people do have a bit of compassion. Though I agree raggedy Anne probably was trying to trigger another episode.

I’ve seen seizures, and honestly that guy was probably lucky though that 99% of those people weren’t with him. It’s something that you typically just have to let pass, at most get them on their side if I recall rightly.

As an aside why is it that so many YouTube “stars” are fucking so awful at editing or delivering their lines? Prepare your fucking script. Record and read it. We don’t need 30 different cuts for you to say “I recorded a seizure | and at first | I thought it was | a joke but | quickly saw it wasn’t. And | before posting I got | his permission.” Fuck.

As an aside why is it that so many YouTube “stars” are fucking so awful at editing or delivering their lines? Prepare your fucking script. Record and read it. We don’t need 30 different cuts for you to say “I recorded a seizure | and at first | I thought it was | a joke but | quickly saw it wasn’t. And | before posting I got | his permission.” Fuck.

So glad someone else said this besides me thinking it....almost gave me a seizure itself.

Quite an interesting thing to see. Nice to see that most people do have a bit of compassion. Though I agree raggedy Anne probably was trying to trigger another episode.

I’ve seen seizures, and honestly that guy was probably lucky though that 99% of those people weren’t with him. It’s something that you typically just have to let pass, at most get them on their side if I recall rightly.

Immediately noticed that (after the blatant blue theme). Jump cuts within the same sentence. Felt very contrived.

it's a new editing "technique" that people are slowly growing to love... kinda like the overly-autotuned sound... I expect at some point edits will commonly be within the multi-syllable words, or worse...

Back