Viral Video of Glitter Bomb for Package Thieves Exposed as Partial Fake

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
NASA engineer Mark Rober dazzled YouTubers this week with his “glitter bomb” video, which starred a cleverly engineered makeshift package that would blow up with glitter and fart spray as a means of getting revenge on thieves. While the contraption is genuine, Rober decided to offer an apology Thursday when internet sleuths discovered that some of the thieves were actually acquaintances.

It’s still an impressive invention, and if you believe Rober, most of the video is still legit. But Rober understands why people may not trust him anymore. “I’m really sorry about this,“ Rober tweeted. “Ultimately, I am responsible for the content that goes on my channel and I should have done more here. I can vouch that the reactions were genuine when the package was taken from my house. Having said that, I know my credibly [sic] is sort of shot but I encourage you to look at the types of videos I’ve been making for the past 7 years.”

Last edited:
Wait, I saw the "deleted" portions when I saw the video. So those two "thieves" were actually his friends? Is that it? Otherwise I don't understand what people are alleging against the video and device creator.

Edit: Oh I see. So he gave the device to his female friend, and she had some of her friends pose as thieves. And when he made the video, he didn't know about that, he thought all the recordings his friend created for him were actual thieves. Seems he's pretty blameless in this, assuming he really didn't know.

I'd be afraid of being sued for getting glitter in someone's eye.

I'd hate to end up paying a thief for "injuring" him. :rolleyes:

Does not bother me in the least nor does it change the fact that porch pirates are a Hugh problem.

OMG some of these viral videos are fake???

When you start getting paid for Viral Video's then well. I guess that it MIGHT happen every now and them. I'm sure all other videos are mostly legit though.

Reactions: Jza
like this
I'd be afraid of being sued for getting glitter in someone's eye.

I'd hate to end up paying a thief for "injuring" him. :rolleyes:
He would also have to admit to breaking the law to take said box thereby exposing himself to criminal charges.

Why glitter? Why not use something more effective like, oh, let's say ten pounds of shit?

Did you watch the video? How would you mask the smell of the shit?
I thought about a explosive paint delivery similar to the one used with money, but his simple glitter added to the smell seemed effective enough in a reusable manner. Heck at most just add something that squirts some glue first if you feel so inclined, although glitter tends to get stuck to the skin pretty effectively by itself.

Having said that, I know my credibly [sic] is sort of shot but I encourage you to look at the types of videos I’ve been making for the past 7 years.”

Hollow apology followed by shameless plug. Wow.

I was wondering if it was fake or not. But someone took a bullet for the team with glitter in the car.

My thoughts exactly. It had like 4 phones in it...

and they weren't cheap ones either.. cough sponsor is my guess cough.. when i saw that i kinda started thinking it was fake but was still cool as hell anyways so i got no complaints really.. he would of been better off using those free phones you get when you sign up for 30 days with those no contract providers.

The earth is flat too right then?
Checkmate.
5B7F1006-7865-41B9-8643-3BC56B3073EE.jpeg

Back