Virtual Blues

Panda Man

Limp Gawd
I'm having some trouble with virtual memory. Whenever I run Battlefield 2, Its choppy. VERY choppy. I narrowed it down to a memory problem, and figured maybe it was the virtual memory. So i disabled it and ran BF2, and with VM disabled it ran smooth as silk. Just as a confirmation that it was in fact VM, i re-enabled it and BF2 became choppy again. Now here is the issue - I don't have enough memory to run completely on physical. BF2 will eventually crash when i run out of memory (normally about halfway through a map or when a map is fully loaded and I'm about to play). So I must have Virtual memory.

So I was wondering if anyone knew how to force BF2 to stay in Physical memory while everything else goes to the swap space.

I would buy another stick or 2 if i could, but unfortuantely I have no job right now. Actually, if it helps it was never choppy until now. I'm not sure what it is but its only choppy with virtual memory enabled, even i only allocate 64mb for virtual memory.

you hard drive you need to check what io mode it is in.

if it is PIO mode then it is taking all you CPU cycles when it writes to the drive.

Back