Virtual Reality 'Heroin Cave' Aimed At Helping Addicts Kick Habit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Using virtual reality to help addicts kick the habit by taking them through a simulated house party designed to trigger heroin cravings is an interesting use of the technology. Well, unless the VR treatment makes them relapse. :eek:

Addicts in a new study at the University of Houston will strap on virtual reality headsets and navigate a "heroin cave" to help them try and kick their addictions. Researchers are looking to see if making their way through a simulated house party crammed with stimuli aimed at evoking cravings for the drug will help better equip those who suffer from addiction to do so in the real world.

Seems like it would be just as easy to stage a simulated "heroin cave" party designed to have the same effect.

This seems like a pointless idea, because the person although no longer hooked on actual heroin, would then need the 'high' or adrenaline rush of going to a drug party......and it would become a routine thing that would need to be done 1-2 week, and then.....3-4 times a week......

Seems like it would be just as easy to stage a simulated "heroin cave" party designed to have the same effect.
Stage multiple parties for each drug addict? I dont know, doesn't seem very easy to me. On the other hand I guess its a good excuse to throw random parties and invite random people. On the other other hand they would have to make sure it's a party without any drugs or alcohol :(

This seems like a pointless idea, because the person although no longer hooked on actual heroin, would then need the 'high' or adrenaline rush of going to a drug party......and it would become a routine thing that would need to be done 1-2 week, and then.....3-4 times a week......
I'm not sure you read the article. The virtual drug party is not for the addicts to go to when they're craving, it's for them and the therapist to use to understand how to cope with cravings when they're in the real situation. They already are addicted to drugs (and drug parties) from the start.

Back