Virtual Box vs VMWare Player

I started with VB first with Win 7 installed. Seem to work fine, but after a few days, I began to have issues with copying files back and forth between OSes. I have the guest additions installed and it worked fine for the first few days. I also wanted to increase the size of the OS, but it seemed like a PITA to modify.

So I noticed the VMWare Player has a version for Linux, so I deleted the VB and installed VMWare Player. Easy to install, including asking me to install VMWare Tools. Seems to me that VMWare is more of a polished application. The only bummer with the free version is it does not create a snap shot like VB, but I could copy the files by zipping them.

Curious what you guys use in comparison.

I personally find VMware far better than VB. I dunno, VMware just works exactly how I expect VM software to work, under VB I always feel like everything's a compromise.

If you run linux, libvirt/kvm is definately the way to go. If you install the virt-manager package you even get a GUI admin console just like in Virtualbox.

I've used both. I prefer VirtualBox but I found that VM's (specifically Windows) seemed to run better/faster under VMWare. Have never messed around with libvirt/kvm + virt-manager, I should probably give that a try.

Back