Virtual Reality Is Hazardous To Your Health

First thing I thought of is if the equipment is okay. Love how everyone can't contain their laughter, including the girl asking if he is okay. "Do you want to keep going?" Kudos goes to mole man in the blue shirt.

Wonder how many times Kyle done this testing all the VR Games/Demos? Noticed he left enough space to "Move about". :p I can't stop laughing at this!

Really no way to avoid this happening if you are standing up and subverting your senses. If you start to fall, all your automatic responses don't work. You can't see yourself falling, you are seeing something else in the headset which may keep you from the natural reaction of tucking up and getting small when you fall and you can't see your own hands to help break the impact.

It kind of all adds up to... THAT (Falling over like a felled TREE!) LOL !

Wonder how many times Kyle done this testing all the VR Games/Demos? Noticed he left enough space to "Move about". :p I can't stop laughing at this!
I have about broken my toe once. About broke tour tower units several times before mounting those to end wall. I only about fallen over once, it was while I was playing a yet to be released game where you wear a wingsuit. Have about broken several monitors. VR is dangerous.

lol are you serious kyle?!? only space if I can ever afford/be allowed to get the vive, is the living room area right in front of a wall mounted flat screen tv. could easily be in range if you step forward one or 2 steps.

Really no way to avoid this happening if you are standing up and subverting your senses. If you start to fall, all your automatic responses don't work. You can't see yourself falling, you are seeing something else in the headset which may keep you from the natural reaction of tucking up and getting small when you fall and you can't see your own hands to help break the impact.

It kind of all adds up to... THAT (Falling over like a felled TREE!) LOL !

True. The inner ear plays a significant role in our balance (vestibular system) which acts like a biological gyrosensor. When your vision is deprived and your auditory system is reduced (e.g. speakers), any tilt of the head can cause your brain to over correct. Otherwise known as a face plant.

For those curious, you can simulate this at home by standing on one leg, closing your eyes, and then tilting your head. Feel that over correction.

Same reason people can get motion-sickness on a boat. Their visual system isn't matching up (sensor wise) with the feedback from the vestibular system (e.g. it's sensing the rocking motion, but your visual system isn't seeing the rocking motion).

I nearly broke a toe too. I was dodging lasers in the Star Wars demo.

After that I now keep the thin mapped line on my floor. It doesn't ruin immersion for me and I know how close I am to the walls.

True. The inner ear plays a significant role in our balance (vestibular system) which acts like a biological gyrosensor. When your vision is deprived and your auditory system is reduced (e.g. speakers), any tilt of the head can cause your brain to over correct. Otherwise known as a face plant.

For those curious, you can simulate this at home by standing on one leg, closing your eyes, and then tilting your head. Feel that over correction.
Heck our brain uses visual cues to help us know what direction "up" is, all those vertical lines in our life help us. Which is why going through those crazy whacky fun houses with weird angle makes it hard to walk. Stand up, and close your eyes, after a bit you'll probably feel yourself start to be off balance

To add to what it was already mentioned, in flight school we are taught that if you lose visibility of the horizon, without the flight instruments the average time before loving control of the aircraft is about 40sec.

So indeed what happened to that guy (while still funny) is to be expected.

To add to what it was already mentioned, in flight school we are taught that if you lose visibility of the horizon, without the flight instruments the average time before loving control of the aircraft is about 40sec.
I hope you are dry humping otherwise you could catch something from the previous guy who couldnt see the horizon.
Only lasting 40 seconds, that stick must shudder hard!
Excuses of modern pilots heh.

I hope you are dry humping otherwise you could catch something from the previous guy who couldnt see the horizon.
Only lasting 40 seconds, that stick must shudder hard!
Excuses of modern pilots heh.

Haha cut me some slack, PPL student here so basically a VFR utra-noob...this is what they teach (to use protection I guess LOL) :):):)

I'm loving control of the aircraft even before the 40 seconds has passed.

Just about as awesome as the guy who tries to lean on the VR pool table. Going through in-game objects is taking "immersion" a little too far!

To me this is just a testament to how immersive the experience really is.

I have the PS VR headset. I was playing Windlands earlier. I was fine sitting down, but when I tried playing standing up; my brain couldn't figure it out. Almost lost my balance.

So indeed what happened to that guy (while still funny) is to be expected.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. There's a reason aircraft have attitude/altitude gauges, pilots can't trust what their ass is telling them.

I guess my balance and muscle feedback (feet/ankles/leg/torso position) overrule the headset for me. I had my headset spiral downward (looked like I was falling) when I turned on the headset camera... my body was fine. Instantly got motion sickness though.

Dam I now really feel for the guy. Had my first VR accident tonight. Went to sit on my chair while wearing the HMD and was on the wrong side of it and went to the floor right by my table and nearly broke the usb cable of the Vive in my PC USB port. Thankfully I only lost the Vive included USB cable. Got a minor cut in my around my armpit as I went down from the edge of my desk and slightly twisted my arm so my shoulder is a bit sore. Definitely won't do that again, I was a bit too overconfident about my place in the VR space thinking I didn't have to look before I tried to sit because I have done it so many times before.

Back