Virgin Mobile - Motorola Triumph

Tricyclthief

Limp Gawd
Anyone on VM buy the triumph? Currently using the LG optimus V which i got on sale at target for like $120..Havent really seen anything thats a must have for spending $180 more.. Any thoughts or opinions from uses who have or had phone? Thanks

I just got the phone last week through a promotion at Best Buy Mobile. Got the $25 Beyond Talk plan as well. The phone itself is very fast at processing apps. Connectivity and speeds, on the other hand are varied. I live in a big city (San Francisco), and you would expect to be able to get 3/4 bars everywhere you go, but with the Triumph, that's not the case.

The Triumph reportedly has antenna issues which causes it to get weaker signal than most other VM phones. I'm not sure if this could be fixed through an firmware update, but it's pretty annoying when your girlfriend's Blackberry Curve 8530 (also on VM) gets significantly better signal than you in the same spot. GPS isn't great either, since it's software based, and could take a bit longer than usual to lock on your location (1 - 3 minutes, give or take).

Besides the connectivity issues, it's a great phone. I love the screen and android in general. I came from a non-texting, no data Blackberry Curve on Sprint, and I couldn't be happier with my MT. If they fix the connectivity issues (which is rumored to be soon..), then it's one beast of a phone. Otherwise, stay with your Optimus V and wait for the Optimus Black rumored to be out sometime later this year..

I recently ditched Verizon to go with virgin since I didn't see the need of verizon's crazy prices when I don't really use my phone THAT much. That and my moto droid was being a pita.

I got the moto triumph as soon as it came out. I got the LG optimus V for my mom at the same time. Side by side the LG had better signal then the Moto triumph. The moto triumph had some serious issues getting a quick lock on GPS sats. I'm talking 1-2 minutes before it found "my location" :eek:
I've read that keeping wi-fi on helps this alot for some reason. Though I took it back before finding that out so I can't confirm if that works or not.
The other reason I took the triumph back was the very slow network speeds. At times speed test was showing ~50kb down. Other times I got at best 400-600kb. There was one or two times where I got 1500kb down, but that was very rare or very late at night.
From what I've seen on the moto triumph online the signal issue is partly hardware related. The antenna is very poorly designed and is built into the back battery cover. This surely didn't help when I was at work. I had no signal sitting at my desk when my moto droid (still active at the time) had all it's bars lit up. Comparing the LG to the moto droid at my desk when I was testing them out I found the LG had 2-5 bars lit up at my desk.
If what I read is correct part of the reason is motorola didn't put a 800MHz radio in the phone and only has a 1900mhz radio in the triumph vs the LG's duel band 800/1900mhz radio. As someone from that thread said:
Optimus V has a 800/1900mhz radio while the Motorola Triumph only has a 1900mhz radio. This means reception indoors compared to the 800mhz network will be significantly less as the lower the frequency, the better the penetration.

There are some pluses to the triumph. It's FAST and has a nice big screen. For it's size it's pretty slim as well. The earpiece was decent and call quality was good. The STEREO speakers at the bottom of the phone was a interesting surprise. Sound through those speakers was clear and loud. I really wanted to like it for those reasons. but the issues I had with it at the end of the day forced me to take it back.

I ended up getting a optimus V... It's a little faster then my moto droid. Though it does chug a little from time to time. My goal will be to keep it free from apps I don't use often to make sure the phone stays nimble. I personally like the physical size of the LG more then the moto triumph. At least when it comes to putting it in my pocket. I do miss that nice screen though. Hopefully Virgin comes out with a better phone then the triumph in a year or so. I'll be more then happy to get it's replacement when it arrives.
My average speeds with virgin and the LG is ~1500kbps so far. Sitting at my desk I got ~1200kbps. That's on par with Verizon's 3g... well almost, I normally got 1700-2000kbps out of my moto droid.

Last edited:
vm is so hit or miss in my area on data speeds, i had a optimus v and wanted to get the triumph due to the screen size but the data speeds in my area kept me from getting it.

I'm thinking of moving to the Triumph this week. I started with the Optimus V and it's been a great phone except it freezes up on me all the time. I'll post a report on the Triumph once I've had a chance to compare .

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I personally had the triumph for a week or two before I had to take it back due to the poor signal strength compared to my mother's Optimus V. Now I have the optimus V and love it. Granted it's not going to win any races compared to newer phones. However, the optimus V has a great bang for the buck. If the app count is kept low it seems the phone continues to run quite fast. In fact it's snappier then the specs would have you think it is. It feels much faster then my OG Droid.

Back