Virgin Flight Delayed By Galaxy Note Wi-Fi Hoax

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is very important to note that, in a situation like this, everyone should remain cal....OMG!! IT'S A GALAXY NOTE 7...WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIEEEE!!!!

A flight in America was delayed and almost diverted on Tuesday after a passenger changed the name of their wi-fi device to 'Samsung Galaxy Note 7'. Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones were banned from planes by the US Department of Transportation after several of the devices caught fire.

why don't they just take everyone strip them down and cage them.

jesus christ it's the most likely of upcoming flight preparations.

think of all the cages you could fit in an airplane.

and if you're fat you have to pay for 2 cages.

People don't seem to be able to get the hint here: We don't fuck around with flight.

Nobody gets to dick around at 37,000 feet. This is not the place to be a retard, this is not the place anyone is going to "lighten up".

A half inch spanner can kill 600 people, a drone, a laser pointer, a little fire in your carry-on. At 37,0000 feet little problems can kill a lot of people.

Yay for technologically ignorant people. The default SSID of a Note 7 would not be "Samsung Galaxy Note 7"

It is glaringly obvious that it was not really a Note 7.

Yay for technologically ignorant people. The default SSID of a Note 7 would not be "Samsung Galaxy Note 7"

To you maybe it would be obvious, but 99% of the people out there have no idea what the default SSID of any phone is, let alone a specific model. What this person did was just stupid. What a dick.

To you maybe it would be obvious, but 99% of the people out there have no idea what the default SSID of any phone is, let alone a specific model. What this person did was just stupid. What a dick.

I question what cyclone3d meant by being normal. I for one don't expect average Joes to recognize SM_N930 as Note 7. Most tech savvy people that I know wouldn't stick to the default SSID.

Last edited:
I question what cyclone3d meant by being normal. I for one don't expect average Joes to recognize SM_N930 as Note 7. Most tech savvy people that I know wouldn't stick to the default SSID.

They also generally wouldn't name it what the device is either.

Sure it was dumb.. but at the same time maybe they should have some tech savy people on security detail.. like look up the MAC address of the device with that SSID.

And if anybody really wanted to take a Note 7 on a plane with the Wifi AP enabled for some random reason, they could just not broadcast the SSID.

Point being.. short of strip searching everybody and searching all luggage, there is nothing they can do to prevent somebody from actually doing it.

There's a time and a place for everything.

RG0mf80.gif

Stupid prank, but massive overreaction by the crew and people here. This literally isn't worth more than a mild chuckle if anyone uses their brain at any point.

People don't seem to be able to get the hint here: We don't fuck around with flight.

Nobody gets to dick around at 37,000 feet. This is not the place to be a retard, this is not the place anyone is going to "lighten up".

A half inch spanner can kill 600 people, a drone, a laser pointer, a little fire in your carry-on. At 37,0000 feet little problems can kill a lot of people.

Agreed. There is no place for practical jokes in air travel.

Some people just need the baseball bat treatment.

Absolutely. There is so much tension on flights these days you can literally feel it. I always say if you want to see a group of people on edge who will go off with only the slightest nudge, look at the passengers of any given flight. Don't need shit like this. Sadly:

"Mr. Wojciechowski said he believed no further action was taken on the passenger with the device."

I don't think they can charge this person with anything.

They should have simply shoved it up the prankster's a## to protect the plane and other passengers from any potential thermal issues. Would also have helped teach the prankster the consequences of having his phone shoved up his own protective case. :)

I have started paying for business/first on all my flights. As stated above the tension is palpable on every flight in coach. I reimburse bag fees for all my employees travel and with the reduced business class pricing lately I will personally pay the difference (cost less bags) to upgrade even on quick jumps.

Anyone praising this or acting like it is not a big deal doesn't travel a lot or is an inherently anti-social troll. Yes it's a prank and harmless, but often flights are very time sensitive. Some mouth breather thought it would be funny to ground the plane... should receive a trip to the side TSA office for a "thorough" searching in my opinion -which I hope they have a 7 foot man with giant hands doing the cavity section of the search. Guessing it wouldn't happen again after that.

Edit: In before replies - I know what happens in the side searches and it's not that. As the typical white business man they pulled me aside a few years ago for a full search when trying to prove they weren't profiling. But one could hope for the above in that scenario.

Next time I fly I'll call my SSID "4oz bottle of water". You have to remove your phone from your person at the checkpoint, and if the TSA fails to restrict a known banned device then it's clearly their fault. If they can't prevent a note 7 onto a plan they can't prevent a note 7 looking bomb either.

Next time I fly I'll call my SSID "4oz bottle of water". You have to remove your phone from your person at the checkpoint, and if the TSA fails to restrict a known banned device then it's clearly their fault. If they can't prevent a note 7 onto a plan they can't prevent a note 7 looking bomb either.

Think about it this way though, the checkpoint saw a phone that was fine for flight. They can't check his SSID there, they checked the phone and it was OK.

One thing you have to understand about aviation maintenance and safety is that it's never supposed to be "the other guy's job". So the SSID shows up that flight stops where it is whether the phone was inspected or not.

Finger pointing is never enough when a field somewhere is full of charred corpses.

It is possible the user restored a backup of the settings from their Note 7, which could have moved their custom SSID over from the old device.

I'm all for pranks.

Pranks can be fun.

Pulling a safety related prank on an airliner -however - is a special kind of stupid.

I have started paying for business/first on all my flights. As stated above the tension is palpable on every flight in coach. I reimburse bag fees for all my employees travel and with the reduced business class pricing lately I will personally pay the difference (cost less bags) to upgrade even on quick jumps.

Anyone praising this or acting like it is not a big deal doesn't travel a lot or is an inherently anti-social troll. Yes it's a prank and harmless, but often flights are very time sensitive. Some mouth breather thought it would be funny to ground the plane... should receive a trip to the side TSA office for a "thorough" searching in my opinion -which I hope they have a 7 foot man with giant hands doing the cavity section of the search. Guessing it wouldn't happen again after that.

Edit: In before replies - I know what happens in the side searches and it's not that. As the typical white business man they pulled me aside a few years ago for a full search when trying to prove they weren't profiling. But one could hope for the above in that scenario.

I've had Dimond status several times, so I used to fly...A LOT. This shouldn't have been a big deal was my point earlier. This shouldn't ground a plane, EVER. Why? Because in that entire plane full of people and lets just use the staff for arguments sake. Not a single one of them used their brain for half a damn second and thought "This probably is just a stupid wifi name, because phones don't typically spec what they are as their default SSID". Not One Single Person used their brain for 10 seconds. Instead they acted like a bunch of fucking panicky sheep and ground a damn plane because every single one of them are morons. So no, nothing should be done to the guy just because a bunch of fools massively overreacted over the name of a SSID. Especially when there are literally only a few hundred documented cases of the phone catching fire out of MILLIONS of units. The problem here isn't the guy with the stupid SSID. The problem here is a stupid flight crew.

I've had Dimond status several times, so I used to fly...A LOT. This shouldn't have been a big deal was my point earlier. This shouldn't ground a plane, EVER. Why? Because in that entire plane full of people and lets just use the staff for arguments sake. Not a single one of them used their brain for half a damn second and thought "This probably is just a stupid wifi name, because phones don't typically spec what they are as their default SSID". Not One Single Person used their brain for 10 seconds. Instead they acted like a bunch of fucking panicky sheep and ground a damn plane because every single one of them are morons. So no, nothing should be done to the guy just because a bunch of fools massively overreacted over the name of a SSID. Especially when there are literally only a few hundred documented cases of the phone catching fire out of MILLIONS of units. The problem here isn't the guy with the stupid SSID. The problem here is a stupid flight crew.
The note 7 is on the FAA banned list. The flight crew no matter their tech savvy did exactly what they should. I'm confused about your argument... you think they are stupid because they didn't skirt a regulation assuming it was a joke?

The punishment for something like this should be being banned from flying for 5 years.

The problem is people like you say this, until they do ignore it and turns out it's legit and something happens. Then all of a sudden it's "omg why didn't they check, it was right in the ssid!!". I work with people who have 2 phones (one work and one personal) and they do actually name the wifi name xxxx galaxy 5, the flight crew did exactly what they should of because you cannot be 100% sure it isn't legit.

Everyone bringing up the note7s catching on fire I'm sure you didn't think it was stupid that they banned those stupid fucking "hover board" pieces of shit that were all the rage last year.

FAA can ban whatever they want, but for reference if they aren't catching people flying with pot and other narcotics they aren't gonna find the phone. I'd rather security focus on bombs than drugs or phones -- maybe it's just my desire to not die.

Back